New bottom timer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sheck33

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all, I am looking for a new bottom timer. In their infinite wisdom, the manufacturers of the Uwatec bottomtimer, the Suunto D3 and the Suunto Mosquito have decided to discontinue these useful products.

I have a Oceanic VE200 that has a gauge mode, but every time I turn that thing on I need to set it back to gauge mode (an annoyingly long sequence of pushing buttons) because for some dumb reason it defaults back to computer mode.

Does anyone have an experience with this device?
Buy Hollis DG01 - Digital Bottom Timer 204.2350 with reviews at scuba.com

I know the Vyper can be set to a permanent gauge mode but this device has the 'feature' i.e. bug of setting the no fly time to a ridiculous 48 hrs regardless of the profile.

As the Vyper and the DG01 are about the same price I am wondering what you would pick? Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Have you considered the UWATEC Aladin TEC2G? It has a very nice gauge mode with stopwatch function and (resettable) depth averaging.

...I am looking for a new bottom timer. In their infinite wisdom, the manufacturers of the Uwatec bottomtimer, the Suunto D3 and the Suunto Mosquito have decided to discontinue these useful products.

UWATEC now makes a new version of the bottom timer called the Digital 330m.

Suunto has also released the D4 as replacement for the D3 and Mosquito. See the D4's "freedive" mode screen below.

Attachments

• D4freedive.jpg
    D4freedive.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 113
Have you considered the UWATEC Aladin TEC2G? It has a very nice gauge mode with stopwatch function and (resettable) depth averaging.

I have one of these. I put it in gauge mode the day I got it, and have never used it any other way. It does everything I'd ever want in a bottom timer, including a really nice countdown feature for running deco.

Unfortunately, it crapped out on me in Indonesia ... it'll still log dives just fine, it just doesn't allow me to read the dive statistics afterward.

I purchased it about four months ago, from LP. Not sure there's any kind of warranty. But $460 is a bit steep to pay for a BT that craps out after four months.

I don't seem to have very good luck with dive computers. So far I've had two Oceanic Versa Pro's and a Suunto Vytec crap out on me in weird ways ... now this Uwatec Tec2G. I'm considering maybe just going back to the basics ... a waterproof hourglass or something ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've had bad luck with the original UWATEC Aladin TEC version - the TEC2G version has been problem free for me (130 dives so far).

Unfortunately, it crapped out on me in Indonesia ... it'll still log dives just fine, it just doesn't allow me to read the dive statistics afterward.

I purchased it about four months ago, from LP. Not sure there's any kind of warranty. But $460 is a bit steep to pay for a BT that craps out after four months.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

LP replaced my Uwatec Tec that died. They actually gave me the purchase price as credit and I paid the difference for the newer 2G. Send it in soon I have had 2 Uwatec Tecs and 1 Suunto Vytec die as well. The only one that is still running - a 10 year old Uwatec bottom timer. But, the features on the newer stuff is very usefull.

They almost all do a 48 hour time to fly when in gauge mode.

LP replaced my Uwatec Tec that died. They actually gave me the purchase price as credit and I paid the difference for the newer 2G. Send it in soon I have had 2 Uwatec Tecs and 1 Suunto Vytec die as well. The only one that is still running - a 10 year old Uwatec bottom timer. But, the features on the newer stuff is very usefull.

They almost all do a 48 hour time to fly when in gauge mode.

Please don't touch any of my electronic stuff.. OK? :shakehead: :D:D

Thanks for the replies, I'll have a look at the suggestions made. I hadnt found anything yet about the new BT Uwatec apparently came out with. Some of these alternatives seem a bit on the pricey side, considering all I want is a BT/depth gauge without needing all the other stuff these devices calculate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom