New Hoseless Dive Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gud Timez

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey everybody,

I'm brand new to the forum, and I am getting back to scuba diving this spring. My wife will finally be getting certified and we will both be buying a complete kit of equipment. Do you guys have a specific recommendation on a noseless dive computer?

Thanks in advance for the help!

GT

I use the Oceanic VT4 (the VT4.1 is what is out there now). Good solid computer. Be aware that nearly any wirelss dive computer can lose the air pressure signal with the transmitter... That's probably the #1 complaint of wireless computers. I persoanlly have an SPG (submersible Pressure Guage) as a back-up, in case of failure,... but that's just me.

There are a lot of brands that are good. Suunto makes good ones, but I don't use them as I'm old and can't read the little numbers, I just can't decipher what the number is I'm looking at. Now I have a Scubapro Luna, very good and larger screen and you can also change the layout.
More important is also what you're willing to spend. Because for recreative simple diving a Suunto Vyper Air is fine.

I use an Uwatec Galileo Sol. Lots of features, but more important to me is the large face and multiple displays where I can enlarge those portions most important to me. Very expensive though. I got mine through a Scubapro promotion for about 1/2 price.
Like Tammy, I carry an spg as well as a second watch computer.

Do you guys have a specific recommendation on a noseless dive computer?
Welcome to SCUBAboard!

We use the Scubapro Galileo Sol in our rental & training. It is an excellent hoseless dive computer.

If you are interested in more info on both new or used, visit Beaver Divers

Thanks for all the help. I stopped by the dive shop today that we are taking classes from and the owner said that he too uses the Galileo. That thing has a strong price tag, but I really don't won't to skimp on something that is intended to keep me alive under water! I emailed the owner this evening to see what the price would be if I were to go ahead and purchase everything for both my wife and I at one time. Hopefully he can cut me a little discount.

You should be aware that there are two implementations of air time: Uwatec, Oceanic, Atomic have the better one, and Suunto and Liquivision the simpler (inferior in my opinion). In the first group the air time includes the ascent with all the stops, which is a good safety feature.

Hatul makes a good point re backup hosed SPG.
I use a Suunto D9 and ever since it crapped out in the middle of a dive, I've mounted a small analog pressure gauge on my spare high pressure port so as not to have to abort another dive.
The issue with the failure was the battery in the transducer.

Back
Top Bottom