New Diver in the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kevindsingleton

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I will be in the Keys in late February/early March of 2016. She was certified by a local shop (SSI), in September, and has yet to dive in anything other than a Pennsylvania limestone quarry. We'll be staying on Marathon Key, and we're planning to go out with Conch Republic.

I've been diving since the 80s, but I've never dove the Keys, and I'd like some recommendations as far as "can't miss" dives for a new open water diver. I'd like to keep her in fairly shallow water, and give her a chance to have a great experience for her first time out on a boat dive.

I know it's hard to predict weather, surge, or visibility, but I'd like to hear about any awesome dives that we might be able to get to from Tavernier so that she doesn't surface with that look that says "this ain't all you made it out to be, mister!"

Lots of pretty reef diving in that area. Might try the Benwood to see a bit of old wreck structure. It's a visually fun, relatively shallow dive. She will get a kick out of the glass minnows if they are there. Conch Republic is an excellent op.

If you are going to be diving for a few days (and you're already in Marathon), there are some nice patch reefs in that area as well. Samantha's reef is a nice leisurely dive (especially for a 1st night dive, lol) Have fun. :)

If you don't mind the 45 minute trip or so, Looe Key is an excellent shallow water dive, most of the reef is in 15 to 20 feet of water. Looe Key resort's boat is a wide catamaran so it's a nice stable ride.

... but I'd like to hear about any awesome dives that we might be able to get to from Tavernier so that she doesn't surface with that look that says "this ain't all you made it out to be, mister!"

Conch Republic Divers will regularly go to a spot called "Paradise Reef". It's not that deep and it literally is packed with everything from gentle nurse shark, black grouper, lobster, colorful reefs and bazzilions of fish. If she's does it for her very 1st dive, you'll have spoiled her rotten cause not many other reefs measure up to in in terms of quality.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

.IMG_4644.jpgIMG_3151.JPGIMG_3358.JPGIMG_3168.JPG

Check out the Albums here, and if you have any questions, let me know. We dive the Keys almost every year, and stay on Marathon as well. It;s a quick drive up to Key Largo, or down to Key West. Tilden's and Dive Duck Key in Marathon, Ocean Divers, Emocean in Key Largo, Looe Key Dive Resort for Loee Key and Finz Dive Center in Key West for the Vandenberg are our normal shops. This site has pictures from all over the Keys.

Wet Lizard Dive Team

you won't go wrong by starting with Conch Republic. Cap't Gary and the Admiral are a top notch team and will make sure you both have some fantastic diving.

don't forget to post a trip report!

For shallow dives it hard to beat Molasses. Snapper ledges, Davis Ledges, Hens & Chickens, Pickles are also very nice. Conch Republic Divers is a top notch shop down there for sure. Have fun.

If you don't mind the 45 minute trip or so, Looe Key is an excellent shallow water dive, most of the reef is in 15 to 20 feet of water. Looe Key resort's boat is a wide catamaran so it's a nice stable ride.

We have relatives that live on Big Pine Key, so we'll spend plenty of time, down that way. Maybe we can talk Mickey into taking his boat out to this reef, if we can find it on the map. He just bought the boat, so I'm sure he'll want to show it off! I'm not sure the wife is keen on being the only divers in the ocean, though. She's convinced that every shark in the world will be heading straight for her! Good information, though. Thanks!

---------- Post added January 4th, 2016 at 07:11 PM ----------

Lots of pretty reef diving in that area. Might try the Benwood to see a bit of old wreck structure. It's a visually fun, relatively shallow dive. She will get a kick out of the glass minnows if they are there. Conch Republic is an excellent op.

If you are going to be diving for a few days (and you're already in Marathon), there are some nice patch reefs in that area as well. Samantha's reef is a nice leisurely dive (especially for a 1st night dive, lol) Have fun. :)

I've been hinting at a night dive, but she's still a long way from agreeing to that. We'll look around at the maps, and see what's out there. Thanks!

---------- Post added January 4th, 2016 at 07:13 PM ----------

Conch Republic Divers will regularly go to a spot called "Paradise Reef". It's not that deep and it literally is packed with everything from gentle nurse shark, black grouper, lobster, colorful reefs and bazzilions of fish. If she's does it for her very 1st dive, you'll have spoiled her rotten cause not many other reefs measure up to in in terms of quality.

Very nice! Awesome photos! Thanks so much! She'll love this!

---------- Post added January 4th, 2016 at 07:19 PM ----------

you won't go wrong by starting with Conch Republic. Cap't Gary and the Admiral are a top notch team and will make sure you both have some fantastic diving.

don't forget to post a trip report!

Will do! Thanks!

I have over a 100 quarry dives. I have around 100 dives in the Keys. The worse Keys dive with what they call bad viz (20-30 ft) is far more interesting than the best quarry dive. They only way you can go wrong is if the winds are up and the boats do not go out. Then, at least to me, Jules is still better than a quarry. At least you see some stuff and it is warmer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom