New Dive Flag Regulations for Cape Ann Area?!?!?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
:furious:I just received word that a new regulation passed that would require divers in Gloucester to each carry his or her own flag no matter how many divers are diving in a group!?!?!?!?! Is this for real?!?!?!? If so I would love to see the tangled web we will weave with this one. How much more can they do to keep us from diving!!!!! :whack: I am getting really frusterated with what Cape Ann is doing to keep divers from diving in the ocean... Which the last time I had checked was open to every American citizen... Oh well, it won't stop me... :shakehead It may kill a few, but I will continue to legally park my car at Lane's Cove and dive under my own flag, which I will bob and weave to keep 25 feet away from any and all lobster pots... While kissing the commercial lobstermen's behinds!!! :banghead: This is ridiculous!!! Where does it stop. I truely hope that this is all just a nasty rumor! :sulkoff:

i havent herd but that dont mean anything..
but it does seem that they wanna chase divers away.
its too bad but its working for me, im not gonn drive over a hour to dive in a spot where im just gonna get a hard time,,,
im out there to have fun.
you would think CAD would have a little more of a presence and lobby to some extent about this.. its there buisness being harmed

This was a big topic today at the GAFC Chris. It seems to be for real. I don't think it's been enforced yet though. Imagine leading a group of new divers each with there own dive flags....Around lobster trap lines....Scary thought Huh....

Al

Massachusetts Dive Flag Law

The following paragraph is taken verbatim from Mass. General laws, public ways and works 90B 13A:

"Every Scuba diver or group of scuba divers while swimming on or under the surface of the waters of the Commonwealth shall display for each diver or group of divers as a warning device to boat operators, a diver's flag, so called, constructed of rigidly supported material at least 12" by 15" in area of red backgroud with a diagonal stripe. Such diver's flag shall be displayed on a boat or surface float and shall extend a minimum distance of three feet from the surface of the water. A boat operator within sight of a diver's flag shall proceed with caution and within 100' of such flag shall proceed at a speed not to exceed three-mph".

reefguy06:
Massachusetts Dive Flag Law

The following paragraph is taken verbatim from Mass. General laws, public ways and works 90B 13A:

"Every Scuba diver or group of scuba divers while swimming on or under the surface of the waters of the Commonwealth shall display for each diver or group of divers as a warning device to boat operators, a diver's flag, so called, constructed of rigidly supported material at least 12" by 15" in area of red backgroud with a diagonal stripe. Such diver's flag shall be displayed on a boat or surface float and shall extend a minimum distance of three feet from the surface of the water. A boat operator within sight of a diver's flag shall proceed with caution and within 100' of such flag shall proceed at a speed not to exceed three-mph".
Yes thats Mass Law but unfortunately we live in a Commonwealth. Meaning the local towns can change the law how they see fit as long as it's more stringent. So yes they can change it so that every diver has a flag. From what I hear the Harbor Master is also the Chief of Police go figure what kinda of crap we'll receive. This is where we need to get all the dive clubs together with other groups IE Veterans, Fishing. and write our Congress/State officials to complain about the parking and access problems. This way it won't just be divers complaining but a group of Mass. citizens. Maybe even talk to there Chamber of Congress and ask if they want to loose the buiness we can bring. If they help us we can let others know and patronise there buisnesses.
I'm a vetran and as far as I can remember we didn't lose the Battle of Cape Ann and the didn't get to recide from the Nation.

We were told this at Mass Diving on Friday. On Saturday, we were at Pebble Beach using a single flag for two divers and watching many groups of divers use a single flag. Of course, that's Rockport, which might have different regulations.

I searched extensively for some solid information online and couldn't find anything about it.

We are such a small minority of the tourist population that we don't even count. However if we did start writing our state congressmen as a whole we'd make more progress.

The regulation in which Gloucester enacted is all divers must have their own flag and they must stay 25 feet away from any lobster bouy. I have heard that the Bay State Council of Divers is going to be hiring a lawyer to fight this regulation. What I am hearing is they may not have enough funds and will be asking for donations to retain a lawyer.

I think we need to get the word out on this one. If Gloucester can get this regualtion to hold up, you know Rockport will not be to far behind.

PFF:
The regulation in which Gloucester enacted is all divers must have their own flag and they must stay 25 feet away from any lobster bouy. I have heard that the Bay State Council of Divers is going to be hiring a lawyer to fight this regulation. What I am hearing is they may not have enough funds and will be asking for donations to retain a lawyer.

I think we need to get the word out on this one. If Gloucester can get this regualtion to hold up, you know Rockport will not be to far behind.

Wow, I hadn't heard of this 25' from the bouy. That's ridicules as the pots themselves can be ovber 25' from the bouy.

Nevermind not even knowing your near a bouy with the beutiful vis around here.

I hope they fight this as it seems that area is against divers.

Two solutions:
a.) ignore said rule
b.) should you get busted jerry-rig a device for flags that looks like this: :balloon One line, several flags.

Back
Top Bottom