New Scubapro S-Tek (BP/W BC's) Line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It would also explain why the only singles wing they sell has 30 pounds of lift. Where's the 18 to 24# option?
I was wondering this today when I went to look. 30lbs is a lot of lift for my size.

Soooo, I actually have finally set eyes on one in person, my LDS was just opening up their first shipment of them when I happened to drop by. And well the build quality on them was fantastic, it might not be worth the price but it definitely is more refined than anything else I have seen. The machining on the steel backplate was superb, 0 sharp edges, held it up next to a Dive Rite and one from Xdeep and the build quality was up a notch from them. The STA was in a completely other category than all the others, very sturdy, felt designed as part of a system and not just an afterthought, and the only plastic on the entire thing was the covers for the wing nuts, And those really just made it easier to tighten.

Not sure if the juice is worth the squeeze for everyone, everybody has different budgets, but if you have the scratch it’s a nice bit of kit.
I saw them today. Build quality is nice. I'm considering the switch from jacket style....but damn....$1100 with no accessories is tough!

I saw them today. Build quality is nice. I'm considering the switch from jacket style....but damn....$1100 with no accessories is tough!
For that overpriced product maybe.

But there are many other options which have far less “tech tech tech tech” logo and branding plus useless trinklets added to the harness, etc.

The more it professes to be “tec” the less it really is.

It was worth it to me. I have the S-tek Pure w/steel plate. I compared some other brand setups online and also 2 guys I dive with with a halcyon and hollis set up. Tested on few dives each and also tested the S-Tek pro. I laid out the hollis and halcyon and pure side by side, comparing features, cuts, hardware, dry fit, all that. Then after testing found the S-tek close in it's "feel" with others I tested, in fact it seemed to hug me more. Don't know how else to explain, just a feeling. Costing- the other brands about 100-200 difference, one was even closer to the S-tek price. I weighed all that. It became simple choice to puchase direct with LDS. This my first plate setup and I found the recent transition from my Zeagle horseshoe wing surprisingly and unexpectedly fast for me. I sling 16lbs of full cylinders (a steel and a stage), regs and flashlights regularly and have found the 30# lift rating...plenty. The Pur is the more basic version webbing only, and excludes the buckles and pads that comes with the "Pro" version. Overall - the fact that this brand is at my preferred LDS, and after weighing other variables, any diff in costs were negligible for me.

Much ado about nothing (online prices in USD from diverightinscuba.com because I'm too lazy to look further):
  • Scubapro S-TEK60 is $630
  • Apex WTX-D60T is $569
  • Hollis DT50 is $440
  • Dive Rite Voyager XT is $460
This feels like a Microsoft vs Apple religious battle. Get what you like and respect others who do the same. I have Scubapro and Dive Rite wings. I love both and would happily purchase either again. However, I'm eying a Hollis for my next BP/W purchase.

I do agree the S-Tek plates are crazy expensive. S-Tek Pure is $394 vs HOG, Hollis, and Apex plates that run $120-200 plus $50 for the harness. Therefore, I'm not buying one. But hey, get what you want and go diving.

Dive more, judge less.

I’m leaning toward buying one, if I can find a deal. Mikes dive store has the complete set up for about 1/2 of the US price but for some reason they aren’t accepting payment.

I’m leaning toward buying one, if I can find a deal. Mikes dive store has the complete set up for about 1/2 of the US price but for some reason they aren’t accepting payment.
I love my X-Tek. I'm sure the S-Tek will give you years of great diving.

I love my X-Tek. I'm sure the S-Tek will give you years of great diving.
Is that the one with dangly adjusters, non-adjustable D-rings and other superfluous straps?

Just get a cheap single-piece harness which will fit you and can have additional D-rings added at your leisure. Put that on an aluminium backplate, or stainless -- or both as it's so cheap.

Then get two wings: one for doubles and one for a single tank.

Much cheaper, especially if you buy second hand.

Is that the one with dangly adjusters, non-adjustable D-rings and other superfluous straps?

Just get a cheap single-piece harness which will fit you and can have additional D-rings added at your leisure. Put that on an aluminium backplate, or stainless -- or both as it's so cheap.

Then get two wings: one for doubles and one for a single tank.

Much cheaper, especially if you buy second hand.
My X-Tek has a basic Hogarthian harness with the normal shoulder D rings and no buckles or straps. Yes, you can get a cheaper rig. I just don’t think you can get a better one. Personal opinions.

Back
Top Bottom