New Bungee / Long hose setup - Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

from my experience, and i did start with the 40" just like you. The adapter/swivel is definitely required, but i realized very quickly that i wanted to go the 7' route and be done with it.

Color doesn't matter... my 40" was yellow and my first 7' was blue. I am horizontal most times while diving and really nobody would bypass my primary to grab my bungeed secondary regardless of color. I now dive all black hoses.

i'm not sure if you should make the secondary reg an issue... in reality, if you're diving recreational depths there are probably few times you would actually need to share air. Of those few times breathing from a reg that performs differently from what you're accustomed to should not be an issue. if you have the $$ to spend then by all means.

issue with 7' hoses are the use of the stab jacket though. I don't think you can effectively tame the hose in one. Looking at a picture of the probe, there is nothing that sticks out from the side to hook it onto and tucking it in would be rather uncomfortable due to the squeeze during inflation.

Best to go with a 32" and just bow it out like GUE used to teach for their OW courses, or go with 40" with an adapter.

Looking at a picture of the probe, there is nothing that sticks out from the side to hook it onto and tucking it in would be rather uncomfortable due to the squeeze during inflation.
Spoken like someone who has never dove a Probe. I have and it's easy enough and not painful. Just tuck the hose.

I myself don't see why a long hose configuration can't work with any BC... It's just a tuck... If you have to inflate your bc so much that it's uncomfortable then you may have other issues to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

why? You denying that they did it or just don't like any post where I mention GUE?

"Shallow open water divers who do not use a long hose commonly use a standard 32” (81.3 cm) hose."

Taken straight from the current equipment configuration page in the hoses section.

A summary of this thread might be:

1 As a primary use a 40 inch hose routed under the right arm leading to a swivel and a second stage.
2 Have a 22 inch necklaced secondary.
3 In the event of an OOG situation donate the primary, or have it taken, and switch to the secondary.

Would someone like to explain the particular advantages of that over a necklaced primary and a 40 inch octopus to be taken by an OOG diver or donated by the rescuer?

having the secondary on a suicide strap allows the primary to be removed from your mouth without pulling on your neck, and by removing the regulator intended for donation anyway, you don't have to swap. Also the second stage that is being donated is in known working condition which is advantageous to help minimize the panic state from the OOA diver

issue with 7' hoses are the use of the stab jacket though. I don't think you can effectively tame the hose in one.

OP,

A 7' hose + [Scubapro] Stab Jacket presents no problem whatsoever. I used a 5' hose + SSJ during my NSS-CDS/NACD cavern and basic cave certification courses (ca. 1988). Scubapro Mk 10 regs on a Sherwood Y-valve on a Scubapro Faber 95.8 (I think). Indeed, my cavern diving textbook of that era contains illustrations showing this configuration.

My subsequent cave dives (in Missouri) after certification and first Great Lakes wreck dives used a 5' hose + SSJ. Eventually I switched out the 5' hose for a 7' hose to use with my SSJ--again, no problem whatsoever.

Eventually my shipwreck gear configuration changed to BP/W + manifolded doubles + 7' hose + etc. However, the fact remains that my early use of a long hose with my SSJ presented no problem whatsoever.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

P.S. I no longer use a long hose. (I only do single tank, recreational profiles these days. Mostly solo.)

A summary of this thread might be:

1 As a primary use a 40 inch hose routed under the right arm leading to a swivel and a second stage.
2 Have a 22 inch necklaced secondary.
3 In the event of an OOG situation donate the primary, or have it taken, and switch to the secondary.

Would someone like to explain the particular advantages of that over a necklaced primary and a 40 inch octopus to be taken by an OOG diver or donated by the rescuer?

Benefit of donating your primary as opposed to an octo
When your buddy needs gas, he needs gas. The reg in your mouth has gas. You and your OOG buddy know that because you were just breathing the reg. You also know where that primary reg is because, you know, you were just breathing that reg.

If your OOG buddy comes to your for gas and your plan is to donate a tucked octopus, who knows what its state is. Perhaps you will easily find the octo, easily deploy it, and it delivers gas. Perhaps not. Perhaps you will not be able to easily find the octo (what happened to my buddy when I went to him the one time I ever ran out of gas). Perhaps the hose is caught on something. Perhaps your buddy doesn't even have the wherewithal to signal out of gas and just grabs the thing out of your mouth. (A bungied primary is gonna suck really bad in that scenario.)

Benefit of having your backup reg on a necklace
Once you give your primary reg to an OOG buddy, you don't want to doodle around looking for a tucked backup. You need your backup reg to be always at the same place and easily accessible. A tucked octopus is neither *easily* accessible nor is it guaranteed to be exactly where you think it is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom