New DS Diver, Still Alive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not unusual to dive the same amount of lead or less when going from a 7mm and hooded vest to a drysuit.

I wear 9lbs on my belt with a CF200 and 400gm unders, heavy faber HP100, and a 9 lb backplate. That's about 6lbs less than my 7mm and hooded vest.

Very interesting, thanks!

I have an al plate - about 2.5 pounds from memory.

Loved it DG. Was completely dry (apart from the feet), nice and warm. The pockets are fantastic for storing SMB, light, etc. The suit is nice and easy to don and doff and the suspenders REALLY help when walking around on the boat, etc. Valves work flawlessly and the exhaust valve is nice and intuitive to dump/close. Was my first DS and I had the hang of it by my second dive. The warm neck and telescoping torso also really help when donning the suit. Underwater the whole setup was nice and warm with minimal air in the suit (just a bit to offset the squeeze). The drag is something to get used to, but you'd know what that feels like seeing as you had a dS before.

Best part is on the boat on the way back, cold wind, waves, other divers sittng shivering in their wet suits and I am sitting zipped up head to toe in my evo 2, not feeling a thing :))

Oh and it looks damn good in and out of the water, which isn't unimportant :wink:

Interesting observations. In my 5mm farmer top with an AL80 and my steel backplate, I use no weight. I don't dive saltwater enough to know if I need weight in that set of gear. In my steel 108s, I need no weight in my drysuit. I either wear 200g fleece, or the Pinnacle Evolution undergarment which is about 350g. I usually wear about 10 pounds with it anyway as trim weights but I sink without the weight.

Frankly I am surprised at how much weight I see many divers wearing. Drysuit undergarments simply aren't that buoyant. I dove a TLS350 and a DUI 400g with 400g thinsulate booties at the demo day, and wore my only my doubles. I felt just a bit light and went and got a 2 pound softweight and was perfect.

I'm no small guy either. About 6'0" and 250 or so.

The problem with trying to compare weighting in dry suits is that it's SO dependent on what you are using for undergarments. For example, my husband started out with a fleece undergarment, but when he changed to the 4th Element stuff, he had to add FOUR pounds. Same man, same suit, different insulation.

There's a very simple answer, though: Do a weight check. You can do it with a full tank. The technique I like is to get into about four feet of water. Take weight off and keep trying to see if you can lie on the bottom with your lungs empty, and come off the bottom when you breathe in. When you get to the minimum weight that will allow you to do that, then add the weight of the gas in the tank that you intend to use (roughly 7 pounds for 100 cu ft tanks).

The problem with trying to compare weighting in dry suits is that it's SO dependent on what you are using for undergarments. For example, my husband started out with a fleece undergarment, but when he changed to the 4th Element stuff, he had to add FOUR pounds. Same man, same suit, different insulation.

There's a very simple answer, though: Do a weight check. You can do it with a full tank. The technique I like is to get into about four feet of water. Take weight off and keep trying to see if you can lie on the bottom with your lungs empty, and come off the bottom when you breathe in. When you get to the minimum weight that will allow you to do that, then add the weight of the gas in the tank that you intend to use (roughly 7 pounds for 100 cu ft tanks).

I did a weight check and only needed about 5 kg to sink and lie on the bottom. Then I freaked out, thought I was underweighted and added another 6kg!! :dork2:

With my freshwater drysuit diving, using my White's drysuit with the MK2 undergarment with an AL 80 I had to use 30lbs; in my double LP85's, no weight, but the suit really didn't fit me well & I was usually still cold in those undergarments. With my DUI & the Pinnacle Merino Evolution undergarments I have, I needed about 12lbs extra to get & stay down with my doubles. When I dove last weekend, I started out with 40lbs & couldn't begin to get down. I then added 6lbs more & I was able to get down, but as soon as my tank got below 900psi, I came up to the surface, not fast, but involuntarily. I then tried 50lbs ( a little aggravated & incredulous by then) & was able to get & stay down the entire dive. I may have been a tad heavy that last dive & 48lbs may have been closer to what I need. I will also admit, at this point, I have a bit more "natural buoyancy" (female, 5'6" & 200lbs) than I need & am working on correcting that.

My God, if I had to wear fifty pounds to dive, I'd quit!

2. Is it normal for theneoprene DS boots socks to get water in them?? The evo 2 has the attached neo socks and my actual cotton socks were socked in them. The rest of me (including my undergarment) was dry as, but my socks were soaking wet. Is this normal?! .

Wet has many different levels, what do you mean by soaked?

It they were damp inside, it was probably sweat, as you are and will sweat in the drysuit. Especially if you were fighting it, you sweated like a pig just didn't notice it. :D

If it helps, I now have 10kg of lead on me, with the Evolution undergarment and single 15L steel tank + SS BP. I'm overweighted.

I think 2kg will go off soon, but for now, being a novice DS diver, I prefer to be a bit negative. I'm satisfied with the overall progress, without a course of any sort.

In the end, I'll probably use between 6-8kg, I did start with 8 and looked enough, but was not satisfied with the level of comfort and control I had over the suit so I added more. YMMV.

Thanks to all who replied.

Evil, the socks were wet throughout... the rest of me and the undergarment were completely dry (ok, the u/g was a little damp from the sweat).

Hmm, I'm pretty sure the suit aint leaking - but will have to check next time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom