New Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got a TAG on right now and have walked through PLENTY of 3rd world countries with it on....and I don't mean safe touristy places, I mean pretty scary spots. I don't mind keeping something like that on my wrist. My problem with watch-sized computers is that they're a compromise. It's a personal paradigm that I have one tool for every job and one job for every tool. Every additional job you add to the tasks a tool is to be able to achieve adds a compromise. I want my dive computer to be as good as possible, with no compromises.

The ONE exception to that is I like the idea of using my PDC as my watch when I go on trips. If I'm going to spend a week in Roatan, I'll leave my Tag on my desk and grab my D6i or Atom or OCS/OC1 and call that my watch AND my PDC. However, I'd feel much better with a Petrel in my bag and calling my watch-sized PDC my backup. Also, I'd rather carry my Tag AND my Petrel and have a PDC and a watch as separate tools. Also, they're cool conversation starters. Go somewhere with a D6i on and a diver will very likely approach you about you being a diver.

Personally I've never understood the attraction of wearing a dive computer when you're not diving; I put my dive gear on before the dive and take it off afterwards, don't see why a computer should be any different

I put the OC1 on when I start my dive trip, I take it off when I get back. Whatever works for you. Wasn't trying to disparage anyone's choice. That's one of the things about Scuba that is nice. There are a lot of choices out there, I am happy with my choices. I wouldn't want something the size of a Petrel on my arm, the OC1 works for me. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom