New guy from Central Ohio need instructor advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

softballer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I live in Circleville and have always wanted to get certified. I have went the tropics on multiple occasions but always missed out. I am interested in a beginner scuba course in Columbus and found that referrals are like gold in this industry. I am looking into the underwater connection but haven't pinned anything down yet.

I also realized that the twin quarries are about 5 minutes from me so I was hoping to finish with my open-water dives there - but I would go elsewhere to satisfy that requirement with a better instructor.

Any referrals would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome welcome! I was certified at Central Ohio School of Diving. I would recommend checking them out, i know they can do their checkout dives at the twin quarries!

Welcome welcome! I was certified at Central Ohio School of Diving. I would recommend checking them out, i know they can do their checkout dives at the twin quarries!

Thanks, I shot them an email 3-4 days ago because their website doesn't contain any information about training.

I still haven't heard back from them so I kinda marked them off.

Another vote for Columbus Scuba. Andy Silverman is a personal friend and one hell of a good instructor as are his staff. You will also get a thorough education. Not a two weekend teach yourself course. Tell him I referred you. He is in Andros right now but will be back beginning of Feb.

Last edited:
Thanks,

I appreciate the assistance I have received so far. I am doing my best to read as much and learn as much as possible before I jump in with two feet.

Todd's Scuba is right there at CTQ and lots of instructors teach at the quarry. You can call Todd or John at home if the quarry is closed and they can match you to an instructor who meets your needs. It really isn't about the shop or the certification agency; it's the instructor who will make or break your experience. By all means meet and talk with several before starting your certification - you'll be glad you did your homework.

i just did drysuit with andy at columbus scuba inc. great guy, i would send my kids to him for owd class

I got my OW certification with Underwater Connection. The check out dives were held at CTQ. Then I got AOW with ASk. (I believe ASK is now Aquatic adventures.) Those check out dives were held at White Star. Both experiences were good. However, I know Aquatic Adventures has a massive dive center that UConn does not.

Hope it helps. Once you get certified, if you need a dive buddy, look me up. Im about 50 mi NW of CTQ. Joe

And don't forget -- every Tuesday from early-March till late Nov/early December there is a group that dives at CTQ. Beginners welcome and encouraged! Usually in the water by 17:30-18:00 and at Gibby's for beer and bold-faced lies by 20:00. There is also a dive club in Circleville that meets one Monday a month (think they meet at Gibby's) - forgot which but think they just had it this week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom