New Cold Water Diver Wetsuit Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Plester3

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I Just Got my Open Water Certification with SSI, and now im buying all my Gear.
I Just Ordered a 7 mil Pinnacle Eclipse Farmer John and Jacket Wet Suit, do u guys think this is enough for the 50 degree or possibly Lower temperatures im going to be Facing this Winter? Ive Already got 5 mil boots and Gloves, havent picked out a hood yet:) Just to let u know i cant afford a Drysuit.

Any Suggestions would be appreciated thnx,
Jonathan

Oh Yeah im Diving in the Okanagan, B.C. Canada (thats Southern B.C.):14:

Is a 7 mil enough? only you can tell with experience, each of us has a different tolerance level. You have already ordered a suit, Factory suits seldom fit well and you may have lots of water transfer. Call your dive shop immediately and see if the manufacturer will customize the fit. Some companies will some won't. There are a very few companies that will customize the fit of another companies products.

If none of those options are available, make some dives with the new suit and if there is a big problem with too loose a fit, get a can of wet suit cement and with the help of experienced divers, trim out the excesses.

I dove several years with a factory cut suit. . . I thought it fit. When I ordered a replacement suit. The company offered a custom option for $25. One week after a 25 minute dive with the old suit, I made it to almost one hour with the new suit, Pouring out the water of my 3-finger mits there was steam coming off the water inside. If the body of the suit is loose, there are sleeveless vests, or hooded sleeveless vests that are very useful.

I use that same setup to dive the lakes here in Montana. You should be good down to 50 for long periods of time and into the forties for shorter periods. Just make sure you have a way to warm up after the dive.

Thnx for the advice Guys, and just to let u know I ordered the wetsuit through the Local dive shop and i will be checking the fit b4 I go diving, if it doesnt fit properly ill exchange it or get i altered.

Again thnx for the Advice,
Jonathan

Howdy from Texas and welcome to SB!

If you can't afford a dry suit, you can make your 7 mil suit work okay. Maybe get a 1 mil long jump suit to wear under it, but mostly do all you can to stay warm on surface intervals. :wink:

If you haven't yet, click Forums above and start going thru the list - looking for those of interest to you, especially your local dive club. Click the link in my Sig below to PM me if I can help you around here..

:cowboy: don

Hi there,

Depending on your sensitivity and stubborness it can be done. I'm still diving wet in mid-30 degree water. I put a 3 mil in under my 7 mil yesterday though. After our second dive my toes were cold, but that was it. I've been told neoprene socks inside the boots should help.

We've found it usefull to toss our mitts and hoods, into a cooler full of hot water. We didn't do it once and everything had frozen during the SI. I'll be taking a bigger cooler next time and tossing my boots in too.

As far as a drysuit goes, I've run into a few new to nearly new for great prices. You may luck out and find one for near what you are paying for your wetsuit. One day too I may go dry...

I know you said you couldn't afford a drysuit, but I thought I'd pass on:

FDog's guide to saving $1000 on a drysuit

How to save $1000: buy a drysuit now.

How not to save $1000:
>buy rack 7mm wetsuit, hood, booties $400
>get cold
>add steamer vest $120
>still get cold
>buy custom wetsuit, semi dry, $500
>still get cold
>buy drysuit

All the best, James

Welcome to :sblogo:
:wave-smil :wave-smil
:chicken:

fdog:
>still get cold
>buy drysuit
Sounds like good advice to me!:rofl3:
50 degrees BBBRRRRRR!!!! :11:
Hello from warm and sunny Florida! -insert smart alec smilie here-
Welcome to SB! :D

It totally depends on the person. I have been in 42F water with 7mm jumpsuit and 3 mm shorty under it. 5mm boots and gloves My Toes and fingers got cold after 50 min. On second dive I got cold after about 45 min.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom