New Diver in the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have over a 100 quarry dives. I have around 100 dives in the Keys. The worse Keys dive with what they call bad viz (20-30 ft) is far more interesting than the best quarry dive. They only way you can go wrong is if the winds are up and the boats do not go out. Then, at least to me, Jules is still better than a quarry. At least you see some stuff and it is warmer.

I've done lots of quarry dives, too, and plenty of fresh water lakes. You're right: they don't compare to blue water. I keep telling her, but you can't really describe the experience.

What is "Jules"?

I'm not sure the wife is keen on being the only divers in the ocean, though. She's convinced that every shark in the world will be heading straight for her! Good information, though. Thanks!

---------- Post added January 4th, 2016 at 07:11 PM ----------

If you're staying on Big Pine Key and diving the Looe Key National Marine Sanctuary, it's highly unlikely you'll be the only divers out there! Finding the reef is easy. If you're going out of Pine Channel, turn to a heading of 185 degrees as you pass the mark at Little Palm Island and about 5 miles later you'll be at the reef. Just be CERTAIN you navigate around the reef (east or west end) and approach it from the south. DO NOT make a bee line for the middle of the boats you see moored there. Sadly, that's a common mistake newcomers make as they approach the reef from the north, and it can do great damage both to the reef and your boat. There are also mooring balls on the north side of the sanctuary, but it's just sandy bottom and there's little to see. For access to the coral reef, there are about two dozen moorings on the ocean side. Pick up one of those and you'll enjoy some great diving in 10 - 30 fsw. Enjoy!

View attachment 222056

---------- Post added January 4th, 2016 at 07:13 PM ----------

Very nice! Awesome photos! Thanks so much! She'll love this!

---------- Post added January 4th, 2016 at 07:19 PM ----------

Will do! Thanks![/QUOTE]

If you're staying on Big Pine Key and diving the Looe Key National Marine Sanctuary, it's highly unlikely you'll be the only divers out there! Finding the reef is easy. If you're going out of Pine Channel, turn to a heading of 185 degrees as you pass the mark at Little Palm Island and about 5 miles later you'll be at the reef. Just be CERTAIN you navigate around the reef (east or west end) and approach it from the south. DO NOT make a bee line for the middle of the boats you see moored there. Sadly, that's a common mistake newcomers make as they approach the reef from the north, and it can do great damage both to the reef and your boat. There are also mooring balls on the north side of the sanctuary, but it's just sandy bottom and there's little to see. For access to the coral reef, there are about two dozen moorings on the ocean side. Pick up one of those and you'll enjoy some great diving in 10 - 30 fsw. Enjoy!

Yeah, you try to tell her that! We'll actually be staying on Marathon, but her brother and sister-in-law have a place on Big Pine, and they have a brandy-new boat! Thanks for the awesome directions. I know navigating around the shallow water in that area is more than tricky. If I can convince her to go out without a whole dive operation, we'll use this information to get to the reef. It's probably the best choice, from our mooring location.

Maybe we should just go with you?

Thanks, again!

Be happy to take you guys on a charter, go with you as a guide, or provide as much free assistance/advice as you need by phone, text, or email. Give us a call and we'll help in any way we can.

Steve

Finz Dive Center down in Key West is great, the have plenty of shallow reef spots and some mid range wrecks. They do a bit of drift diving so you get some spots that the other ops don't do and they always put a DM in the water with you. Another great op in Key West is Captains Corner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom