New Diver! Where do I go to get Certified?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boydryoung

Reaction score
My Name is Boyd. I am 24 & experienced my first dive in Mexico off Playa Del Carmen in 2005. I immediately fell in love with Diving. I just moved to San Diego and would like to spend my free time getting certified to become a diver. Where do I go to get my cert? How Much $? How Long does it take? Do I need my own gear? Do you recommend shops or websites where I can purchase supplies?
Very Eagar to Get Certified!!!
Thanks, BOYD

Hi there welcome to the board. Check out your local dive shops, find one you like. Price varys so shop around. Most shops in a general area are going to be close to the same. As far as agency goes i am with PADI. So i do recommend them but bottom line is all agencys teach you to dive safe. Just find a good instructor and go for it. I dont like the 2 day certs that some shops offer. I have done some of those myself and found that it makes for a long 2 days. A lot of shops offer a 2 weekend course, i like it best. Thats just my preferance. And remember the most impotant rule in divin' " NEVER HOLD YOUR BREATH". Good luck let us know how it goes.

Hi Boyd,
I'm an instructor in Utila, Honduras. I believe that this place is among the cheapest in the world to get certified,$229. Although we're in Honduras, Central America, the island is English speaking and all about diving and partying, a huge hit with the backpacker crowd. Might see you down here one day

Boydryoung:
.....I just moved to San Diego and would like to spend my free time getting certified to become a diver. Where do I go to get my cert? How Much $? How Long does it take? Do I need my own gear? Do you recommend shops or websites where I can purchase supplies?
Hi Boyd, welcome to SB!

Click here for the California Kelp Divers forum. Yes, you'll want your own gear.... how much? where? how long it takes? You'll get all those answers in your local forum. Good luck!

Since you live in Southern California I'd recommend that you look for an L.A. County certified instructor. This will guarantee you adequate training for diving in local waters.

Welcome to Scubaboard. Good to have you with us. This is a great place to find local divers and all things that relate to diving. Enjoy the forums.

smilies-35309.png

A great question for our Southern Calf forum. Let me know if you need help finding it here...

It does help with discussions if you complete your Profile. And it's even more fun when you load an Avatar (personal pic for each post) and a Profile pic. See UserCP above to access these if you'd like to...? :wink:

If you haven't yet, click Forums above and start going thru the list - looking for those of interest to you, especially your local dive club. Always good to try a Search before starting a new thread, tho :search: - click here for Search help, and be careful about posting Threads & Replies before reading the Sticky threads at the tops of most forums. PM me if I can help you around here..

:cowboy: don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom