New gear - spend my money !!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott M

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
OK, here goes. I am or will be newly certified this coming Sunday.

I have checked every web site on the net and read every review I could find on new equipment. All this accomplished was to confuse me more than before.

My basic use will be to do most of my diving in a local lake, early summer to late fall. Mostly just for fun and tend my moorings. Maybe two carribean vacations a year with friends.

Some things I like:
-Wrist computer AI with future Nitrox campatabilities and a back up SPG with a compass.
-I like the Henderson gold core with hyperstitch.
-I would like a BC that is easy to use but able to grow. Since I will not diving 200 times a year I will need one that is easy to adjust bouyancy with.

Other than that I am open to suggestions.
I need everything. My current mask, fins and snorkle are not suitable for diving.

So, Lets money is no object but do not want to waste any either. What would you buy or recommend.

In other words if money grow on trees what would YOUR wish list be?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Scott M

Edit: My area is really remote and there are only a few LDS with very little stock so trying equipment out is nearly impossible.

Your have to do the leg work and decide what is good for you. Do a search under this subject. It has been asked alot, myself included. Dive safe. :)

Make sure your gear is black. It's very important....

Scott M once bubbled...

So, Lets money is no object but do not want to waste any either. What would you buy or recommend.

In other words if money grow on trees what would YOUR wish list be?

As cobalt said, do a bunch of research....Then, go visit a few dive shops, even if you have to take a trip to do it. Look online also...

I'd get a Suunto Vytec with AI (you said money was no object). You'll have to define what is waste to me...I get confused.

Also, a few steel LP 100's...

Dacor Tiger fins, or splits if you feel you want split fins...

Mask: Whatever fits.

If money is no object, ditch the wetsuit and go for the DUIO CF200 drysuit, assuming your water is 70F or colder. Your location isn't listed, so I'm not sure if your water is warm....mine is not, at all...LOL

Apex AT50 reg, perhaps an AT40 for an octo...

Halcyon BP & W combo. (I have the dive-rite transpac with the rec wing and love it, but you said I could spend the cash if I wanted to do so)

Good luck!

mwilding once bubbled...
Make sure your gear is black. It's very important....

Am I Doing It Left...? :dunce:

don

CobaltBabe said it pretty well. If I could convince you to do one thing it would be to wait longer than you think you can. Having a strong desire right now will likely lead to some purchasing which you'll re-think later. I can't prove that to you - it's just something that you learn the hard way. If your lucky, you'll not end up with any equipment that you really hate or regret. Worst case, you'll be spending alot to get it right by the trial-and-error method.
Try out as much gear as you can and focus on gear that you really need/want. The mask/fins/etc. should be first. Exposure protection will be next if you aren't fortunate enough to dive exclusively in really warm waters. BCD and reg next (in that order IMHO if you can't swing both at once), and these are very critical and probably where most of your money will go. I'd think alot about the computer. There are som many considerations. It would really be a great idea if you just used a simple SPG/Depth/Timer set up for awhile until you gain some mastery of diving plans and tables - it really does complement the computer if you know these well.

Well, don't rule out the possibility of wanting to venture into more challenging waters in the future. However, for your recreational gear the following list will give you trouble free service at a reasonable price.

First off, the mask; TUSA released the "visualator" this year, and all I can say is WOW. Great mask, the most unobstructed field of view that any mask has offered to date. Seriously consider it!

Fins; Split fins, high tec fins and so on look good on paper, but the finest fins on the market for years (in my opinion) has been the MARES Quatro fins. Easy on the legs and will accommodate all fining techniques. It won't break the bank, but they are not the cheapest on the market either.

As for a BCD; Do yourself a favour and go weight integrated. The best bang for the buck is MARES again with the Vector Platinum weight integrated BCD. Solid built, comfortable and will last for years.

Before I can recommend a regulator, I'd need to know if you will be doing most of your diving in warm of colder waters. Their are alot of very good regulators on the market that simply do not perform well in colder waters. However the ones that work flawlessly in cold waters may not have some of the finer traits that the warm water regs have. As for what constitutes colder waters, it is any temp below 6c or about 43f. The most common failure is the reg blowing into free flow.

As for a wireless air integrated dive computer, I'll let some of the other divers online who own one report on how they like them. For myself, I avoid them, but that's a personal preference again.

Hope this helps and is what your looking for.

I second the Vytec and the backup SPG. However, don't put a compass in the console and put it instead on your wrist. It's more convenient to use that way, and the SPG will be almost invisible if clipped away since it's lighter than a console. You will love the fact that all the information is right on your wrist without needing to pull a console in front of you.

As for the other gear, here is what I'd do if money is no object, (I already did) but YMMV.

Mask: try a bunch for good fit and comfort. But get a low volume one.
Fins: I like the Atomic Split fins. They are stiff enough for good control, are efficient with good power, and have great foot pocket and buckle system.
Regulator: I like my Atomic B1 a lot. The B2 is out, replacing the B1. Also look at the M1. I will get another B1 when I go to doubles, because I love it so much. If you do cold(<40F) water diving, look at the Apeks.
BCD: I like the Seaquest Balance because of its minimalism. I now have a Halcyon backplate/wing, but I think I would've gone for the Balance if I had no intentions of eventually getting some technical dive training.

If you've got to buy something right away(been there), go for the best regulator you can. Apeks or some of the ScubaPro regs are worth a look.

Masks and fins come and go, but regulators can easily be lifetime.

On that note, a BP/wing setup is certainly worth a look. If you're going to be diving with no thermal protection, aluminum would be the way to go. You can just add weight for cold water and eventually get a steel plate if you want. I'm partial to Halcyon wings, however, I think you can do with any manufacturer's plate and save a few bucks. The rig is infinitely adjustable and will likely outlive us all.

Are you going to do _any_ diving where a wetsuit is appropriate? The suggestion to go dry might be the best one here.

What I dive...:

SeaQuest Raider w/SQ AirSource.
Aeris Atmos AI w/compass & quick disconnect.
Apeks ATX200 reg.
Apollo Pro Splitfin.
SeaVision. Hi/Lo vis. lens.

Research..research..& research some more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom