New Dive Rite CX1: First Impressions and reflections..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Caveeagle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have seen plenty of threads and reviews of the latest and greatest cutting edge canister lights that rival the landing lights on a 747. A recent post on a FB group had me thinking about how far Dive lighting has evolved even for the entry level lights. Both primary and backup lights.

Just as a primer.. here is the exact lights Used for my initial cavern/cave training in 1991. (Left).. next to the new Dive Rite CX1 and a pair of BX1 backup lights.
View media item 206928
As much as I liked those early lights.. they are relics of a bygone era. It is pretty fantastic how far lighting as come.

So now, to my point, focusing on the new Dive Rite CX1. I was particularly intersted in getting my hands on this new light, because of the kind of diving I do, which is mostly fresh water springs and caves. A $500 - $1500 primary canister light is often NOT the right tool for the job, and even if you have the budget, most Cavern or Tech diving students are still at least a year away from needing the power and burn time of the Too Gun lights.

I’ve had this light in the water twice now, and have been very impressed. I have been looking for a push Button light that could work well as an OW/Cavern/Intro light, but also be small enough to be a backup light for longer cave dives. Don’t get me wrong, the BX1 is a great backup and will still be on many more dives with me, but something that’s a little more up to “primary” role, and has button, for one handed on/off selection was what I wanted.
I tried a Hollis LED3, but its bulky, and did not run on a 26650/18650 rechargeable, which is now what I am set on for all my non-can lights. In the water It’s a nice light with a tight spot and a decent flood, considering the small size of the reflector.
My last dive was 84 minute run time, and reg 5,200mAh 26650 battery burned 56% on high setting for all but the last 3 minutes of the dive.
View media item 206936When side-by-side with my LX20, it showed a little tighter beam, but not quite as much flood.
Around Wayne,s campfire, we did the “shine at the tree” test, and it convinced the crowd on hand of its superiority to a BX2 and a DGX?(1k Lumen) BU light.
Here it’s size compared to three other lights:
Hollis LED3, DR BX1, *DR CX1, and LX20
View media item 206935View media item 206933It has an optional mount sleeve w hand strap, but I also tried it with the soft QRM mount and adapter pad. For me this made sense, because I already have a few lights set up for the QRM
View media item 206934View media item 206932View media item 206931
I like the Button feature and the multiple power settings. We had a little debate about how useful the strobe was, but we finally seeemd to agree that it could be useful for lost buddy scenario, or strobe markers for wreck penetration.

I won’t be retiring my LX20 anytime soon, however this light is right in the sweet spot for open water, cavern, or even Intro-Cave Primary. As well as high end back-up for longer dives.

For divers looking for a strong Primary light that can get you through AOW, Cavern, and even Intro to Cave without needing to sell a kidney, this is a great new option.

Thanks for the review. Today I decided to order one and sure enough you are the first review I found. Surprisingly, not many threads here about the BX1 or BX2 either. I found this vid review on youtube of the BX2 which shows it against the popular ANO r105t. What a difference! The best part are his tests which show the lux rating and voltages. Im really surprised the BX2 is not more popular here considering its only $100.

What drew me to the CX1 is the push button, multiple light modes and the 26650 battery burn time. I should be able to do 2 OW dives and still get almost full light output on the same battery.

This light will be my primary for day dives on wrecks and reefs with overhangs. Should be plenty for those murky days. How do you like the soft DR goodman handle? Is it really sturdy or do you find it slightly bulky with that round adaptor?

Any other lights you do a shootout with and how did it compare? The only other light that interested me was the CA explorer light. Same price but I have a feeling the CX1's output is steadier over the course of an hour, especially after seeing the test graph of the BX2 on that youtube review.

Also, at the end of your 84 min dive did you notice the light intensity diminish at all or would you say that it was more or less the same from the start?

And lastly if you set the light to low mode for example, and then turn it off and back on again, does it stay in that mode or does it always revert back to high mode?

Any other lights you do a shootout with and how did it compare? The only other light that interested me was the CA explorer light. Same price but I have a feeling the CX1's output is steadier over the course of an hour, especially after seeing the test graph of the BX2 on that youtube review.

I just compared it against the LX20, a BX2 and a DGX backup light, but I did not catch the model#

Also, at the end of your 84 min dive did you notice the light intensity diminish at all or would you say that it was more or less the same from the start?

I did not notice any drop off in performance. but that is more a function of the battery power curve, vs the light. And I doubt I would notice a slight decline just by casual observation.

And lastly if you set the light to low mode for example, and then turn it off and back on again, does it stay in that mode or does it always revert back to high mode?

It turns on back at full power mode, regardless of what setting it’s at when turned off.

I saw one of these this week at the LDS. The charger is USB! Looks like a convenient but slow choice of charger.

I honestly didn’t even take the included charger out of the wrapper. Because 18650 and 26650 batteries are so common now, most people I know have a larger multi port smart charger. I personally use an XTAR Dragon VP4, which can test cells, indicate battery charge capacity, and a few other tricks, I have not tried yet.

I think Dive Rite had to balance the need to include a minimalist charger against keep the cost down for those who will never even use the included charger.

I look at it this way.. I can keep it in my glove box for if I ever need an emergency charge. Or, just for traveling.

I got to take my new light on a dive last night. Vis was about 30'. All I can say is WOW.... I love this light. Used it for about 90 mins. and could not discern any noticeable light loss. This was the main reason I got this light (ie. steady light output for 1.5 hrs min, which it definitely did). The beam is tight and bright and it was able to cut through murky areas easily. Im definitely going to buy another one (possibly 2 more) and make a custom 3 light cannon goodman. I will have the center light with the optionsl flood lens cover, and the outside ones as spot. That will allow me to switch the flood on/off when night dive vis allows to really light up the area.

I was disappointed to see DR discontinue this awesome light after just 1 year in the field. Today I noticed they have a new replacement model called the 'CX2' that is 1700 lumens and same price as CX1.

I was disappointed to see DR discontinue this awesome light after just 1 year in the field. Today I noticed they have a new replacement model called the 'CX2' that is 1700 lumens and same price as CX1.

As someone that uses the CX1 as a back up light I am disappointed to see the added modes and the tail cap button going away.

As someone that uses the CX1 as a back up light I am disappointed to see the added modes and the tail cap button going away.

Me, too! I grabbed a second CX1 off Amazon about two months ago. I use two as backup lights. I now use a LX20 as primary (bought it used). I have the elastic hand mount for one CX1. It’s not too bad.

I think the tail cap proved faulty. Mine retained water and rusted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom