New divers need equipment help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My son and I got certified last year but have not dived since, mostly because we do not have equipment. It is time to get some but one reason we have not done so yet is we do not want to get the wrong equipment. If you could share your thoughts about what equipment, by model and reasons it would be most appreciated.
We have fins and masks but need pretty much everything else. Any help would be kind, thank you.

@GuysDigDirt the best I can recommend is to start digging through this forum. These threads come up almost weekly with very similar answers.

My money?
BCD-Deep sea supply stainless backplate and wing-made in Pasadena, super good stuff
Regs-Deep6 Signature, mountains of reasons for that one
Computer-Shearwater Perdix, AI if you want it
Wetsuit-whatever fits

Can you provide more information? Otherwise the responses are going to be all over the place.

Component price targets and total budget? This will make a HUGE difference.
Specific equipment list? Computer, regulator, BC, exposure protection, tanks, etc.
Warm or Cold water diving? Both?
Airline travel or just diving local?
Are you planning on strictly diving recreationally?
Expectations? If you are considering any type of technical diving in the future you need a system that can adapt to those demands (I would highly recommend a backplate and wing configuration under those circumstances).

Last edited:
So... Do a google search for Divers Supply. They are located in FL and have a good selection of fair priced new gear.
If you have not dove since certification....you guys MUST for your safety do a dive with an instructor. Go to La Jolla shores in San Diego on any weekend and you will find some connections on diving with someone with experience.
I have used the Sea Elite RX330 Scout Regulator gear and never had a problem. I have used aqua lung zoop series computers and they are a good choice. Suunto Zoop Wrist Computer
If your diving so cal the you will need 7 mm wetsuits. Keep your dives shallow since your only certified to 60ft.
under 40 is a good rule for a few dives until you get used to being under water.

I disagree with tbone on DSS. I do not find the craftsmanship better that any other wing on the market. Also the wings are designed differently than most wings on the market. Most wings on the market have an accessible donut (oval) shaped bladder, DSS sells either a horseshoe shaped wings with an accessible bladder or a donut shaped wing where the bladder is non-accessible (it is sewn shut). There is a thread below this one dealing with lower priced backplate and wings. If you prefer a conventional BC there is a thread on the Riptide BC which is also made in the USA.

As far as regulators go, I personally dive older regulators usually Apeks and Scubapros, but I do have some others. If I was buying new regulators today I would look at the Deep6, DRIS, and Sea Elite if looking for decent budget regulators, or Halcyon if looking for more expensive ones.There is also a shop selling on eBay new Oceanic and Aeris regulators at a deep discount. I have used them before and they are good breathers also.

BCD-Deep sea supply stainless backplate and wing-made in Pasadena, super good stuff

"super good"???? You mean budget low grade?

Computer-Shearwater Perdix, AI if you want it
Come on, Perdix AI for a new diver? Why not Aqua Lung i300C or Scubapro Aladin Sport Matrix Wrist Dive Computer?

Regulators need periodic servicing. Unless you intend to do it yourself (in which case availability of parts varies with brand), you'll want one an area dive shop is willing to do servicing on (unless you're willing to mail it in for that).

Neoprene for wetsuits varies in quality of stretchiness. I've got a big head; I've got 2 2-XL hoods, what at least at the time was Henderson's premium material in an AquaLock hood, and their 'value' version in a Neosport hood. The former is tight on my jaw; the latter is tight on me period! Yes my properly sized Neosport 7 mm boots are fine. So, for neoprene products where fit matters, be away stretchiness can be a factor in comfort and, if you're buying a size marginal for you, fit.

A computer that can download data to a PC lets you 'auto-log' dives, which some people like to do. An air-integrated one can likely log start & end pressures, calculate your SAC and at least some can give estimated air time remaining (if you continue breathing at a constant rate & don't change depth; not perfect, but can be handy for some people).

An SMB is a good idea; hopefully you'll never be floating around at sea lost from the boat, but if you area, it can make you way easier to see and fine.

If you get a cutting tool, many people like the Trilobyte. I do, too. Fits in a thin pocket on my BCD front strap. Dive Gear Express sells a similar product with a rust proof blade, IIRC. I'd consider that. If you get a dive knife, tastes vary. I prefer rust proof (unlike your BCD D-rings, the stainless steel in dive knives often rusts fairly readily), and that means a titanium blade, or an H1 steel blade from Spyderco.

I've not dove a BP/W; hope to try someday. Where jacket BCDs are concerned, I'm chubby and weight belts didn't stay up on me well (I was even chubbier back then); I'm a fan of integrated weight BCDs (after all, you can wear a weight belt anyway if you want).

Richard.

Can you provide more information? Otherwise the responses are going to be all over the place.

Component price targets and total budget? This will make a HUGE difference.
Specific equipment list? Computer, regulator, BC, exposure protection, tanks, etc.
Warm or Cold water diving? Both?
Airline travel or just diving local?
Are you planning on strictly diving recreationally?
Expectations? If you are considering any type of technical diving in the future you need a system that can adapt to those demands (I would highly recommend a backplate and wing configuration under those circumstances).
^^^^
This

Also, are you a control freak DIYer/tinkerer who has to have things "just so", or do you just want it done?

I've been going through the same process for the past year and have made a few false starts.

What you are trying to accomplish and how you like to accomplish things are defining questions for this process.

FWIW I am the the control freak DIYer/tinkerer who wants it my way, with reliability, flexibility, and value.

If you want gear that you won't feel compelled to upgrade from, it will cost you a good amount, especially if you get a drysuit. tbone's suggestions will run you 2k, then a drysuit can be 1500 to 2k on top, or 400ish for a semidry.

If you are budget constrained, consider used rental gear from a LDS (most sell their rental sets at 50% off) for the short term till you can replace with higher quality gear.

If you could share your thoughts about what equipment, by model and reasons it would be most appreciated.

Hi @GuysDigDirt, kudos for your interest in taking the next step! In my circles I get asked all the time about tips on buying dive gear, so I wrote up an article with my tips and advice for our University of Hawaii Newsletter. You can check it out here on page 4: December 2017. Similar to what @Soloist mentioned, I recommend thinking with the end in mind. Buy equipment you can grow into, not something you will need to upgrade later. For that same reason, @BurhanMuntasser my friend, if you have the budget I also agree with going with a Perdix. It's the only computer you'll ever need!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom