New bottom timer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't understand why dive computers (or bottom timers) crap out so often, and why companies make $1,500 dive computers when they can't make cheapo computers that always work.
I've had a few Uwatec bottom timers crap out -- reading weird depths or saying I'm 2ft underwater when I'm gearing up in the parking lot.

Honestly, here's the main pieces of a bottom timer/dive computer:
  • pressure transducer
  • thermometer
  • LCD display
  • battery
  • computer chip with a bit of hard-coded firmware
  • memory
  • waterproof pressure case
  • water sensor (not 100% sure how this works, I'm sure it involves electrical current between a few contacts)
  • board to solder stuff together
That's it. Nothing more. I don't have the engineering/programming knowledge or know-how to make one of these things but I spent enough time in engineering to know that it really wouldn't be difficult to make one that works every time you use it (assuming no flooding).

Awhile ago I took apart my old DiveRite NiTek Plus, found the main chip, and looked up the product number. Turns out it's just a clock IC.

This is the inside of a Uwatec bottom timer. It ended up in this condition after it told me I was 2ft deep in the parking lot, after a long stressful trip where nothing was working. It had a run-in with a hammer. :11:
Note the lack of complicated stuff -- board, LCD display, battery, and case.

Why these instruments break so often is completely beyond me. :shakehead:

Good job.....:D

China might be able to make it at $10. Shall I subcontract it to China? :eyebrow:

Mine is from Any Water Sports in San Jose. There are quite a few tech divers in the Seattle area, I'm sure TS&M or any of the others can point you towards a local shop that carries them. IIRC, msrp is about $230, and I've seen them for a tad over $200.

Thanks for the info. I will look into it. Appreciate all the replies. :)

the nitek duo and the suunto vytec make good bottom timers too.

BTW, the logging malfunction that Bob referred to above in the Tec2G may have turned out to be an oversensitivity to any water in the boot. I had the same "problem" with mine, but it went away after the computer was out of the water for a couple of days (rare for my computer :) ), and I talked to Bob and he said his began to work after some dry time, too.

There's a DSS bungee mount available for the Tec2G too. I've been happy diving mine as a computer, and the gauge mode is waiting for me when I start my tech training.

The new Uwatec 330M SUCKS, I don't speak METRIC. Sorry I'm just a good ole' Southern American Red White and Blue feet and PSI kind of diver.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom