New Shearwater AI transmitter - the Swift

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read that the new transmitter is needed if you want to activate transmitter 3 or 4. So perhaps that’s the why pay extra?

Nope. They only recommend it because it reduces the chances of the transmitters interfering with each other. Your Perdix AI or Teric or NERD2 does not know whether it's talking to a Swift or a PPS transmitter.

They've published that there is a chance of transmitters interfering if they broadcast at the same frequency. The reason for the grey and yellow transmitters was that they have different timing, so you should use one of each. I don't know what the current chances of two grey or two yellow actually interfering is, but with the Swift you can use as many as you want and guarantee they won't interfere.

It's a great move for them because they can stop selling more than 1 transmitter and step up to supporting 4 without releasing 2 more transmitter skus with yet different timing.

They've published that there is a chance of transmitters interfering if they broadcast at the same frequency. The reason for the grey and yellow transmitters was that they have different timing, so you should use one of each. I don't know what the current chances of two grey or two yellow actually interfering is, but with the Swift you can use as many as you want and guarantee they won't interfere.

It's a great move for them because they can stop selling more than 1 transmitter and step up to supporting 4 without releasing 2 more transmitter skus with yet different timing.

I have used 2 grey ones in the past, when diving sidemount. I never had any issues with them at all, so (apparently) never any interference between them. Obviously, there is a small chance. The Swift is definitely an improvement in the regard. But, it's not worth it to me when you factor in needing a special tool to change the battery.

Between their touting "installation/removal with no special tools required", interference between transmitters, and being able to change batteries with no special tools, there is only one of those 3 that I have ever had a need for - changing the battery without a special tool. I got a thin 11/16" wrench to remove/replace my transmitters. But, I do that so infrequently that needing a special tool is just not a big deal. I have been able to do it with a normal 11/16 before. The thin version just makes it easier to do. I have never had interference. And, for that matter, you CAN use them just hand tight with no problems. If you do, you just have to make sure you check they're tight before you turn on your gas. And you have to make sure you don't try to tighten them by hand too hard and break the outer shell. Even if it's just hand snug, once you turn the gas on and there's pressure behind it, it will not come undone.

But, I have had a couple of occasions where I needed to change a battery quickly, at the last minute. Usually, when I'm just getting ready to splash, turn everything on, and that is the moment my transmitter (or computer?) chooses to give me a Low AI Battery warning. I have several transmitters, so I keep spare batteries for them in several places, to make sure I can always easily find one. Needing to also keep a special, small tool handy in multiple places as well is, well, not as nice (in my mind) as being able to use any coin or even a slotted screwdriver, if necessary.

What would have been GREAT is if they made it where you didn't need any tools at all to change the battery.

IMO the only thing annoying about the battery change is that the size isn't on my DGX metric hex multitool. Other than that I don't think it is that big of a deal.

Nope. They only recommend it because it reduces the chances of the transmitters interfering with each other
I think it's hilarious, that S/W implement this, and SB is like Oooh the best thing since sliced bread

I've been using multiple transmitters on my Eon for years with ZERO interference from the other transmitters nor and Loss of signals - admittedly I'm a small sample of only around 1000hrs under water with my set up) :)

Back in the day of the "AI wars" I remember quite a few diehards being emphatic as to why you didn't' need more than one Transmitter - Until S/W finally rock up to the party and suddenly their views change 180 degrees

Need to merge with existing thread.

I'd be hesitant to do so, as I find it to be disrespectful to be negative to a manufacturer in their forum, not that it stops a frow S?W fanboi's from trolling the Suunto forum, which causes Suunto to leave SB

I think it's hilarious, that S/W implement this, and SB is like Oooh the best thing since sliced bread

I've been using multiple transmitters on my Eon for years with ZERO interference from the other transmitters nor and Loss of signals - admittedly I'm a small sample of only around 1000hrs under water with my set up) :)

It seems like I have read reports, though, of Suunto computers sometimes losing their pairing to a transmitter. Maybe it hasn't happened to you, but am I mistaken in thinking that it has happened to some people?

The way the PPS transmitters work, that doesn't really happen. None of them are perfect.

Back in the day of the "AI wars" I remember quite a few diehards being emphatic as to why you didn't' need more than one Transmitter - Until S/W finally rock up to the party and suddenly their views change 180 degrees

It is The Way of ScubaBoard.

Before "you don't need more than one", it was "AI is terrible" ... until Shearwater came out with it.

It seems like I have read reports, though, of Suunto computers sometimes losing their pairing to a transmitter. Maybe it hasn't happened to you, but am I mistaken in thinking that it has happened to some people?

The way the PPS transmitters work, that doesn't really happen. None of them are perfect.

It is The Way of ScubaBoard.

Before "you don't need more than one", it was "AI is terrible" ... until Shearwater came out with it.
Old guy observation, in the early 70’s b/c’s weren’t needed or wanted, until they were and the improvements have made them essential for the most part. SPG were unnecessary and “dangerous” you have a “J” valve, until they weren’t. Computers are “dangerous” and unnecessary, until they weren’t, today with AI, SPG’s aren’t needed by many of us and I don’t use one but have one in my save a dive kit.
These updates are improvements and while I don’t need multi transmitters personally I welcome these changes and improvements from the top manufacturers, I’m not anti suunto but I am very pro shearwater.

Old guy observation, in the early 70’s b/c’s weren’t needed or wanted, until they were and the improvements have made them essential for the most part. SPG were unnecessary and “dangerous” you have a “J” valve, until they weren’t. Computers are “dangerous” and unnecessary, until they weren’t, today with AI, SPG’s aren’t needed by many of us and I don’t use one but have one in my save a dive kit.
These updates are improvements and while I don’t need multi transmitters personally I welcome these changes and improvements from the top manufacturers, I’m not anti suunto but I am very pro shearwater.

One thing about all that. BCs weren't needed back in the day because the wetsuits back then were practically non-compressible. So, you could get your weighting just right at the surface and then it would be pretty much the same at depth. You didn't need a BC because you didn't have to compensate for a whole bunch of buoyancy change due to suit compression.

So, it seems to me that improvements in wetsuit materials were a substantial driving factor in the adoption of BCs. Improvements in one dive tech produced a need for adoption of new tech in other areas of scuba.

In contrast, the other things you mentioned don't seem like they drove or were driven by other factors. The invention and adoption of the SPG didn't happen because some other thing changed and created a need for an SPG to replace the J valve. It was just a better idea whose time came and it naturally replaced the J valve. Computers are the same. An idea whose time came. Ditto for AI.

Next up, Shearwater needs to add a feature where you can dynamically choose/change AI transmitters. I.e. On your dive computer, go into a menu where it shows a list of all the transmitters that it "knows" and/or is "hearing". Much like on your personal computer where you can get a list of WiFi access points - both known and ones that are detected nearby. No more having to enter 6 digit #s into your computer. Put your transmitter on your 1st stage. Put your 1st stage on a tank and turn on the gas. Go on your computer and select the transmitter to be the one you want to monitor. In the water and want to check your buddy's gas? Go into the menu and scan for their transmitter, choose it and see what pressure it is saying.

Also, what would be really nice is if they made it where, when the Swift powers on, it flashes a code on its LED to indicate its current charge level. It would be nice to be able to check a transmitter's battery status without having to get out your computer and turn it on. And also to have a number (or number range) for percent of life left, rather than just having to dive it until your computer says "Low AI Battery". 1 flash for 10% or less, 2 for 30% or less, 3 for 50% or less, and 4 for "more than 50%" would be great. Or whatever code you like. 1 flash per 10% of charge remaining would be good, too, though take longer to complete.

It seems like I have read reports, though, of Suunto computers sometimes losing their pairing to a transmitter.
In the old transmitters, where you had to pair each time - lot of manufacturers had issues

Suunto on the Eon when they moved to the Pod in 2014/15 switched to the paired for life, which PPS did soon after. The only transmitter problem I've ever had was a battery failure - all down to me.

I really can't get my head around the SW worship cult. Sure they're good computers, I have an Perdix AI as an alternative to my Eon - I prefer the Eon it has less annoying features..

I get Suunto had some historical issues but. Ford build the Pinto yet people have forgiven them...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom