New Rescue Procedures?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

radinator:
I think all states have a version of the Good Samaritan laws on their books. On the other hand, some states have laws which make it a punishable offence to NOT render aid, so maybe you should rethink this.

It can be against the law not to render aid "only" if you are trained to provide the aid you fail to give. If somebody is not trained in CPR then they cannot be punished for not rendering CPR for example.

I am EMT certified and as far as chest compressions/breaths all the major agencies (unless there is an instructor that is wrongly teaching the old information) are teaching chest compressions only.

Here is their thought process behind this.

Every year countless people die because people that are trained in CPR don't provide it properly. Many times you will have somebody that is not breathing and has a pulse. The problem is that this pulse is really not doing anything (false pulse). So, the person that is providing aid only gives them rescue breaths and no compressions.

The new teaching method is that if they aren't breathing you don't even try for a pulse. You automatically start compressions and don't stop until you are relieved or until you physically can't any more.

The theory behind this, and there are studies to support this, is that the chest compressions, if done with the proper force, actually compress the lungs enough to oxygenate the blood. This is not necessarily the best way but is better than no compressions at all and greatly simplifies the process for the layperson.

I am not saying these are all my views, only this is what the industry is going towards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom