New Dive Rite CX1: First Impressions and reflections..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Replacement CX1 tail cap has been "dry fired" a lot to compare to the original while cleaning and cleaning and more cleaning it. I'm very happy with the replacement and satisfied with the original. If I close my eyes and do a blind test I can tell the difference, but not by much anymore.

Will keep an eye on the CX2 reviews. My outdoorsy, eldest son says that the newer battery that the CX2 uses is quite popular now and decent spare batteries can be found quite easily. Still not sure I'm sold on the switch being on the barrel though. But the charging indicator on it is nice. The USB-C charging port is good in a pinch, but I'd most likely be swapping the battery out for a fully charged spare and putting the first on the standalone charger.

Still no symptoms whatsoever, which is good from a health perspective; and bad from a questioning-whether-it-was-a-false-positive-and-we-should-now-be-in-Roatan-diving perspective! Oh well, it is what it is and we will hopefully get down there at some point in 2021.

Would love to see some pics of the cx1 vs cx2 next to each other. Light output as well as body to compare size difference. If anyone has some time to burn.

Here you go.

CX2 seems to have a larger beam pattern as well as being brighter. They came in a few days ago - haven't gotten CX2 wet yet. Jumped on the CX2s after having the tail cap replaced on the CX1. Was not happy when the CX1's tail cap rusted after only being in fresh water. CX2 Surprisingly large and heavy but still happy with them. I'm sure I'll like the integrated charger when packing for my next trip. One less thing to forget.

Sam

Attachments

• 20210102_212116279_iOS.jpg
    20210102_212116279_iOS.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 144
  • 20210102_212129970_iOS.jpg
    20210102_212129970_iOS.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 140
  • 20210102_212327901_iOS.jpg
    20210102_212327901_iOS.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 157
Anyone dived the cx2 yet and compared it with the cx1 underwater? How is the burn time and output drop in comparison?
I have dove with the cx2 a couple of times but have not done a comprehensive burn down test. I think the battery on the cx2 is 5000mAh. Vs 5200mAh on the CX1, so in theory it should have a slightly shorter burn time.. **but I am not 100% sure if the chip/LED are exactly the same.

I think the CX2 really is an improvement in a couple areas.
-the QRM mount is improved and can attach directly to the body
-new on/off bottom near the head that shows green/red power levels.
-longer body may actually make it better for stowing as a backup on harness straps like GUE guys seem to like.
-removing the on/off button from the end makes it easier to attach a bolt-snap without interference with the button.

Dove the CX2 all week running a OW trip with a new site every day. Was thankful for the integrated charger I could plug my phone cable into while driving and the red/green 50% indicator letting me know I had enough for at least the next dive vs the CX1 which just blinks 30 min before dying.

From the Dive Rite website the new CX2 will run 5.75 hrs at 1000 lumens vs 3.5 hrs for the CX1. At 1700 lumen which the CX1 can’t do the CX2 will die sooner. I can only assume it uses a better LED to run hours longer with slightly smaller battery.

Wearing the glove QRM I noticed the CX2 touched my Shearwater. Makes me think I need to test it for fit with my dry suit dry glove rings.

Sam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom