New long lasting regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

they just didn't perform as I thought they would on deeper dives , I was talked in them when I wanted to replace my Poseidon's.

You should never replace Poseidons with anything but Poseidons ;-)

I have a bunch of old Poseidon Jetstream, plastics, they have hold up for decades and i think they will hold up for decades to come. My experience is that good quality plastics hold up better than metal in this kind of use.

I have found the old Sherwood plastic seconds stand up quite well. I do like diving metal seconds, I'm not as particular about brand as some would like, but I dove a lot of plastic without any problems before I had the means to start rebuilding the metal seconds.

Bob

If, for some reason, my plastic reg body cracks and can't be replaced after 20 years of use, do I *really* care?? If my 1st stage is worn out and I can't get parts to refresh it after 20 years, do I really care??

I mean, a 2nd stage is (generally) way cheaper than, for example, a Shearwater computer. I.e. they're not THAT expensive.

I guess there is a nostalgia factor in using the same regs you got certified on or whatever. But, is there any really practical value to buying regs based on still being able to keep them going after 30 years versus 20? Are we preparing for a post-apocalyptic world where regs are no longer made, but we can still run our compressors?

I'm struggling to spot a legitimate concern about buying any of the modern, name brand regs (e.g. ScubaPro, Atomic, Apeks, etc.). Personally, I'd rather have a G260 (plastic) than an A700 (metal). The 260 body won't corrode, even if I totally abuse it. And if SP were to stop making the parts, I would stock up on a spare body or 2 for the 260, for $20 each, and have them to get me through the next 20 or 30 years... Seems way better than an A700 body for $200. Especially since a dropped tank could ruin either one.

we can still run our compressors

I am sure that you can run them in these circumstances by having enough hamsters and/or rabbits to run them without electric power.

I guess there is a nostalgia factor in using the same regs you got certified on or whatever.

Nostalgia is fun, but my newer regs are better to dive with than an old Nemrod double hose. I'd need a machine shop to keep it running if it broke, so I only make a few dives in fresh water each year.

But, is there any really practical value to buying regs based on still being able to keep them going after 30 years versus 20?

Almost any reg can last that long, dependent on use, maintenance (user and professional), and the availability of parts.

I have always based my choice of regs on the best value I could afford on a tight budget. Other divers have other options.

Bob

I will not be using any regs in 30 years. My exit plan is 80 and out. Maybe a couple years beyond that if my health is good. I'll be happy to be diving when I'm 75 and after that, who knows. But for the next 20 years I'll stick with my HOGs and maybe a Deep 6 or two so I can service em myself with no hassles. I've considered starting to stock up on service kits just for my regs.

Which current production regs do you expect to have similar or better legacy in 30 years?

None of them.

Parts availability is the limiting factor. Parts for the Conshelf are, as Herman points out upthread, available mainly because they are specified by military and commercial users that are reluctant to change.

Nostalgia is fun, but my newer regs are better to dive with than an old Nemrod double hose. I'd need a machine shop to keep it running if it broke, so I only make a few dives in fresh water each year.
Bob
Seems like Nemrod Snark III's are the unloved child of the double hose world, occasional NOS parts emerge but generally no-one supplies anything like the reproduction parts that are available for the USD/Aqualungs, Voits etc...
Yet the Nemrod was the last one standing... lasting into the early 1990's with SEAL training units.

None of them.

Parts availability is the limiting factor. Parts for the Conshelf are, as Herman points out upthread, available mainly because they are specified by military and commercial users that are reluctant to change.

Servicekit for Conshelf, at least first stage, is the same as for regs that is still in production, most parts are the same, thats the reason, not the military demand.

I use Conshelf yoke 1'st stages when travel and Titan LX Supreme ACD DIN at home, paired to old Poseidon Jetstream.

The poseidon regs are still in production, even the 60 year old Cyklon. :)

Last edited:
None of them.

Not exactly, the Conshelf parts are still available because the old Titan was produced until around 2008 and more importantly, the same HP seat and main diaphragm are still used in almost of the current AL line. All the other service parts are common orings (again most are still used in in the current regs) so even if an "official" kit was not available, the required parts are easily gotten as separate parts or as part of a kit from another current production model.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom