cold water quarry diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBadger32

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
whats yalls views on cold weather quarry diving? im going out on saturday, and want to know, what are your tips and tricks for all colder water diving?

i will be diving a 5mm hood, 6mm boots, 6mil of wetsuit over my chest, and 3 over legs and arms. 4 mil of gloves, and 9 around my neck

thanks!

Tip #1: start saving for a drysuit.

Seriously. Diving wet is miserable with really cold air temps unless you have a heated scuba hut. A nice semi-dry suit can do a pretty good job in cold water, but everyone I’ve seen diving one in cold weather was unhappy when they got out.

Tip #2: Consider steel tanks to reduce the lead needed to offset the required exposure protection.

Otherwise, keep diving. Fresh water quarry diving can be quite fun and make you a better diver. And also a good way to fill the gaps between bigger trips.

Tip #1: start saving for a drysuit.

Seriously. Diving wet is miserable with really cold air temps unless you have a heated scuba hut.

Tip #2: Consider steel tanks to reduce the lead needed to offset the required exposure protection.

Otherwise, keep diving. Fresh water diving can be quite fun and make you a better diver. And also a good way to fill the gaps between bigger trips.
what would you say is the BEST part of freshwater cold diving? i think skills would be biggest!

Sounds cold in that setup. Might bring a thermos of warm water to prewarm the suit. And stay out of the wind when you're wet.

I dived an OH quarry last weekend. 42F degree water. Drysuit, dry gloves, heated vest, thick fleece undersuit, 7mm hood. Air temp was high 30s/40ish.

I've been diving in the middle of January when the air temp was 0F and wind chill was about -20F. Water temp was 50F, though (mine diving). First stages frozen to my tanks.

I think your idea of cold and my idea of cold are two totally different things!

what would you say is the BEST part of freshwater cold diving? i think skills would be biggest!
Vis is generally better when the water is colder. I had at least 50ft viz last weekend. Freshwater also means no rinsing your gear.

I think every coldwater site/situation is different. Diving from your car, from inside your house or a heated building? How far a walk to the shore? I have a routine that allows me to do a 20 minute dive in my 7 mil wetsuit in the Atlantic by driving maybe 4 blocks worth all suited up to and from the site where the water can be in the 30s F and air about the same or less. Logistics is everything. Be as warm as possible when entering the water and have a plan for when you exit (get inside? turn on car heater?).
It can be done without a drysuit, but is not really tons of fun and you have to be really inventive. Don't allow yourself to approach hypothermia. If you're shivering, you need a new plan.

I know all the drysuit guys will say it's a must. But that depends. I dive wet very sparingly in winter--I look for "warm" days. Summer for me means the same old dive sites anyway that I drive a further distance (up to an hour) to. So for me, the expense and maintenance and possible cost of replacing an expensive zipper isn't worth it. Now if winter meant exploring new sites a lot, I'd go for it. But for me, winter is just a time to get wet sparingly (once or twice a month) to keep everything "well-oiled" so I'm ready for summer again. If I find a shell that's gravy.

Save for a drysuit. My opinion in that wetsuit configuration your going to be a popsicle. Hypothermia is not good.

whats yalls views on cold weather quarry diving? im going out on saturday, and want to know, what are your tips and tricks for all colder water diving?

i will be diving a 5mm hood, 6mm boots, 6mil of wetsuit over my chest, and 3 over legs and arms. 4 mil of gloves, and 9 around my neck

thanks!
Drysuit, drygloves, p valve, good undergarments. Diving wet in cold water isn't fun, diving wet in cold water and cold weather is miserable.

I've done it.. in the quarry in a 7mm when its snowing. When you get a drysuit you'll look back and laugh.

Gearing up with all that stuff for 40 min just to wind up cold and shivering isn't fun. Diving dry when it's 16f out and going for 2 hours and being comfortable is amazing.

thanks!

What quarry if you don’t mind me asking?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom