Hello from Ohio....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm pretty sure the dive shop i certified with purchased Gilboa... Columbus Scuba Inc.

Not exactly true. Gilboa was purchased by a partnership (Full Tank LLC) with Andy Silverman being one of the operating partners. To say Columbus Scuba purchased Gilboa is not quite true and Andy is the one that makes that very clear. Here is a thread that has the details:
Gilboa Quarry Changing Hands

Welcome to ScubaBoard @matt45648!

Ohio quarries I've been in:

Gilboa (best viz, coldest, set up really well for all kinds of diving, great new owners).
White Star (probably second best on the viz, second coldest probably, fills, etc. available on weekends).
Todd's Scuba Circleville Twin Quarries -- small, shallow, and water gets pretty green in July\August, but a really fun place and put together really well for diving. A shop that is usually open weekend mornings.
Lakeview RV (Lancaster Ohio) -- more in there than you would think at first glance (getting out to the old two-seater plane makes for a good dive). Available for diving, but no "dive" facilities there. (Don't plan on getting fills, etc. there.)
Northpoint Quarry (Newark, Ohio) -- somebody did a lot of work to set this place up for diving, so good in that sense. Viz is not good. Would like to get there again sometime. (No fills available.)
Sugar Grove quarry -- only available for diving with Scuba Unlimited out of Cincinnati. (I think they are allowed to do training there.)

Other Ohio dive sites that I have not tried:

Natural Springs (New Paris, on Indiana Border)
Nelson Ledges (Northeast Ohio).

If you're near Cincinnati, Pennyroyal in Kentucky maybe within striking distance.

Just some thoughts. Have had fun at all the mentioned places, and Ohio divers seem to be a good community of people generally. Be ready for really cold water outside of July\August -- or anytime you go deeper than about 25 feet.

For a dive computer I've been looking at the Shearwater Peregrine. Thoughts?

You picked a highly reputable brand; which model is best for you depends on you, what you want to do and the trade-offs you're willing to make in terms of price and features. Assuming you're not after the wristwatch form factor of the Teric, compare the Peregrine with the Perdix A.I. and think about whether having your gas pressure on your computer display, where you monitor depth, dive time and NDL, and having your computer log start and end gas pressures for your electronic log book, it worthwhile over time...despite the higher initial cost.

Howdy and Welcome to SB from Texas!!! Dive right in the water's fine!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom