New Regulator Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

De nada... like you, I don't really care which CNC my regs came off of. I dive Atomics in the ocean and Hogs in the caves. Why? They're simply set up that way.

In reality, the biggest problem with modern regs come from neglect. I'm probably the worst in that regard and there's simply no real excuse. I rebuild them every other year or so, and they give me great service.

no, just commenting that holding those cards has minimal bearing on your qualifications to judge regulators. You clearly have not taken them apart next to each other, and you clearly have no actual expert opinions on the matter that truly qualify you to judge them, otherwise you would not have that opinion. If your opinion was "I don't want to support the cheap manufacturing, potential exploitation, etc etc that goes on in Asia so I choose to spend money locally" then fine, but saying you won't judge something that is made by a computer *because yes, all regulators are made by computers, not by hand*, because the computer is located in Taiwan instead of Europe is just plain ignorant and racist. I'm sorry, but you really are not qualified to go out and say you aren't going to trust regulators that are built and designed by engineers to equal if not higher quality than other regulators on the market *yes, the chrome plating on the regulators in ODS is in fact higher quality than that used by Apeks which has been proven time and time again in the caves*, just because they are built in Taiwan.
Ok I leveled up, So now I'm Ignorant and a racist because bought a Scubapro(European made)regulator instead of a Taiwan copy of a European made regulator (Wow). And that taking regulators apart and comparing them side by side will show me that they are all the same (REALLY), I have opened up a Hog and guess what it looked like a copy of an Apeks (old design), but that tells you nothing.
Look I don't care if you can go back 30 miles in a cave with China knock off, that your business.
But know this I worked for 2 years for a manufacture after I retired, and the quality control from the equipment we took out of the containers from China was poor. In fact my job was to sort though it and fix it if possible. I test all the regulators that came out of those containers and 30% had problems. The computers and CNC machines maybe the same but in my experience the quality control was not.
One last thought, I like Scubapro Regulators because they are made by Scubapro. Scubapro regulators were made in the US, and now they are made by Scubapro Italy, it could be made by Scubapro Taiwan it would not matter, because it was made by Scubapro (Scubapro makes there own regulars). Do you get the difference?

and if you said "I don't like them because of bad QAQC, and would rather support scubapro" then it would be different but to come out and flat out say that you would never trust something made there, just because it is made there, is truly ignorant and racist. If the company you worked for didn't hold them to high QAQC standards, then that is their fault, the companies are perfectly capable of producing top quality products, it is whether you hold them to that standard or not

"Really" LOL

"Really" LOL
I'll ask again since you may have missed my question:
Is there something specific about Taiwan that concerns you?

Edit: oops, it wasn't you that brushed Taiwan with the broad brush.

Instead, I'll ask; if I wanted to work on my own regs, which manufacturer would you recommend?

Last edited:
or the middle ones mfg'd by apeks

I don't like the hard, damageable, oriface of the Apex, or the HOGS. I have HOGS and Zeagles but prefer the replaceable no-edge oriface of the Zeagles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom