cold water quarry diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just wish there was a quarry local to me to even dive. Cold or not.
But, but, but, ... Southern California? Pacific Ocean? Catalina Island?

ETA: I will be attending a professional conference in Phoenix in early June. I'm exploring ways now to get from there to SoCal to dive, finally, kelp forests!

rx7diver

Yeah, that made my scratch my head, too!
But, but, but, ... Southern California? Pacific Ocean? Catalina Island?

ETA: I will be attending a professional conference in Phoenix in early June. I'm exploring ways now to get from there to SoCal to dive, finally, kelp forests!

rx7diver

Sometimes I would love to have zero surge just to change things up.

When I had the opportunity to dive in a lake which I assume would be "like" a quarry the water was smooth as glass from the top to the bottom. Quite a change from where on any given day in the big blue I could be moved from 5-10' without any self-propulsion.

I wish these winds would go away so I can jump in

I dive Blue water park pretty much every other weekend. Temps are about 65 at the surface right now.

whats yalls views on cold weather quarry diving? im going out on saturday, and want to know, what are your tips and tricks for all colder water diving?

i will be diving a 5mm hood, 6mm boots, 6mil of wetsuit over my chest, and 3 over legs and arms. 4 mil of gloves, and 9 around my neck

thanks!
Update! First dive was cold, 54° at depth. Very happy with my setup. Kept me brisk!

I was reminded of this thread today when I went with my daughter to our LDS to try on rental wetsuits she reserved for her open water checkout which is in about ten days in Bull Shoals Lake AR. The LDS staff are putting their certies in a 3 mil jumpsuit with 5 mil step-in shorty and bibbed hood, and they are recommending the same for the certies from the univ scuba course my daughter is taking.

Interesting.

When I went on this same open water checkout in 1987, same place and same time of year, I wore a 1/4" farmer John and a 1/4" step-in shorty and bibbed hood (a bit more insulation), and I remember being very comfortable--even when we dived below the second thermocline (~55 ffw this time of year).

I think I might have overridden the LDS's advice if not for this thread.

rx7diver

P.S. And what the #$%^&@! has Scubapro done to the Classic Stab Jacket??!! It is so complicated now! So many clips and pockets! And a cummerbund!! My 1994 Black Classic is a much better product, IMHO. Much simpler. Much "quieter."

My first was a 1987 orange, "taco-pocket" version, itself very simple. Arguably, though, the version that preceded it (orange, with clip on pockets that everyone removed) was the best (??) version--simple, and very hydordynamic, especially the double-black version, especially compared to the one my daughter reserved today.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom