New Petrel doesn't work with Mac?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OMANDIVER

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all, just bought a new Petrel . Doesn't seem compatible with Mac OSX 10.9.3. First off instructions on the website about downloading firmware don't exist for Mac only PC. The manual has nothing of use. Mac(Safari) doesn't seem to have an application to read the aes file. (no instructions about this in the manual). I bought the VPMB option and its as this that doesn't exist as to how to get it onto unit . anyone out there tried to do this?

Last edited:
First, you have to download the Shearwater Desktop software. Once you've downloaded and installed that, you can use it to update the firmware, to download dives or to upload contact info for the start screen. They make it for Mac and PC.
yup I know, but it doesn't update the firmware unfortunately. there is no file to select.

yup I know, but it doesn't update the firmware unfortunately. there is no file to select.

Petrel Downloads | Dive Computer Firmware & User ManualShearwater Research

Firmware Update Instructions (detailed pdf instructions)

Note: Updating the firmware will reset the decompression tissue loading.

1. Save the above .aes to your desktop or laptop computer.
  2. In Shearwater Desktop, go to Dive Computer > Update Firmware… and select the firmware .aes file.
  3. On your Petrel, navigate to Dive Log > Upload Log and wait for the 3 minute countdown timer to begin.
  4. Go back to Shearwater Desktop and click the Start button.

See also: http://www.shearwater.com/downloads/shearwater-desktop-download/

It's not Winblows or Mac specific, and nothing above says it is.

Why did this have to be spoon-fed to you?

Reactions: Jax

---------- Post added May 28th, 2014 at 01:04 AM ----------

Mac wont read the aes file so it cant be saved to disk.

---------- Post added May 28th, 2014 at 03:43 AM ----------

do you have to be such an arse?

Last edited:
Sorry, can't help with the Mac issue,... I am no computer guru. As for the VPM, you should have an unlock code (usually 16- 20 digits & letters) that is specific to your computer's serial #. Turn on the Petrel, scroll through to the System Setup. Once there, scroll through the menu until you get to the point that has the "unlock" portion & choose it. Put the code you are given into the Petrel. That will let you use the VPM. If you can show that you have paid for it, email Shearwater & they will likely send you the unlock code. It is typically not automatically unlocked from Shearwater.

I'll try not to be an arse. It's hard.

I am running 10.9.3 on an older xServe. My first problem was getting the bluetooth to speak to the petrel or predator (I have both). Turns out, the dongle driver was the problem. The IR dongle for my Uwatecs is just as bad, and you can't tell which part isn't working. I run firefox instead of safari. Can't help with a Safari issue. The shearwater software installed perfectly, but the computer firmware must match the firmware in the software. I had a friend borrow my predator, and he had it about 6 months, doing the firmware updates every time they had one. I got it back (I never do firmware updates) and my predator wouldn't speak tot he Mac. So, you have a lot of places to go look, but I'd make sure my bluetooth was working first (have your computer speak to your phone), then make sure you have the latest release from Shearwater Desktop, then make sure the latest firmware is in your petrel. If it all crashes down, give Lynn a shout either here or by e-mail. She answers these questions all day long.

Reactions: Jax
I'll try not to be an arse. It's hard.

I am running 10.9.3 on an older xServe. My first problem was getting the bluetooth to speak to the petrel or predator (I have both). Turns out, the dongle driver was the problem. The IR dongle for my Uwatecs is just as bad, and you can't tell which part isn't working. I run firefox instead of safari. Can't help with a Safari issue. The shearwater software installed perfectly, but the computer firmware must match the firmware in the software. I had a friend borrow my predator, and he had it about 6 months, doing the firmware updates every time they had one. I got it back (I never do firmware updates) and my predator wouldn't speak tot he Mac. So, you have a lot of places to go look, but I'd make sure my bluetooth was working first (have your computer speak to your phone), then make sure you have the latest release from Shearwater Desktop, then make sure the latest firmware is in your petrel. If it all crashes down, give Lynn a shout either here or by e-mail. She answers these questions all day long.

many thanks, yes bluetooth works fine with other devices. Am getting there but its not necessarily straightforward!

---------- Post added May 28th, 2014 at 11:23 AM ----------

Of course it can. Right click the download link & choose "save as".

I have exactly zero problems with my Petrel regarding Mac OSX 10.9.3, firmware, Shearwater Desktop, MacDive and Subsurface.
thanks, you are both wrong and right. there is no application to read the aes file. But in the event it doesn't matter. I followed the Windows instructions.

many thanks, yes bluetooth works fine with other devices. Am getting there but its not necessarily straightforward!

---------- Post added May 28th, 2014 at 11:23 AM ----------

thanks, you are both wrong and right. there is no application to read the aes file. But in the event it doesn't matter. I followed the Windows instructions.

Hi Omandiver,

I am sorry you had trouble getting Bluetooth to work with our product and a Mac.

We will try to make a more Mac-friendly version of the instructions. Please let me know if you are still having trouble with the update.

Best regards,
Tyler Coen
Shearwater Research

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom