New Regulator Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Excuse the n0ob question, but what's "WHAMO"?

Poor attempt at humor/sarcasm - the original maker of the Frisbee (aside from the Frisbee pie company).....

When he threw out the "life support" phrase, he already showed his cards.....

****, I already knew the old toy company, "Wham-O". I thought it was you guys' uber Scuba acronym for a certain group of manufacturers. I was overthinking it, lol.

Cards....I have a dive instructor for 45 years and a regular repair tech for 30 years so, yes life support means something to me.

MK2 Evo's have one HP Port. For $20 more you can get a Mk11/R195 that has 2 plus 2 of the 4 LP ports are HFP (high-flow)

Neither has a swivel though. Since you might be going to Boulder, check with Beaverdivers.com - they're a SP Platinum Reseller - and frequently offer specials in our Hot Deals forum.
Agreed! A Scubapro MK11 may suit your needs better.

I have here with me multiple 1st stages: Apeks DST, Aquatec RG-2000F, Aquatec RG-2100F, Dive Rite RG3, Dive Rite XT, Hollis D1, HOG D1, HOG D3, IST R-860.
Those 1st stages share very similar if not the same appearance and internals. Breathe almost the same too.
Their respective 2nd stages vary, some are the exact same design with different cover only, some are different.

I'm an Aquatec Taiwan distributor and they source their regs from both ODS and SDS, and I do think that their Regs is of a good built quality.
The bad rep is more or less only because Quality Control.
With good Quality Control I don't think there will be problems with buying regs from ODS or SDS, or from the Company who source from them.
Basically almost everything can be made in Taiwan and China these days. :D

Just choose whichever suits your need, just make sure that you can get it serviced easily.

P.S. : If you want to order directly to Manufacturer, of course there will be a Minimum Order Quantity, which is very big. That's why I chose to buy through Aquatec, can buy in smaller number. :D

Last edited:
I have here with me multiple 1st stages: Apeks DST, Aquatec RG-2000F, Aquatec RG-2100F, Dive Rite RG3, Dive Rite XT, Hollis D1, HOG D1, HOG D3, IST R-860.
Those 1st stages share very similar if not the same appearance and internals. Breathe almost the same too.
Their respective 2nd stages vary, some are the exact same design with different cover only, some are different.

I'm an Aquatec Taiwan distributor and they source their regs from both ODS and SDS, and I do think that their Regs is of a good built quality.
The bad rep is more or less only because Quality Control.
With good Quality Control I don't think there will be problems with buying regs from ODS or SDS, or from the Company who source from them.
Basically almost everything can be made in Taiwan and China these days. :D

Just choose whichever suits your need, just make sure that you can get it serviced easily.

Who is "SDS" please? Can you give a link? I know about "ODS" but not about "SDS."

Cards....I have a dive instructor for 45 years and a regular repair tech for 30 years so, yes life support means something to me.

that really doesn't mean anything. They will train any shop monkey to be a repair tech and same with an OW instructor. Start doing dives where if the regs fail you die, and then we can have a discussion, but if all you are doing is recreational OW profiles, "life support" is not an applicable term for what a regulator does for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom