New Ferry Ticket Prices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deborahdelamar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Mexico Waterjets has raised its one-way ticket prices for the Cozumel-PDC route to 160 pesos for each adult and to 95 pesos for each child.

So far, Ultramar has not changed its prices for the route but everyone expects the company to follow Mexico's lead.

In addition, it's expected that fares for the Transcaribe car/cargo ferry will be increased within the next few days.

The ADO bus one-way fare between Cancun airport and Playa del Carmen is curently 110 pesos per passenger.

Did the locals' price go up too, or just for tourists...?

Prices are higher for everyone.

Roughly ~$25 per round trip or more depending on the conversion rate. That's insane. Someone with the ferry companies must want to kill off business on the island. Isla Mujeres has thousands of tourists daily visiting from the mainland Cancun due to cheaper ferry rides ~ 35 pesos each way. How many tourists from the Riveria Maya come to Cozumel? @ close to $100 round trip for a family of 4.

I wonder what happened to the "NEW" ferry rumored last year. I also wonder is Mexico Jet & Ultramar are fattening up their war chests for a fare war sure to follow if a new service gets launched.

Roughly ~$25 per round trip or more depending on the conversion rate. That's insane.
Depending on whom you ask when, 160 pesos = $13.05 US and they are notorious about rounding up. Kids at 95 = $7.75 US. They are nice boats, but well - sucks.

Did the locals' price go up too, or just for tourists...?

Sorry about revisiting this question, Don, but I think the "Locals' price" should be clarified. It applies only to qualified residents of Cozumel who are willing & able to go to the ferry office during application hours (which are short!), pay for the card, and renew it each year. No card; no discount.

Residents of other municipalities must pay full price.

The only other regular discount fare offered on the route is for any Mexican national or resident foreigner, 60 or older, who shows a Federal senior identity card at the time the ticket is purchased. This is the lowest fare for the crossing.

I wrote "regular discount" because Aviomar/Mexico also helps people who need to use the ferries but can't afford them. Unfortunately, these courtesies have nothing to do with tourism...

Roughly ~$25 per round trip or more depending on the conversion rate. That's insane. Someone with the ferry companies must want to kill off business on the island. Isla Mujeres has thousands of tourists daily visiting from the mainland Cancun due to cheaper ferry rides ~ 35 pesos each way. How many tourists from the Riveria Maya come to Cozumel? @ close to $100 round trip for a family of 4.

I wonder what happened to the "NEW" ferry rumored last year. I also wonder is Mexico Jet & Ultramar are fattening up their war chests for a fare war sure to follow if a new service gets launched.

I agree the prices are getting too high - but the route from Isla to Cancun is 1/2 the distance than PDC to CZM - so naturally the prices are different

Does any one know how these prices compare to others around the world?

Car ferries are free in Texas, but this ain't Texas.

Commuter ferry from Boston, Ma to Quincy, Ma is $12 round trip. It's about a 45 minute ride. Ferry service to the Boston Harbor Islands is $14 round trip, and you can ride between islands as much as you want.

Back
Top Bottom