New DS Diver, Still Alive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just looked at my notes from DUI days. I dove a TLS 350 with a 300g undergarment, and used 22 pounds in fresh water. It felt like the correct amount of weight for those conditions, and I did not have any problems with being underweighted, or holding a stop. however, I know that I kept minimal air in the suit at all times.

Ok, so as a new DS diver, I couldn't be bothered waiting for the DS specialty course and jumped in the water with my Pinnacle Evo 2 with no prior DS experience.

My pool session in the suit was disastrous, painful and I absolutely hated. The pier practise before my boat dives was much better and I practised my rolls, disconnecting the hose, etc. I was fine and decided I need more weight.

For the boat dive we did a 19 metre reef dive and I was fine in the suit. I got all the air out in the first 5 metres or so and closed the exhaust valve. Then I took the squeeze off by pumping some air in and I was fine. Floaty legs, etc. weren't a problem.

So I am alive and well and now have to figure out a way to get my LDS to return my money for the course.

I have two questions though:

1. I had 11kg of weight on, which is almost double the 6kg I normally wear with my full 7mm wetsuit and other exposure protection. I am sure I was overweighted. I actually needed to pump air into my wing to get me off the bottom on ascent. At the 5 metre stop, I was nowhere neutrally buoyant. In fact, my wing was substantially inflated to just keep me at that depth and I had to continue finning.

It basically looks like my weight should be about 6 kg - same as for my wetsuit config. Have any divers experienced a situation where there wet and dry requirements are the same? Btw, at the bottom, I had to pump a truck load of air into my BC to keep me from scraping the bottom and basically dragging along it. It was not ideal and I had to work a lot harder due to the weight.

2. Is it normal for theneoprene DS boots socks to get water in them?? The evo 2 has the attached neo socks and my actual cotton socks were socked in them. The rest of me (including my undergarment) was dry as, but my socks were soaking wet. Is this normal?! Or is there a leak in the suit and I am not aware of it? It certainly didn't feel like the suit was leaking during the dive.

Thanks.
so you don't think you can learn anything from the drysuit course, well all I can say is good luck, and dive safe.

I just looked at my notes from DUI days. I dove a TLS 350 with a 300g undergarment, and used 22 pounds in fresh water. It felt like the correct amount of weight for those conditions, and I did not have any problems with being underweighted, or holding a stop. however, I know that I kept minimal air in the suit at all times.

Just out of interest, how much weight did you need for a heavy wetsuit configuration, with hood, 7mm suit, etc? (If you have dove that configuration that is).

It is intersting but the 11kg that I wore (22 pounds) felt ridiculously heavy to me. I never experienced not being able to get off the bottom with ease without having to inflate my BCD (which is exactly what I had to do this weekend). It was not a pleasant or safe feeling.

I never have used a 7 mil, but last weekend while serving as a DMC for an OW course at that same lake I wore a 5/4 Bare, with a 5 mil hooded zipper vest over it, and needed 18 pounds.

I never have used a 7 mil, but last weekend while serving as a DMC for an OW course at that same lake I wore a 5/4 Bare, with a 5 mil hooded zipper vest over it, and needed 18 pounds.

Whoah, ok. I only needed 6kg (13.2 pounds) with a thicker config. Therefore, if you had a similar wet config to mine, then you would have needed close to 22 pounds of lead, therefore same amount in wet and dry. So if I try same amount of lead for me on my next dive (6kg/13 pounds), it should be ok.

In your wet config, were you on a steel tank? what size? I am assuming it was a single tank seeing as you were DMCing?

I was using a single Al80. However, it just occurred to me that my weight last weekend may NOT have been accurate because I always carry extra weight when I am working in case I have to do an emergency descent, and so I have some extra to hand to students if needed. Should still have been within a couple of pounds though.

I was using a single Al80. However, it just occurred to me that my weight last weekend may NOT have been accurate because I always carry extra weight when I am working in case I have to do an emergency descent, and so I have some extra to hand to students if needed. Should still have been within a couple of pounds though.

Ok, well I normally dive with a steel 100, so that and your emergency descent considerations explain your additional weight.

It's not unusual to dive the same amount of lead or less when going from a 7mm and hooded vest to a drysuit.

I wear 9lbs on my belt with a CF200 and 400gm unders, heavy faber HP100, and a 9 lb backplate. That's about 6lbs less than my 7mm and hooded vest.

OK, so aside from the weighting issues, and wet feet, how did you like your Evo2?????

Back
Top Bottom