New Dive Flag Regulations for Cape Ann Area?!?!?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i was thinkin removing the wheeles off the lobsterboats at night

Gidds:
The folks I've been diving with lately just tie off to some large underwater object that is easy to find upon exit regardless of vis. and do the dive, no flag toting. The only problem with this is if you have to CESA you might get busted or runover but you might get runover or otherwise harassed with the flag over your head anyway.

I do the same...I firmly believe it is far safer than trying to navigate around a maze of lobster traps and having to do several ascents to clear the line. But, if you do utilize this technique, a lift bag and spool is a critical piece of equipment. Shoot the bag as a marker from depth before ascending and ascend along the bag line.

dbg40:
To hell with them, they want a war, start cutting bouy lines. Every time a divers car is vandalized, 20 bouy's go floating. Kind of a "Boston lobster party"
If we do this then aren't we just as bad as the lobsterman? I'm as frustrated as the next diver on this but I believe becoming a Law breaking rebel diver will only add to our problems. I was always taught in the Military that those that survive are the ones that remain calm and collected under fire. There are other ways to hurt them legally. Let's behave like adults,not spoiled kids like the lobstermen.

What happens below the surface... stays below the surface :wink:

*sorry... I don't actually advocate this, nor do I dive anywhere near CA.. though I do have something semi-valid to supply*

..."a diver's flag, so called, constructed of rigidly supported material at least 12" by 15" in area of red backgroud with a diagonal stripe. Such diver's flag shall be displayed on a boat or surface float and shall extend a minimum distance of three feet from the surface of the water."

It does not specify *which direction* from the surface of the water that the flag should be... Take a dive flag, stick it on your SMB.... launch it when you are getting ready to surface.

*IF* someone says something.. "Why yes, I did have my surface float, it is called a signal marker bouy.. it is 'Inflateable' so that it will float and has an added 'ridged 12in x15in flag' which extends beyond the required 3 foot distance from the surface (be it a fifty foot distance below, before you deploy it... or 6 feet above, with the full size SMB.... It meets all the requirements listed in the law officer"... *hand copy of the law*

With any luck, maybe someone could even get a manufacturer to mass produce a SMB with an integral, inflateable dive flag (making the SMB kind of shaped like two number 7's stiched together to make it inflateable) ... such that when the SMB is deployed it also identifies the bouy as a diver, in the event a boat operator doesn't know what a SMB is but does know what a Divers Down flag is...

Take care, and good luck CA Divers,

Scott

I guess the Mass diving laws are as bad as their baseball team! :p

Kidding...

Well not really.....

No seriously I was just kidding.... All you Bahston fans don't get too riled up!

Just make a huge float and toss a flag on it for each person thats going down.

aic007:

Kidding...

Well not really.....

No seriously I was just kidding.... All you Bahston fans don't get too riled up!

What place is said baseball team in?

aic007:

Kidding...

Well not really.....

WHAT!!!!!!!

YOU WANNA PIECE OF ME!!!!!!!

@#@!!@@###&^**%$##!@#*(*(**$$@#!@**$%@@$#$***@#@!@$^((%^$#@##$#$@#@##$$&***@@@@@
and **%#!@#%&*&^$%#@&*^^#@&^%#$#^$#$#$!@#!@!#%@##@%^*

Right Jim Jam.

:)

tied in the loss column, you only got half game cause you played an extra game.

AND IT WAS A JOKE!!!!!

Knew that would get all you guys in a tizzie. gonna be a great series in 3 weeks, definately gonna be like last year coming down to the last game of the season.

scubadobadoo:
Anybody know what the ticket costs for breaking one of these new laws?

At this point, I don't even think there is a "new" law. A new law is simply being proposed. That is my understanding in any event.

Back
Top Bottom