New filter stack ideas for my Bauer Mariner 190

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Agro,

I'm not trying to fix the existing tower I'm more after new filtration system ideas.

Thank goodness for that.

As an exercise before this thread went off on a tangent with this repair with a bolt nonsence. Take a quick look at four simple engineering principles.

1. Hoop Stress. For a thin wall pressure vessel
2. Roarks Therory and Formula for stresses
3. Area Compensation under ASME B31.3
4. Youngs Stress/Strain Modulus

Stress over strain equals fatigue.

Put another way you have a fully blown up Party Balloon full to capacity and you about to stick a pin in it.
After you stick the pin in ...........Will it leak I guess is the question.

For an easy life just call Bauer and get a direct replacement. Even an aftermarked filter or filter / separator will be a pain to mount on that frame, the relief valve wont fit direct and the drain post will all need re piping. Aftermarket filters would be less than half that of the Bauer but too much hassle IMHO .

The Coltri system is a good one and, while I would love to sell you one, it would be a major pain to pipe up. I second Ian's suggestion for original equipment.

So I decided to go with a filter stack provided by Jim Shelden, I'm hoping it won't be too hard to adapt as I do have space to make it work. It may be a bit hard getting the plumbing in the right spot for the auto drains but will post once it arrives.

So I decided to go with a filter stack provided by Jim Shelden, I'm hoping it won't be too hard to adapt as I do have space to make it work.

You dont say what you have ordered but space is the least of your worries. If you have ordered a replacement Bauer shell (the tube without the end cap and base plug) its a 20 minute job everything fits and uses the same U clamp and Relief valve and Post attachment. The lower plug remains the same and the upper cap with the relief valve simply screws on by hand.

In addition the repair blends into the original build specification and it retains it's original Bauer build status when using professional servicing agents for any further repair or reselling etc

On the other hand If you have purchased a different after market filter then non of the above will fit and hope dies last as you now have at best what is described as a Frankenstein build spec. And the value of the compressor just got devalued (if in your case its not a big deal) and the hours of labour needed to get the thing fitted mount up your time and cost.

Now depending on what you bought a small 16 or 18 inch long filter or the longer 27 or 33 inch filter tower or a filter separator tower or with additional separator you now have to answer what filter cartridges are you going to use. Depending on what you just bought it may or may not take the Bauer cartridge and all too little too late for the forum to help now you have placed the order. Hope dies last even for Frankenstein.

Nino forget about this Frankenstein nonsense. Attaching a new filter system is an easy job. Find attached pics of my compressor, I added a Coltri MCH6 filter to a Bauer Capitano. In my case it is not a replacement but an additional filter after Bauer Triplex P21. Reason for this: I don't trust the Bauer Triplex. When taking out the filter cartridge oil may/will drop into filter's exit hole, so I have a bit of oil in the air after the filter. I don't like this idea, even if it is not that much. I fill by partial pressure so my compressed air goes on pure oxygen. Oil+oxygen=crashbumbang.

The Coltri filter gives my an extra safety, some sort of personal filter but fixed.

Please post a pic of your project when finished. I don't know Jim Shelden's filters, am very interessted in it. bauer 3.jpg bauer 2.jpg bauer.jpg

I forgot: on top of the Coltri filter you find a Swagelok non-return valve. This prevents oxygen from going backwards into the filter. Filter (carbon) + oxygen=crashboombang.

It is an easy job to add such a non-return valve, even if iain sais it is not.

Filter stack done and working .It took about 5 hours to connect everything up as well as 2 hours at the supplier to order all parts in as they didn't stock much high pressure stainless fittings. I had some issues with the 3rd stage intake and pressure valve but fixed I've replaced them now.
I still need to add a manifold so that I can have another fill whip.
IMG20200601144322.jpg

IMG20200601144257.jpg

IMG20200601144302.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom