cold water quarry diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't remember a thermocline but I was diving dry.. I just remember there being a cliff and off the side it was all foggy. I just looked at a layout of the quarry and it's not exactly what I remember (so I guess my memory is shot to ****). I know the line was off the wall / cliff by the graveyard. It just disappeared down into nothing.

I don't remember a thermocline but I was diving dry.. I just remember there being a cliff and off the side it was all foggy. I just looked at a layout of the quarry and it's not exactly what I remember (so I guess my memory is shot to ****). I know the line was off the wall / cliff by the graveyard. It just disappeared down into nothing.
It sounds like it probably goes down to the 60 ft glass bottom boat but I'm not sure. If I recall, it is on that side of the quarry. There are 2 glass bottom boats in the Fantasy, one at around 35-40 feet and the other at 60. And, yeah, there is a thermocline at Fantasy.

Be sure you use search as well. There is SO MUCH useful information here on SB that has been posted over the years on cold water diving tips. I know because I learned from much of it as I was becoming a Great Lakes wreck diver 15 years ago. These days I'm a WWW Florida diver and I've forgotten most of the tips and tricks! LOL

whats yalls views on cold weather quarry diving? im going out on saturday, and want to know, what are your tips and tricks for all colder water diving?

i will be diving a 5mm hood, 6mm boots, 6mil of wetsuit over my chest, and 3 over legs and arms. 4 mil of gloves, and 9 around my neck

thanks!

I would be much, much too cold in MO and AR quarries at this time of year, wearing what you describe. Here, I would require at least a 6mm farmer John and 6mm top (so, at least 12 mm across my torso), and a thick hood and thick booties and thick gloves/mitts.

Make sure your regulators can handle the cold water. They can freeze up, and free-flow, well before the ambient water temperature is near freezing. Use the standard "tricks" (e.g., do NOT simultaneously inhale and power inflate your BC).

Strip out of your wetsuit, and hang it up on a clothesline (but NOT in strong direct sunlight), to let it drain, during your long surface interval. Stay out of the wind, and make sure you dry off completely and warm up thoroughly.

Be Safe. Have fun.

rx7diver

I would be much, much too cold in MO and AR quarries at this time of year, wearing what you describe. Here, I would require at least a 6mm farmer John and 6mm top (so, at least 12 mm across my torso), and a thick hood and thick booties and thick gloves/mitts.

Make sure your regulators can handle the cold water. They can freeze up, and free-flow, well before the ambient water temperature is near freezing. Use the standard "tricks" (e.g., do NOT simultaneously inhale and power inflate your BC).

Strip out of your wetsuit, and hang it up on a clothesline (but NOT in strong direct sunlight), to let it drain, during your long surface interval. Stay out of the wind, and make sure you dry off completely and warm up thoroughly.

Be Safe. Have fun.

rx7diver
Right. I use a 7 mil farmer john, hood & mitts. The mitts keep my hands warm, as opposed to thick 5 finger gloves. Most years I use them right into May as the water is usually still in the low 40s F then.

whats yalls views on cold weather quarry diving? im going out on saturday, and want to know, what are your tips and tricks for all colder water diving?

i will be diving a 5mm hood, 6mm boots, 6mil of wetsuit over my chest, and 3 over legs and arms. 4 mil of gloves, and 9 around my neck

thanks!
Cold water quarry diving gets REAL cold the deeper you get. I wouldnt do that in any less than a 9 mil semi dry wetsuit. Your setup you describe I would never try.

Bro you must have alot of insulation :) Id freeze all my extremities off. yea all of em lol

As i said prev post i dive nor cal and thats 52 to 55 year round. brrrrr
Yeah I don’t know how I did it. Also I’m like incredibly thin, very little fat on me at ALL. I did 2 dives in it, and can’t WAIT for summer to roll around for it to be warmer

Cold water quarry diving gets REAL cold the deeper you get. I wouldnt do that in any less than a 9 mil semi dry wetsuit. Your setup you describe I would never try.
This is just my all around set up + a hood and gloves and vest. I’m all in all pretty happy that I did 2 consecutive dives!

Back
Top Bottom