New Rescue Procedures?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

D_B:
Although my training was 15/2 , I'm going to go with the 30/2 because of the reasons stated ... It's more important to circulate the blood that has some O2 in it, than to add more O2
I think chest compressions not being that efficient in getting the heart pumping the blood, It's better to concentrate on them

DB

I agree.

For detailed information, take a look at the this page of the American Heart Association.

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3035517

Chest compression interruption stops blood flow. Re-starting makes first few compressions less effective than later ones. The more interruptions the lesser the chances of survival from cardiac arrest. Compressions are probably more important than ventilation for cardiac arrest during the first few minutes, however, ventilation is important for victims of hypoxic arrest which is common in most drownings.

The above is paraphrased from the Summary of Changes PDF document in the above link. Lot's of good info.

The following is copy of a posting I received on Monday. It states the revision was issued Monday but does not give a date. I believe that to be Monday Nov 28th 2005.

It make an interesting read.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: Heart Association changes CPR guidelines

Renewing (and supporting) the chest compressions debate ...

Heart Association changes CPR guidelines

DALLAS, Texas (AP) -- Updating the way everyday people do CPR, new recommendations urge many more chest compressions for victims of cardiac arrest.

The revised guidelines issued Monday by the American Heart Association on cardiopulmonary resuscitation advise giving 30 chest compressions
-- instead of 15 -- for every two rescue breaths.

The guidelines also recommend that emergency personnel cool cardiac arrest patients for 12 to 24 hours to about 90 degrees Fahrenheit. Two significant studies have shown that such cooling results in improved survival and brain function for those who are comatose after initial resuscitation.

More than 300,000 Americans die each year of cardiac arrest, when the heart suddenly stops beating. The heart association estimates that more than 95 percent of cardiac arrest victims die before they get to the hospital.

Studies show that the chest compressions create more blood flow through the heart to the rest of the body, buying time until a defibrillator can be used or the heart can pump blood on its own.
Studies have also shown that blood circulation increases with each chest compression and must be built back up after an interruption, the association says in its online journal Circulation.
"Since the 2000 guidelines, research has strengthened our emphasis on effective CPR as a critically important step in helping save lives," said Dr. Robert Hickey, chair of the American Heart Association's emergency cardiovascular care programs.

According to the heart association, about 75 percent to 80 percent of all cardiac arrests outside a hospital happen at home, and effective CPR can double a victim's chance of survival.

Sudden cardiac arrest can occur after a heart attack or as a result of electrocution or near-drowning. It's most often caused by an abnormal heart rhythm. The person experiencing it collapses, is unresponsive to gentle shaking and stops normal breathing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope you find the information useful

Waynne Fowler

H2Andy:
i guess my question (not asked too well) was... assuming a trained person
performing the rescue, and doing things as they are supposed to be done,
which is best for the patient?

1. 15 compressions followed by 2 breaths

2. 30 compressions followed by 2 breaths

3. continous compressions without breaths

Number 2... I believe you need to get 'some' O2 in the system to be circulated.

chip104:
So for 30:2 on adult how many cycles to perform before rechecking pulse? One cycle, Two cycles or stay with 4?

I've been skimming through this document and couldn't find it.

http://www.americanheart.org/downloadable/heart/1132621842912Winter2005.pdf

Thanks for any clarification. Looks like I'll have to update...

From the quoted document: No change for those who are not Lay Rescuers, otherwise.

No Lay Rescuer Check
for Signs of Circulation

2005 (New): After delivering the fi rst
2 rescue breaths, the lay rescuer should
immediately begin cycles of 30 chest
compressions and 2 rescue breaths. The
lay rescuer should continue compressions
and rescue breaths until an AED arrives,
the victim begins to move, or professional
responders take over.

2000 (Old): After delivering 2 rescue
breaths the lay rescuer checked for signs
of circulation (breathing, coughing, or
movement). If there were no signs of
circulation, the rescuer was taught to begin
chest compressions. Lay rescuers were
advised to recheck for signs of circulation
every few minutes.

Why: In 2000 the AHA stopped
recommending that lay rescuers check for a
pulse because data showed that lay rescuers
could not do so reliably within 10 seconds.
Lay rescuers were instructed to look for
signs of circulation.There is no evidence
that lay rescuers can accurately assess signs
of circulation, however, and this step delays
chest compressions. Lay rescuers should not
check for signs of circulation and should not
interrupt chest compressions to recheck for
signs of circulation.

Scuba:
For detailed information, take a look at the this page of the American Heart Association.

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3035517

Chest compression interruption stops blood flow. Re-starting makes first few compressions less effective than later ones. The more interruptions the lesser the chances of survival from cardiac arrest. Compressions are probably more important than ventilation for cardiac arrest during the first few minutes, however, ventilation is important for victims of hypoxic arrest which is common in most drownings.

The above is paraphrased from the Summary of Changes PDF document in the above link. Lot's of good info.

Thanks for the great link! There are all sorts of interesting papers / abstracts on their site!

PF :10:

read the whole article, dude:

Now it's simple: Call for help. Push the chest. Don't stop.

Two rescue breaths can be given after every 30 compressions, but mouth-to-mouth is optional.

:wink:

H2Andy:
read the whole article, dude:

Now it's simple: Call for help. Push the chest. Don't stop.

Two rescue breaths can be given after every 30 compressions, but mouth-to-mouth is optional.

:wink:

The link was broken so I'll take your word for it. I agree, it's simple...
Call for Help
30 compressions (hard and fast)
2 rescue breaths
repeat

Don't check for Circulation!

Voila!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom