New Dive Rite CX1: First Impressions and reflections..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the tail cap proved faulty. Mine retained water and rusted.

I would've like to see them improve that instead.

I also saw that it switch to 21700 battery, that is a less common battery with few protected batteries really available. I guess I will have to hang on to my CX1s.

I was disappointed to see DR discontinue this awesome light after just 1 year in the field. Today I noticed they have a new replacement model called the 'CX2' that is 1700 lumens and same price as CX1.

I picked up a new CX2 a few days ago. I haven’t had it in the water yet, but did take a look at it.
First reaction:
-it’s longer than the CX1, so I will have to see how that feels on a hand mount
-I really like the new switch that gives you a Green/Red/blink charge level.
-It now works with a QRM without that adaptor ring, which is a plus for me.
-I think it’s nice that even though Dive Rite sells this light with a new battery type. They Also include the sleeve/adaptor to allow you to use an 18650, which is really becoming a standard for recharge batteries in my world.

To me, the button-on-barrel arrangement is the deal breaker. I think one could argue that the more complex tailcap on the CX2 is better for some and also that you'll be able to get replacement 21700 cells more readily at some point. Both of these are disadvantages in my eyes, but not huge. The big advantage is that the striker plate mounts directly. The arrangement on the CX1 with that ring is not great and the new BX2 and CX2 situation is better, in my opinion.

i just ordered the cx2 but haven't received it as yet. I love the tail usb charge detail. i own a few tovatec's for exactly that reason but those things have no burn time to speak of.

I picked up a new CX2 a few days ago. I haven’t had it in the water yet, but did take a look at it.
First reaction:
-it’s longer than the CX1, so I will have to see how that feels on a hand mount
-I really like the new switch that gives you a Green/Red/blink charge level.
-It now works with a QRM without that adaptor ring, which is a plus for me.
-I think it’s nice that even though Dive Rite sells this light with a new battery type. They Also include the sleeve/adaptor to allow you to use an 18650, which is really becoming a standard for recharge batteries in my world.

Yeah i noticed on the dimensions that its about 1.5" longer than the cx1. Can you post a pic of the cx1 and cx2 side by side? You know how much we love pics :)

I think the tail cap proved faulty. Mine retained water and rusted.
I leave for a trip in a week and just started pulling all my gear together (yeah a week or two late on being organised, what with the holidays etc.!!). Got my batteries for my CX1 all charged up and went to test and my rear button is non-functioning. Came online and found this thread. Really not happy about this. Bought in June of 2019, it's been on two separate trips and what I thought was meticulously cleaned. Is there any recourse on this, have DR provided replacement tail caps? Discounted replacement program for the CX2 if no CX1's are available? Can't say I really want to drop coin on a replacement CX2 if this is what happened with the CX1 and there's no positive response from their customer service (doesn't open for another couple of hours).

I leave for a trip in a week and just started pulling all my gear together (yeah a week or two late on being organised, what with the holidays etc.!!). Got my batteries for my CX1 all charged up and went to test and my rear button is non-functioning. Came online and found this thread. Really not happy about this. Bought in June of 2019, it's been on two separate trips and what I thought was meticulously cleaned. Is there any recourse on this, have DR provided replacement tail caps? Discounted replacement program for the CX2 if no CX1's are available? Can't say I really want to drop coin on a replacement CX2 if this is what happened with the CX1 and there's no positive response from their customer service (doesn't open for another couple of hours).

Scratch the "open for another couple of hours", that's DRIS, where I bought the light from, which I will try again when open. I tried contacting DR directly, seems they're in FL but just got their answering service so I'm guessing not open at the weekend. I've sent them a message and will follow up on Monday with them.

Knowing I'm leaving next Sat. what are my options, does anyone have replacement tail cap assemblies? Can the tail cap be taken apart and fixed? If I need a replacement torch (flashlight) for rec diving (no canisters), what's the best replacement for a CX1 that isn't a CX2?

Scratch the "open for another couple of hours", that's DRIS, where I bought the light from, which I will try again when open. I tried contacting DR directly, seems they're in FL but just got their answering service so I'm guessing not open at the weekend. I've sent them a message and will follow up on Monday with them.

Knowing I'm leaving next Sat. what are my options, does anyone have replacement tail cap assemblies? Can the tail cap be taken apart and fixed? If I need a replacement torch (flashlight) for rec diving (no canisters), what's the best replacement for a CX1 that isn't a CX2?

I don’t think the replacement tail cap assemblies exist. Your best bet is probability one of the DGX lights. But the DGX lights take a 18650. I don’t know of any other recreational lights that take a 26650. They ship fast. Order today and you’ll probably have by Wednesday or Thursday if you up the shipping level.

I had about the same purchase-to-problem timeline as you and DR sent me a replacement cap under warranty.

On another note, it seems to me the 21700 technology and availability are already up to speed. I found 21 protected offerings at www.batteryjunction.com

Battery Junction- Thousands of Batteries, Flashlights, & More!

I have a couple of OrcaTorch D520s (18650) I’m ready to hand down to my wife and daughter to make room for an upgrade. Since I’m living in Florida full time I intend to get cave trained and the D520s are probably under spec as back-ups for cave duty. I’d get a couple of those new CX2s but there’s no flared definition to the light head. It will drive me batty if they randomly slip out of the EPDM snoopy loops like the D520s do (they also lack flare at the head of the light).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom