New Dive Guide for Bonaire Just Published

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Dive Guide Bonaire was said to have wonderful maps of all the sites and they are pretty useless. More of a cartoon joke than a map. I also bought a digital snorkeling guide that was supposed to have incredable detail. Eh, not so much. Returned for a refund.

That is why i purchased the kindle version. I purchased several over the years including the BSDME and donated them all the the hotel room. Not worth it for me. This is the 1st guide that may survive and be useful( may even buy the hsrdcopy also if it holds up during the trip) I am digging the maps (buddy reef is the most plain) with sand channels and such. Like the lake reef dive site, and know I know why it has its name.

Does it have the 26 sites or just the 9 shown?

I’m a FNG so there’s that for you. I have the Kindle edition of this and the BSDME and this is going to raise some ire and NO I haven’t been to Bonaire yet. But, the Reef SMart Kindle version looks to me to be one of the most useful Dive Guide I’ve ever seen. The photos with guidance arrows for the complex shore entries and above and below water cutaways showing coral versus sand are awesome. It has pretty much everything on the STINAPA map and a few sites that aren’t. I look forward to bringing my IPad to Bonaire and using this guide. Thank you OP for turning me on to this!

Hi everyone. Nice to be connected with so many dive enthusiasts! As KathyV mentioned, Amazon's Look Inside function for our Bonaire guidebook is a bit garbled at the moment. We're not sure why. They are working on the problem and will also upload the Look Inside function for the Fort Lauderdale guidebook this week. In the meantime. There's a sample book on the Reef Smart website of the Barbados guidebook (located here: https://reefsmartguides.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Barbados_Dive_Guide_SampleWeb.pdf) which hopefully provides decent insight into how these guidebooks differ from others. All our guidebooks have the same look and feel and the 3D models and maps are of similar quality. Hope this helps. All the best!

Thank you Ian! I see that Amazon has removed the Look Inside for the Bonaire Guide while they get it fixed and that is better than the garbled version; I am sure that they will take care of it soon.

I have never been to Barbados so I cannot comment on accuracy, but the graphics and detail look wonderful!

Bought this the other day and it should arrive soon, we leave on Feb 3 for two weeks and there are six of us so hard copy made the most sense. Plus I had an Amazon gift card burning a hole in my digital pocket.

I just bought the Kindle edition for my iPad and after a cursory look through it I have to say this is the guide to get.

As a part time resident of Bonaire with a couple of hundred dives here, I only wish I had it years ago. The explicit directions and photos showing access and entries, including GPS Coordinates, would have saved me grief finding the sites and stumbling and fumbling getting in and out of the water. I will also make use of the underwater guidance instead of simply depending on serendipity

The supplemental info about Bonaire and the marine life is also excellent. Overall, I think someone coming to Bonaire for the first time, equipped with this guide, could enhance their experience way beyond the modest cost of the guide, currently less than $8 USD for the Kindle edition..

And, no, I have no connection to the authors or any financial interest in its success. My enthusiasm is just based on my assessment of the guide as a purchaser.

Andy

I just bought the Kindle edition for my iPad and after a cursory look through it I have to say this is the guide to get.

As a part time resident of Bonaire with a couple of hundred dives here, I only wish I had it years ago. The explicit directions and photos showing access and entries, including GPS Coordinates, would have saved me grief finding the sites and stumbling and fumbling getting in and out of the water. I will also make use of the underwater guidance instead of simply depending on serendipity

The supplemental info about Bonaire and the marine life is also excellent. Overall, I think someone coming to Bonaire for the first time, equipped with this guide, could enhance their experience way beyond the modest cost of the guide, currently less than $8 USD for the Kindle edition..

And, no, I have no connection to the authors or any financial interest in its success. My enthusiasm is just based on my assessment of the guide as a purchaser.

Andy
Though I don't have your experience, I heartily agree. I went ahead and bought the hard copy so I could take it to Bonaire rather than rely on my Kindle and it is just as impressive as the Kindle version in print. The 3D cutaway photography of the dive sites is simply brilliant! The arrows showing how to do proper shore entry at the various dive sites - Brilliant. Also it lists a few dive sites on Bonaire not on the STINAPA map. Well researched obviously. Clearly a game changing type guide. If you are in the business of scuba diving guides you should be paying attention to this! Disclosure: No financial disclosure. I have not received anything for free nor been paid for any review.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom