New DS Diver, Still Alive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You state you had all these problems-"oh but I am still alive" and you feel that you do not need a class in dry suit use?

Interesting post.

The "I'm still alive" is in reference to an earlier thread I started asking if I needed the course. I certainly didn't literally feel like "wow, I'm still alive" after my first DS dives.

Do you now know all benefits/features of the materials used in constructing suits?

Yes, not an expert on it though. Did my reasearch on the net/SB, LDS, guys I dive with. Do I really care? No. I know I need trilam instead of neo/crushed-neo due to weight, time to dry and temperature versatility. I already have a trilam suit if you read my post. I don't really care what other suits are out there given I already made my purchase.

Any knowledge of undergarments available?

I know what I need to wear to keep me warm. And it did keep me warm on the weekend. Anything else I need to know, I will learn as required.

Know how to evaluate type of seals that would be best for your type of diving?Can you do any repairs or better yet maintain the suit so repairs are minimized?

My suit came with latex seals. They worked. I don't care what other seals (neoprene, etc.) are out there. I know enough about maintenance. Once again - don't need a course - net, SB, guys I dive with is enough.

If you purchased suit at a LDS did they offer a free course with it? I know that I do.
You state in a later post that the money you saved you would use in an advance course ..As an instructor I would not let you use the dry suit as I have no documented proof that you are capable of using it.You would have to prove to me,by going to a pool at the least,for a orientation session with the suit if you wish to use it during advance course,and one of the advance dives would be an adventure dry suit dive.Oh,I would have to charge you an additional fee for the pool session.Sounds like you were also grossly overweighed if you had to pump alot of air into bcd to get off the bottom..weighed properly there woul be minimal use of bcd,if any,to maintain neutral buoyancy,when using suit correctly. Sorry to tell you this but it sounds to me that there is an accident waiting to happen.

I clearly said in my post, the course isn't free and I don't really care what you would do as an instructor.

I was comfortable enough in the suit and know what I need to fix next time. FYI - it was the same LDS who gave me 12kg of weight to dive in a wet config when I was starting out. I ended up tuning my weight down to 6kg. It was the same LDS that told me that I need about 10 to 12 kg to dive the DS. I did that and was overweighted.

So what value can this course/LDS add to my DS diving? I can adjust the weight myself. Only I know best what weight feels right for me and won't cause me to sink like a stone or blow my stop. I read the PADI DS book and the outline of the course dives. I have practised all the required skills under the pier and could do all of them. I don't feel like I need the course.

My only two problems on the dives were weight - I can fix this myself, and a slight leak which I think I caused anyway and which I didn't even notice until I took the suit off. I am struggling to think what value the PADI DS course can provide me with.

The capability to rent drysuits from LDS in remote locations...:)

Mike

Sorry for all the self-quotes below, but they might provide more clarity.

Indeed they have.

I've heard that Thinsulate 400g is on par with the Weezle Extreme Plus that I use. People love them both.

This is what I have been told, and it seems to bear out. Which is why I am battling the choice between those very two suits (and the Pinnacle Merino).

IIRC, you're a big guy, so it might be more than the typical 4-6lbs, as you know.

Yea I know. :)

I also avoid constriction of body parts, especially extremities, to keep the warm blood flowing.

This is an excellent point. I tend to go a bit oversized as well for the same reason.

Otherwise, I'll summarize here. I'd hate to put you into that other long post, one is enough! :wink:
  • CLx450, roomy, mobile fit even with max insulation
  • Rockboots 1-sz oversize, laced loosely (CF200 suit socks are also oversize)
  • Henderson 1/8" neoprene Ice Cap underhood
  • DUI Warm Neck 7mm neoprene hood
  • 2 homemade 1/8"x2" neoprene neck bands
  • Oversized, wide view mask that seals to the Ice Cap
  • Weezle Extreme+ (Plus)
  • 100 wt polypropylene long underwear
  • homemade 4-layer fleece chest pad 12x18"
  • thick wool socks
  • Weezle socks
  • SI TECH drygloves, roomy fit
  • 2 pair of polypropylene glove liners, one larger than the other
  • Mares Quattros fins
  • SeaQuest Spectrum 2, a lightweight jacket bcd
  • PST HP120
  • Al30 on a Highland SS pony band
  • 51-54lbs of lead for saltwater
For me, a sedentary nearly 57-year old guy, with a turtle's metabolism, doing low-activity photo dives, this setup keeps me so warm, even down to the low-30's, that I'm not even aware of any cold areas until well into the second hour, and then they are minor.

From your description, it doesn't seem like you are doing anything overkill. Maybe with the gloves but I can certainly understand why. I am amazed you can work your camera though! Much of it sounds like my intended config for the Lakes trip. To give you a basic idea of my rig, I am wearing underarmour as a base layer (cold gear with the fleece top, or hotgear with the Thinsulate undies), a 200g Fleece or a 300g Thinsulate suit, a pair of polypro socks, a pair of wool socks, a USIA trilam suit, no hood yet, but a Pinnacle is coming. My rockboots are at the shop, but I've been wearing GI Combat boots for the past few months and liking them. I don't use gloves, but obviously will be for my trip.

The long 40-degree dives last Saturday were wonderfully and completely comfortable.

This is making me feel very happy. At least I know what I'll be facing.

Oh, it may be just my imagination, but I think I may be significantly warmer because I use only my drysuit for buoyancy control, but I understand the pros and cons of this for people, so I don't push it on anyone. :D

This I cannot do. I have to keep my suit tight or I'll be all over the water. I've tried to keep some extra gas in there, and it causes problems every time.

One more thing that might add to my buoyancy is that my undergarment is a little big on me. I just fold over about 3-inches of excess torso length in the low back and abdomen. Maybe that keeps my kidneys and gut warmer, an unintended benefit. :)

Interesting thought there. None of my undergarments have folds. :)

I also try to avoid heat loss prior to the dives. It was 20 degrees outside while I suited up Saturday, but I kept warm in a snowmobile suit, balaclava and gloves. :D

This is generally not a problem in Florida, but on cold days, I tend to dress warmly pre-dive including a fleece hat and gloves. Makes a difference.

Any thoughts, PerroneFord? I'll bet some of this sounds pretty strange.... :)
Dave C

Thanks for sharing this info. Doesn't sound strage at all. Seems well reasoned and thought out. Still a lot of lead, but I can now understand why you need it. This kind of stuff is why SB is great. No ego, no BS, just good information exchange that is certainly helpful for me, and hopefully helpful to others.

I appreciate you putting the info out there.

This I cannot do. I have to keep my suit tight or I'll be all over the water. I've tried to keep some extra gas in there, and it causes problems every time.

Hmmmmmm..... good point. Perhaps this could also be part of my weighting issues. I keep some squeeze on the suit, but I do have to keep it some loose or I begin to feel I'm having some problems breathing (feel like I can't expand my chest- a bear hug type feeling). I'm hoping to start diving my doubles again this winter & spring & get things better dialed in so that I might be able to finish my Adv. Nitrox course.

You gotta love this place. Where else can you find and exchange this kind of info. So far I have been trying to keep inflation to a minimum, but I have not been in anything below 50 degrees F yet. However, as temps keep dropping at the training lake, I may have to keep adjusting layers, and therefore weighting.

A side comment on the breathing in cold water thing . . . I learned, on our Nanaimo trip last January (where water temps were 43 degrees) that jumping off a boat into water that cold does something wonky with your breathing. The first time I giant strided into the water, I was hanging on the granny line and breathing so hard that, for the only time in my diving life so far, I spit out my reg because I felt like I couldn't get enough air. I was hanging there thinking, "I'm having a panic attack, on the SURFACE, looking UP AT THE BOAT! What's WRONG with me?" I was slowly able to bring my breathing under control and make the dive.

Peter had the same thing happen to him. We eventually figured out that jumping into ice-cold water literally takes your breath away. Once you realize what's going on, you can deal with it, but it's scary the first time.

You gotta love this place. Where else can you find and exchange this kind of info. So far I have been trying to keep inflation to a minimum, but I have not been in anything below 50 degrees F yet. However, as temps keep dropping at the training lake, I may have to keep adjusting layers, and therefore weighting.

You'll get to know the added buoyancy of each piece of your of insulation! :D

You can even estimate the buoyancy of a new item like a fleece vest, for instance.

Just take the item and compress it moderately into a ball and ask yourself how it compares to the size of a gallon container.

Make a rough estimate using 8lbs/gallon, which gets you close and saves time.

Fine tune in the water later. :D

Dave C

Interesting post.

The "I'm still alive" is in reference to an earlier thread I started asking if I needed the course. I certainly didn't literally feel like "wow, I'm still alive" after my first DS dives.

Yes, not an expert on it though. Did my reasearch on the net/SB, LDS, guys I dive with. Do I really care? No. I know I need trilam instead of neo/crushed-neo due to weight, time to dry and temperature versatility. I already have a trilam suit if you read my post. I don't really care what other suits are out there given I already made my purchase.

I know what I need to wear to keep me warm. And it did keep me warm on the weekend. Anything else I need to know, I will learn as required.

My suit came with latex seals. They worked. I don't care what other seals (neoprene, etc.) are out there. I know enough about maintenance. Once again - don't need a course - net, SB, guys I dive with is enough.

I clearly said in my post, the course isn't free and I don't really care what you would do as an instructor.

I was comfortable enough in the suit and know what I need to fix next time. FYI - it was the same LDS who gave me 12kg of weight to dive in a wet config when I was starting out. I ended up tuning my weight down to 6kg. It was the same LDS that told me that I need about 10 to 12 kg to dive the DS. I did that and was overweighted.

So what value can this course/LDS add to my DS diving? I can adjust the weight myself. Only I know best what weight feels right for me and won't cause me to sink like a stone or blow my stop. I read the PADI DS book and the outline of the course dives. I have practised all the required skills under the pier and could do all of them. I don't feel like I need the course.

My only two problems on the dives were weight - I can fix this myself, and a slight leak which I think I caused anyway and which I didn't even notice until I took the suit off. I am struggling to think what value the PADI DS course can provide me with.

you stated yourself all the problems you had..With a knowledgeable instructor the learning curve would have been much shorter and you would not be here asking very elementary questions that would have been covered in a through speciality course..Sorry if you feel that your lds steered you wrong,but maybe you should find a different one.It seems you have all the answers to the statements I made. I just think that you may believe that you know all there is ,but in the future when you do get experience you may come to realize what little you really do know.

From your description, it doesn't seem like you are doing anything overkill. Maybe with the gloves but I can certainly understand why. I am amazed you can work your camera though! Much of it sounds like my intended config for the Lakes trip. To give you a basic idea of my rig, I am wearing underarmour as a base layer (cold gear with the fleece top, or hotgear with the Thinsulate undies), a 200g Fleece or a 300g Thinsulate suit, a pair of polypro socks, a pair of wool socks, a USIA trilam suit, no hood yet, but a Pinnacle is coming. My rockboots are at the shop, but I've been wearing GI Combat boots for the past few months and liking them. I don't use gloves, but obviously will be for my trip.

Sounds like you've set up good protection for your Great Lakes trip! I assume you'll be trying to do deco dives on wrecks in 40F water. The low-activity deep stops will really be the test! :D

Regarding the manual dexterity of my SI Tech drygloves with two polypropylene liners, it has been surprisingly good.

I'm using the original Atlas (Showa) pvc 495 glove with original removeable large yellow liner over a fisherman's closer-fitting white liner.

I'd say the combination has better dexterity than 7mm gloves, but not as good as 3mm.

For example, my Ikelite housing has a grouping of four 3/16" buttons in a 3/4" square area and it's still quite easy to press the desired button.

Tying and un-tying 3/16" nylon line is possible also. Dog clips are easy. LP connectors a cinch.

Re-tying my Rockboot laces underwater has been very difficult though. Part of that was because my gut was in the way! :D

By the way, when the gloves are lower than my body, the compression makes them a nice firm fit. It's easy to position the fingers on an object and feel what one is doing.

When the gloves are higher than my body and filling with air, it's tough to get the right positioning of the fingers and that often puts excess material in the way. A real frustration....

I remember trying to tie off some heavy salvaged anchor to my flotation line.... I had to repeatedly stick my hands down low to squeeze the gloves then quickly bring them up and do some tying for a few seconds until ballooning became a problem....then lower them to get the squeeze again, and so on.

Felt like I was on a tv show.... "Underwater Survivor"! :D

I might make some wrist cinch straps for the drygloves to slow down the air flow when needed.

Regarding using only the drysuit for buoyancy control and managing the shifting of a larger amount of air:

I get away with this probably because my winter undergarments fill out my suit quite completely. Even though I use only my drysuit for buoyancy control, the larger amount of air shifting in my well-fitting suit is forced to move through the undergarments, thereby slowing it down a great deal and giving me enough time to adjust attitude in the water.

With a looser fit, the air can move rather quickly through the gap between the garment and the shell.

I have to watch for that when wearing light undergarments in in this suit. That's also when I'm more likely to experience "ballooning".

And, since my suit isn't loose over my winter insulation, ballooning is minimal.

It's also possible that my undergarments maintain their loft pretty well thereby not allowing so much air to shift. I don't know.

I do know that I can move to a vertical position without significant ballooning, then easily come back to horizontal with minimal finning. Doesn't matter if it's head-up or head-down.

Rapid air shifting and ballooning does become a problem for me when I use very light undergarments in this suit. Then it's a baggy fit.

I might wear only a single layer of polypropylene long underwear in the Connecticut River when August water temps approach 80F.

Then, the air can shift quickly in the gap above the insulation. Of course, it's a much smaller total amount of air anyway, but it can balloon in one end and create significant imbalance.

That's when I'll put some air in my bcd and reduce the air in the suit (more squeeze). That's about the only time I use the bcd for buoyancy control.

The only other time is when I might want the squeeze to cool down, which is rare for me! :)

I'm sure you've found adjusting squeeze is a nice way of cooling down or warming up while cave diving in Florida! :D

Regarding turning a problem of excess undergarment material into an added "feature":

Interesting thought there. None of my undergarments have folds. :)

While doing a long dive in 32F saltwater a while back, I noticed coolness in my lower back, probably from the weight belt compressing the insulation there.

I've been thinking of making some kind of a less-compressible insulating pad for the kidney area. I'm going to do a little experimenting in February when saltwater temps occasionally get that low. I have a feeling such a pad could make a big difference.

Here again is another reason I may eventually switch to a backplate/wing. It would be nice to spread that weight out and move it off the low back and more onto the ribcage area.

Thanks for sharing this info. Doesn't sound strage at all. Seems well reasoned and thought out. Still a lot of lead, but I can now understand why you need it. This kind of stuff is why SB is great. No ego, no BS, just good information exchange that is certainly helpful for me, and hopefully helpful to others.

I appreciate you putting the info out there.

I wholeheartedly agree! ("Lot of love in this room, sniff sniff....") :D

Likewise, I appreciate your sharing of your experience and thoughts. It's a pleasure! I'll look forward to hearing about your Great Lake dives! :)

I greatly value the people who make ScubaBoard possible, since they promote such civilized, constructive and uplifting dialog, and even relationships!

Deeply grateful and indebted. :)

Dave C

Peter had the same thing happen to him. We eventually figured out that jumping into ice-cold water literally takes your breath away. Once you realize what's going on, you can deal with it, but it's scary the first time.

Cold-shock reflex:
cold-shock reflex - Medical Dictionary Definition for Term 'cold-shock reflex'

Related video on how to survive falling into ice water, which I found interesting:
Wrongcrowd.com - How to survive falling through ice into freezing water

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom