New Seacraft Go! DPV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got about 30 - 40 dives on mine and I've been happy so far.

...The battery life is significantly better than my Blacktip with 9ah batteries and it's faster. The Seacraft would have about 2/3 battery when the Blacktip when into low battery mode.
Where do you run yours at full speed?

I find running my Blacktip any faster than "4" (out of 8-max) is too much. Have never had the Blacktip empty the batteries even over a couple of days.

I do use mine on wreck dives and, I guess, the max bottom time is limited by deco obligations. Also I use it to get around a wreck against the current and drift back or drop inside the wreck.

Maybe your use case is in caves or long shoreline motoring?

There is no comparison between the 2. One is a $5000 dpv the other is $2000.
My $2000 Blacktip is in my garage. I've got 10 $5000 Go scooters in the shops -- they're not mine nor ever will be.

Price rules. The Blacktip is amazingly affordable. The Go/Suex/whatever is way too expensive.

There is no comparison between the 2. One is a $5000 dpv the other is $2000.

I'm not sure why people try to compare them all the time. If you have the money to buy a go, you will always be disappointed with a bt.

Maybe there is no comparison between a Blacktip and a banana. (or maybe there is).

But, there is every comparison between a Blacktip and a Seacraft Go!. And a Genesis 3.2, and everything in between.

People try to compare them so they can understand their needs and their wants versus what each scooter offers and at what cost. How else can one determine if either one will meet their needs and, if both will, which one to buy?

There is chart in this thread that offers a comparison of those plus others:

I *think* that for MOST divers, a Blacktip will do everything they actually would want to do on a scooter. It has MORE than enough depth rating, thrust, and run time for just about any single tank dive. Assuming, of course, that it doesn't crap out during the dive.

Is the Go! nicer? ABSOLUTELY. Is it worth buying over getting two Blacktips for roughly the same money? That is always a question for each individual to answer after close consultation with their own wallet.

I think an objective comparison between the BT and the Go! is a very useful exercise. I think it really helps to make CLEAR much of what makes the Go! better and explain why it costs more.

Unfortunately, it is really hard to quantify the terrible customer service that Dive-X seems to be becoming widely-recognized for. Nevertheless, comparing the two is definitely an opportunity to compare available info on that subject (anecdotal as it is) as well - another comparison that seems to be WELL in favor of the extra money the Go! costs.

Maybe there is no comparison between a Blacktip and a banana. (or maybe there is).

But, there is every comparison between a Blacktip and a Seacraft Go!. And a Genesis 3.2, and everything in between.

People try to compare them so they can understand their needs and their wants versus what each scooter offers and at what cost. How else can one determine if either one will meet their needs and, if both will, which one to buy?

There is chart in this thread that offers a comparison of those plus others:

I *think* that for MOST divers, a Blacktip will do everything they actually would want to do on a scooter. It has MORE than enough depth rating, thrust, and run time for just about any single tank dive. Assuming, of course, that it doesn't crap out during the dive.

Is the Go! nicer? ABSOLUTELY. Is it worth buying over getting two Blacktips for roughly the same money? That is always a question for each individual to answer after close consultation with their own wallet.

I think an objective comparison between the BT and the Go! is a very useful exercise. I think it really helps to make CLEAR much of what makes the Go! better and explain why it costs more.

Unfortunately, it is really hard to quantify the terrible customer service that Dive-X seems to be becoming widely-recognized for. Nevertheless, comparing the two is definitely an opportunity to compare available info on that subject (anecdotal as it is) as well - another comparison that seems to be WELL in favor of the extra money the Go! costs.
Another (minor) point of comparison - battery life.
For most (recreational) divers, they can swap batteries like they do tanks on the boat.
Aka a blacktip with (4) dewalt 12ah's, a pair for a 2 tank dive, is a good comparison for a Go that can handle both dives on a single charge
But that also increases the price point of the BT... and you risk flooding by breaking the seal on the boat

Just my 2C as someone who previously did just that with my blacktip

Where do you run yours at full speed?

I find running my Blacktip any faster than "4" (out of 8-max) is too much. Have never had the Blacktip empty the batteries even over a couple of days.

I do use mine on wreck dives and, I guess, the max bottom time is limited by deco obligations. Also I use it to get around a wreck against the current and drift back or drop inside the wreck.

Maybe your use case is in caves or long shoreline motoring?

I have a Blacktip and a Genesis 2.1.

Even on lake and wreck dives, I have wanted more speed than what the Blacktip can do - and it can only even do that for a very short time.

Just one example: I dived the Jodrey, up in the Saint Lawrence River, with my BlackTip. The current was ... well, pretty normal for the SLR. At the end, I was doing my deco going up the side of the island that the Jodrey is laying against. I had to go against the current to get back to the boat.

Long story short: The BlackTip gave me two options: Actually move against the current, but only a very short way at a time before it got too hot and shut off. Or, hold my position against the current using a gear that it could maintain for an extended period.

I haven't taken it there yet, but I am completely confident that, had I had it then, my Genesis would have towed me back to the boat speedily and without breaking a (figurative) sweat.

Your BlackTip may have had enough thrust for you, for the dives you have used it for, so far. But, a more capable scooter would let you safely dive in more challenging conditions. (and, of course, no scooter relieves you from planning for the possibility of it dying - but having two does... :))

My $2000 Blacktip is in my garage. I've got 10 $5000 Go scooters in the shops -- they're not mine nor ever will be.

Price rules. The Blacktip is amazingly affordable. The Go/Suex/whatever is way too expensive.

... way too expensive.... for YOU and your opinion and/or wallet. :)

Lastly, just being frank (but don't CALL me Frank! lol), I think you have been lucky, so far, with your BlackTip. My gut feeling is that they are not just less reliable than a Genesis/Seacraft/Suex. I think they are an order of magnitude less reliable. Which is just my way of trying to say they are not just a bit less reliable as a cost compromise. I think they are fundamentally less reliable - at least, when using power tool batteries - in a way that, because of my experience with mine, means I simply would not use it for some dives where I would use my Genesis, even though the depth, thrust, and runtime required are well within what the BlackTip can do.

And, really, at this point, there are enough high-quality scooters that can be charged without opening their hull that I wouldn't use any scooter that couldn't for any kind of "big" dive. But, that's me and my personal preference. If the dive were within the limits of depth, thrust, and burntime of a Go!, I would totally take one of those over a Suex, for example.

Another (minor) point of comparison - battery life.
For most (recreational) divers, they can swap batteries like they do tanks on the boat.
Aka a blacktip with (4) dewalt 12ah's, a pair for a 2 tank dive, is a good comparison for a Go that can handle both dives on a single charge
But that also increases the price point of the BT... and you risk flooding by breaking the seal on the boat

Just my 2C as someone who previously did just that with my blacktip

Totally agree. That is covered in my table in that other thread by the row for "Sealed hull charging".

Having to open the hull at all is bad enough. But, if you have to open it up between dives, while out on a boat or even just at the lake/shore, that is definitely another level of risk compared to being able to wait until you're "home" for the evening, can dry it off, and then open it for charging in a more-controlled environment.

The GO is an expensive treat: Initially, I bought one for my wife's birthday, so of course I needed one for myself to keep up with her.

Then our son took one for a test dive, and here goes the third unit. Now I am encouraging my daughter not to try one... 😅

We use them for shore open water long dives. For us, they have changed the way we dive. Our favorite dives sites are long, and in the past, we'd dive them only if current conditions were right, then I had to walk a couple of km to bring the car back. So we seldom dove these sites. Now, we just enter the water and dive them back and forth every weekend, and we can't have enough of them. A single charge holds the weekend's dives, I don't even bring the chargers anymore.

They are small and light, I place three in the car trunk (Peugeot 5008) together with 6 cylinders and three sets of gear.

Is the price expensive? It is. Is it justifiable? For how much we enjoy them, of course it is

Now, I know there are other DPVs just as good in terms of range, reliability, depth rating, perhaps even size and weight. At least for me, the long range/runtime on single charge + lightweight were two major considerations. Because for me it means the difference between throwing them in the car and use them all the weekend, or having to take them for charging between dives, not only more work, risk of flooding, but also having to wait until they are recharged. Considering that we also have to go to refill cylinders, it would mean for me a nuisance, and I can imagine myself eventually giving up on them if it meant such a hassle.

Hence, I can't emphasize how happy I am with the GOs.

I have a Blacktip and a Genesis 2.1.

Even on lake and wreck dives, I have wanted more speed than what the Blacktip can do - and it can only even do that for a very short time.

Just one example: I dived the Jodrey, up in the Saint Lawrence River, with my BlackTip. The current was ... well, pretty normal for the SLR. At the end, I was doing my deco going up the side of the island that the Jodrey is laying against. I had to go against the current to get back to the boat.

Long story short: The BlackTip gave me two options: Actually move against the current, but only a very short way at a time before it got too hot and shut off. Or, hold my position against the current using a gear that it could maintain for an extended period.

I haven't taken it there yet, but I am completely confident that, had I had it then, my Genesis would have towed me back to the boat speedily and without breaking a (figurative) sweat.

Your BlackTip may have had enough thrust for you, for the dives you have used it for, so far. But, a more capable scooter would let you safely dive in more challenging conditions. (and, of course, no scooter relieves you from planning for the possibility of it dying - but having two does... :))

... way too expensive.... for YOU and your opinion and/or wallet. :)

Lastly, just being frank (but don't CALL me Frank! lol), I think you have been lucky, so far, with your BlackTip. My gut feeling is that they are not just less reliable than a Genesis/Seacraft/Suex. I think they are an order of magnitude less reliable. Which is just my way of trying to say they are not just a bit less reliable as a cost compromise. I think they are fundamentally less reliable - at least, when using power tool batteries - in a way that, because of my experience with mine, means I simply would not use it for some dives where I would use my Genesis, even though the depth, thrust, and runtime required are well within what the BlackTip can do.

And, really, at this point, there are enough high-quality scooters that can be charged without opening their hull that I wouldn't use any scooter that couldn't for any kind of "big" dive. But, that's me and my personal preference. If the dive were within the limits of depth, thrust, and burntime of a Go!, I would totally take one of those over a Suex, for example.
Yep. It’s been across the Atlantic to fix a leak which was due to the “screen” leaking, basically from day zero. I can’t adjust the ballast as it’s steel shot, not lead shot, and is now one lump of rust in the nose cone. It is cheap and plasticky. The leak killed a 9Ah battery too.

However, despite this, it is cheap enough for me to get past the accountant (who bought it for a Christmas present). Now the leak is fixed, it is a pleasure to use, although it is a ballache to remove the nose cone with the scooter on its side and remove/insert the batteries without slicing ones knuckles on the sharp interior.

For $2k it’s a bargain. Am simply not in the market for a scooter at two, three or four times the price — a scooter in the hand is worth several in the shop.

The GO is an expensive treat: Initially, I bought one for my wife's birthday, so of course I needed one for myself to keep up with her.

Then our son took one for a test dive, and here goes the third unit. Now I am encouraging my daughter not to try one... 😅

We use them for shore open water long dives. For us, they have changed the way we dive. Our favorite dives sites are long, and in the past, we'd dive them only if current conditions were right, then I had to walk a couple of km to bring the car back. So we seldom dove these sites. Now, we just enter the water and dive them back and forth every weekend, and we can't have enough of them. A single charge holds the weekend's dives, I don't even bring the chargers anymore.

They are small and light, I place three in the car trunk (Peugeot 5008) together with 6 cylinders and three sets of gear.

Is the price expensive? It is. Is it justifiable? For how much we enjoy them, of course it is

Now, I know there are other DPVs just as good in terms of range, reliability, depth rating, perhaps even size and weight. At least for me, the long range/runtime on single charge + lightweight were two major considerations. Because for me it means the difference between throwing them in the car and use them all the weekend, or having to take them for charging between dives, not only more work, risk of flooding, but also having to wait until they are recharged. Considering that we also have to go to refill cylinders, it would mean for me a nuisance, and I can imagine myself eventually giving up on them if it meant such a hassle.

I’m impressed you’re able to get your hands on 3. The dealers I’ve talked to are severely backlogged

Do they have enough "power/torque/speed" to propel you through water on surface with fast enough speed?

I’m impressed you’re able to get your hands on 3. The dealers I’ve talked to are severely backlogged

I am getting potential wait times as long out as end of year from US resellers right now. Alas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom