New Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMHO, there is only one logical choice: Shearwater Petrel. I don't have one, but I'm DYING to get one. I've seen the Nitek Q (screen is awful due to a weird framerate problem). I have a Hollis DG03, have been diving with an OC1, an OCS, an Atom, a Veo, a Zoop, a few Suuntos, etc.

If you're spending over $500, get a Petrel. GORGEOUS screen, as much or more DC than anyone will ever need. No negatives that I see, other than price. If you're spending less than $500, go CHEAP. DG03's can be had for like $250 and they're pretty good. If you wait a couple months (for me to convince my fiancee that I need a Petrel)....I'll sell you mine if she doesn't want it.

Do yourself a favor: before getting anything, read the manuals. Forget about the "features" it supposedly "has"--look and see what they say in a document that explains what you have to do to actually use any of what it has/the limits of the computer. For example, the Luna's manual is a nightmare; the idea that someone is out there conducting trimix dives with this thing, a heart rate chest strap, and 10 AI transmittered tanks makes me chuckle. The Petrel's, in comparison, is simple and informative, much like the Petrel itself. The

Do yourself a favor: before getting anything, read the manuals. Forget about the "features" it supposedly "has"--look and see what they say in a document that explains what you have to do to actually use any of what it has/the limits of the computer. For example, the Luna's manual is a nightmare; the idea that someone is out there conducting trimix dives with this thing, a heart rate chest strap, and 10 AI transmittered tanks makes me chuckle. The Petrel's, in comparison, is simple and informative, much like the Petrel itself. The

If you think the Lunas manual is bad, which I agree with by the way, you should see the Cressi Eddy manual I think they paid someone to make it as incomprehensible as possible. A friend of mine has the Luna and it took me hours to figure out a pairing problem he was having. I dislike it immensely when manuals have diagrams and info/explanations related to said diagrams on different pages. The HW computer and manual are both also very easy to understand. Sounds like the Petrel, the HW is intuitive enough that you could almost get away without reading the manual, assuming it wasn't your first DC.

I was out diving on the weekend and a friend of mine was getting an error message on his DC and had no idea what it meant, he couldn't even access the dive log manual, he's had the computer for a year. I gave him a bit of stick about it and explained the importance of reading the manual.

The first thing I do when I get a new computer is spend sometime reading the manual and playing with it. I've been on a few liveaboards and had to help people with their Suuntos as they had no idea at all.

Sorry for the sidetrack.

The Petrel looks like a great computer. I am sure it is. But if the OP wants something that he can wear as a watch it hardly fits the bill. It is way to big to wear as a watch.

I don't read wrist-mounted as meaning "watch", and the Luna sure isn't watch-sized either. But yes, the Petrel is not a watch.

Ah, but the OC1 is and I happen to like it.:D And it happens to be one on the list he made to start the thread. One might surmise that he is looking for one watch sized, given the computers he listed.
I don't read wrist-mounted as meaning "watch", and the Luna sure isn't watch-sized either. But yes, the Petrel is not a watch.

I have an Omega dive watch of which I'm very fond, but I would never try to stuff a dive computer into that form. To each their own, however.

I have an Omega dive watch of which I'm very fond, but I would never try to stuff a dive computer into that form. To each their own, however.

I have a citizens Aqualand watch I am very fond of. I don't expect it to take the place of a computer, unless of course I am diving tables, but I have a backup computer, just in case, oh, and the Aqualand isn't Hoseless AI:D. The OC1 fits my needs and is just a bit larger than my Citizens watch.

On the issue of watch-like form factor dive computers, I'd suggest one consider:

1.) Do you want to wear something that expensive around on a daily basis in your routine life, & risk damaging it, scratching it up, etc...?

2.) Are you now, or are you likely to be in the next few years, at an age where you have difficulty focusing your vision in close, & reading fine text gets difficult?

If that's all good, then you may want a watch form factor. I'm not dissing them, just giving some points to ponder.

Richard.

1.) Do you want to wear something that expensive around on a daily basis in your routine life, & risk damaging it, scratching it up, etc...?

My wristwatches (Omega, TAG) cost more than my X1... not bragging, just saying. I see plenty of divers and non-divers alike wearing watches (dive watches and otherwise) that cost more than any computer currently available

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom