New Regulator Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't see many posts about Cressi, are their regulators not of the highest reputation like the others in this thread? How does the Cressi XS Compact Pro / MC9 SC model stack up? Or keep it off my list?

Last edited:
Lots of good advice above. I'd buy a ODS version, ScubaPro or Atomic. But I don't think you can get a first, primary second and alternate second for $300. You should up your budget or think about buying a good quality used reg. Don't skimp on regs.

For the record my first reg bought was a new ScubaPro and since I've bought used 2 more SP first stages and 2 second stages. I love my regs but doing it now I'd probably get one of the ODS versions.

Lots of good advice above. I'd buy a ODS version, ScubaPro or Atomic. But I don't think you can get a first, primary second and alternate second for $300. You should up your budget or think about buying a good quality used reg. Don't skimp on regs.

@diverrex: Thanks, yeah don't wanna skimp. I already have an Oceanic alt/octo, so I'm only looking at primary 1st/2nd stage sets for under $300. Oceanic, HOG, ScubaPro, Atomic, Hollis, Sherwood, etc. I'm not familiar with ODS, but will read more.

Last edited:
well you already have a regulator that ODS made, so you're more familiar than you might have thought. All of the AUP *Aeris, Hollis, Oceanic* regs come out of there...

Save your money and buy a middle range Scubapro regulator. This is your life we are talking about. Go to your local store and make a deal (its winter and things are slow). Why anyone would want to buy life support equipment from WHAMO is beyond me.

tone, I do know that 20 years ago they were using a regular from apeks, I think a USA 4, it was cheap at the time about 80 bucks first and second stage. They were using it because it was cheap (they needed lots of them for stages), configured will, and it breathed good with Helium. Im sure that's what is going on today.
But, I think that a diver also has to think about some other things other than price. How much testing has been done on WHAMO regulars, what kind of support do they have( will WHAMO still be there in 2 years from now), can they be fixed on vacation. WHAMO may work great but I would rather trust my life to a Scubapro. Sorry

would love you to go tell that to Hollis and Dive Rite and see their response to that because there has been a lot of testing that has gone into these regs. They don't just hand out CE ratings to anyone...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom