New Seacraft Go! DPV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

macado

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Anyone see this yet? New travel / budget scooter from Seacraft. The Seacraft Go!
If I didnt already own 2 Blacktips I would buy this in a heart beat. For an additional ~800usd you get something smaller with much better engineering.

• 3500 euro which is on par with USD at moment
  • 21lbs (9.6kg)
  • 260N (~58lbs) thrust
  • Magnetically coupled prop
  • External charging port
  • Dual handles
  • ESC that wont overheat (I assume)
  • Larger battery (582Wh) than Blacktip (432Wh)and Suex XJVr (512Wh)
The Blacktip Tech is now 2100USD with 12Ah batteries going for approximately retail 319USD/each. So you're looking at ~2738USD plus tax/shipping or I think around $3600 for a Suex XJ-VR?

This makes the Seacraft Go a serious competitor in the budget / travel scooter price range in my opinion

I have been looking for a compact easy to handle DPV as I have limitations on my diving. This would really help me cover the dive site I am on while keeping joint pain to a minimum. Thanks, I will have to keep an eye on this one.
giantfroginthepool SGB

I think it is going to sell well. Seacrafts are so quiet. Also magnetic prop and external charging make virtually service free. Price is low for what it gives.

Range is >10km in double tank drysuit kit for 3500 Euro?? Am I reading this right? This is far superior to the Blacktop Tech. Am I missing something here? Any reason to consider the blacktip tech instead of this unit?

I have to reconsider my plans if this is what I am reading it to be

Very interesting offering!

Range is >10km in double tank drysuit kit for 3500 Euro?? Am I reading this right? This is far superior to the Blacktop Tech. Am I missing something here? Any reason to consider the blacktip tech instead of this unit?

3500 euros, without VAT.
20 % in France.

I would agree that this is superior to the Blacktip Tech. Having spent a lot of hours on a Seacraft Future 1000 my opinion is the engineering is much better. Not to say the Blacktip is a terrible scooter, when it was released there was literally nothing in that price range that compared to it. It is still very valid competitor in this price range and occupies somewhat of a niche market although that gap is closing with recent price increases.

Literally all the specifications (on paper) are better. When I purchased my Blacktips their retail cost was $1500 USD + batteries. They are now $2099 USD + batteries. If you're willing to spend the additional $900-1000 USD then I would get the Seacraft Go! Of course there are shipping costs and taxes but it's still a very competitive price.

The one thing about the Blacktip is you can put an aftermarket larger battery (720 watt-hour) in the scooter and there is an open source DIY firmware for people that like to tweak things. It's too early to see if you could DIY a larger battery for the Seacraft Go but I believe it's size would make this prohibitive but honestly based on the specs, you may not need to.

I suspect the drivetrain / motor is more efficient on the Seacraft Go! but I dont know the engineering enough to speculate. I'm sure someone better versed in this can correct me. I'm basing this off of the published specifications which many companies embellish.

They are claiming 10km (~6.2 miles) with a 582 watt-hours battery with a drysuit diver in doubles (2x12L). The Blacktip tech with the largest offered "stock" battery is 432 watt-hours (2 DeWalt 12Ah) and is rated to 3.5 miles. I believe that is based on Tahoe benchmark which is single tank diver in drysuit. Both of those figures are based on 150fpm (45m).

So with an additional ~150 watt-hours (25% more) of battery, the Seacraft Go! apparently has basically 40% more range. Pretty nice if that is correct but I'd really like to see test that out.

For comparison - I've done 3 miles on a Blacktip in open water with the 12Ah batteries. This was measured by towing a GPS flag and confirmed with marine electronics navigation. My drag was also significantly higher. I was using doubles and a stage. There is really not enough safe battery margin to do these dives so I've upgraded both of my Blacktip techs to 720 watt-hour (36v20ah batteries) for additional range.

I think that price is with just one battery module, I believe the max range is when fully loaded with extra battery modules.

Literally all the specifications (on paper) are better. When I purchased my Blacktips their retail cost was $1500 USD + batteries. They are now $2099 USD + batteries. If you're willing to spend the additional $900-1000 USD then I would get the Seacraft Go! Of course there are shipping costs and taxes but it's still a very competitive price.

You are forgetting duty. The same scuba gear in the US is typically a bit more expensive than Europe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom