New diver - seeking cold water dives opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pelagic_by_nature

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am a newly certified diver. I did my open water dives at the end of March on Roatan. I had a blast and am anxious to get back in the water. I'm located in Michigan. I have a couple of friends heading to a local quarry this weekend and they've invited me along. I have never dived in cold water so my plan was to either buy or rent proper thermal protection for the upcoming dives. I went to my LDS to look into purchasing or renting a 7mm or 6.5 mm suit. The LDS owner said that he would discourage me to do any cold water diving until the water warms up (a month or 2 according to him) because he thinks I would find it unpleasant and it might spoil me for any further local diving. I can sort of see his point, but I'm really wanting to get back underwater. I have a good tolerance to cold, and I could limit my diving to short dives or only one or two dives. what do you think?

Needless to say, I urge you to use common sense and proper proceedures, but any new experience is good, especially in your geographical region.

Diving with very thick wet suits or dry suits is quite a different experience from diving the warm waters of the Caribbean because of the amounts of weight required and the differences in buoyancy of the required thermal protection.

If you can get professional assistance, I would recommend that you choose the dry suit route.

the K

My 2 friends that invited me along are very experienced - 1000's of dives. I have already made it clear to them that I do not want them trying to goad me into doing anything that I wasn't comfortable with :no: and they fully respect and understand that. I know that many many diving incidents are caused by divers diving outside their comfort zone. I made it clear to my buddies that I don't want to go deep or anything remotely technical I just want to get wet and experience some local diving.

I'm up in MN and the lakes up here are warm enough for short 7mm dives. Heck there are folks up here who ice dive in 7mm. The truly daring can stay down longer, but I'm a wimp -- which is why I own a dry suit.

Honestly, most folks with dry suits will tell you there are two types of temperatures -- those that can use 3mm and those that need dry suits. There really is nothing in between. So because of that common wisdom, I'd advise against buying a 7mm wetsuit. But I'd also advise against buying a dry suit at this time if you have the option of renting a few. They are highly configurable, and you should figure out what features you'll really want before you purchase one.

As for the opinion on cold water diving: I personally love it and highly recommend it. It's a vastly different experience from warm ocean waters, and not everyone enjoys it. But the challenges and sights it offers have a charm all their own.

An early spring dive in a freshwater lake will allow you to see stuff you'll miss in the warmer months when visibility drops and foliage takes over the shallows. It's not as pristine as an ice dive, but is still well worth the time. After all, any day under water is better than a day above it.

Doing a dive this time of year in a wetsuit will be a thermal challenge. If you are prepared for just how cold you may feel (particularly on your face and hands) then go and have fun. Assure your LDS guy that you've been prepped and understand that this is going to feel like jumping into an ice bath (and it does!) but that you just need to be under water!

Make sure you go with folks who have some experience in diving cold water. And be prepared for a few buoyancy challenges as you have to deal with much more weight, and suit compression.

Good luck and tell us all about it when you get back!!

I am surprised your LDS owner would discourage you. If he can get you enjoying the local ponds, you will dive more and therefore spend more $$ in his shop. He could help introduce you to cold water diving, which (as the K says) has it's own challenges, but also it's own rewards.

If your friends have experience diving cold water, you have just found some mentors to help you make the transition. I say, go for it! Most all of my diving is cold water, and it IS fun.

I'm going to make a guess about that dude who discouraged you from diving. Ask him when was the last time he made a NON-class FUN dive locally? Some dive pros lose their joy for local fun diving, but that doesn't give them an excuse to buzz-kill yours - at their own financial expense. But it seems to happen a lot.

yeah, I figure I might as well jump in to cold water diving 'cuz if I only want to dive in nice warm water I'm not gonna get much diving in without hopping on a plane. I would like to rent a wetsuit at first and see about getting a drysuit down the road. I've heard about the "either 3mm or drysuit" thing. My friends will be diving dry but they told me that they did their ice diving check out dives in wetsuits many moons ago.

I don't know what kind of water temperatures you are talking about -- but even in Puget Sound's mid 40's, some people do dive wet. It takes a little determination, but it sounds as though you have that!

Make sure the first dive you do is shallow and simple, and make sure you have talked to your experienced buddies about protocol to follow in case of freeflows (a known hazard in cold water). And go have fun . . . Staying current on your skills is one way to enjoy all your diving more.

These are types of responses I was hoping to hear :cool3:

The 7MM is you can tolerate a little cold should work just fine, it did for me. I have also dove in a drysuit and it was the best, but with that you need the training and know how. Go for it and since you have already explained to your buddies what you expect from them no one will be dissappointed when you call the dive if need be.

Dive Safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom