DIR- Generic Bottom timer recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm using a scuba pro TEC 2G or G2, lol. i don't recall which but despite looking very simplistic it does everything from gas switching to Guage mode. Downloads over IR way more reliably than all the Suunto wired ones i have. I don't use dive watches as they don't seem reliable at depth. Ie they flood on me.

The Suunto Zoop Novo and Vyper Novo, both have a gauge mode that has a resetable timer with seconds that starts at the start of the dive. It also has the total dive time (in minutes) that doesn't reset. I resest the timer as I start my ascent and my slate has a column that reads like this (start of ascent defined as 0mins) to help. Suunto zoop novos can be picked up for £100 second hand.

Since this is a tech branch and he is asking for a bottom timer, I'm going to say he's doing fundamentals or something. In that case, a Suunto doesn't lend itself to tech diving due to the algorithm he'll want later.

Since this is a tech branch and he is asking for a bottom timer, I'm going to say he's doing fundamentals or something. In that case, a Suunto doesn't lend itself to tech diving due to the algorithm he'll want later.
In gauge mode the algorithm isn't an issue. It is a very nice gauge mode and their availibility second hand make them a choice to consider IMO.

In gauge mode the algorithm isn't an issue. It is a very nice gauge mode and their availibility second hand make them a choice to consider IMO.
Definitely if someone can pick it up for the cost of a watch, then you get the benefit of a basic nitrox computer as an added bonus. Just have to consider whether you want to use rgbm if you are going to go further later. I own two cobras and cobra 3 as well as suuntos back to the Companion. They were generally fine except for the pressure sensors going out.

If he is doing Fundamentals, a Suunto in Gaugemode will lend itself good enough as a backup on any GUE curriculum dive. It will even do really nicely as a nitroxcomputer on those nice rec-liveaboards with 4 or 5 dives a day. So wouldnt worry about that.

If he is doing Fundamentals, a Suunto in Gaugemode will lend itself good enough as a backup on any GUE curriculum dive. It will even do really nicely as a nitroxcomputer on those nice rec-liveaboards with 4 or 5 dives a day. So wouldnt worry about that.

Wow, this thread is still alive. No on fundamentals. I took fundies probably 15 years ago. I needed a second bottom timer as I have a family member who was getting into diving. She inherited my tec2g and I wound up picking up a shearwater peregrine.

One thing I am curious about - what is all this talk about tech and needing a computer? I did plenty of tech dives using my tec2g in gauge mode. Has GUE moved from using bottom timers to computers to do tech dives?

Shameless plug:

Wow, this thread is still alive. No on fundamentals. I took fundies probably 15 years ago. I needed a second bottom timer as I have a family member who was getting into diving. She inherited my tec2g and I wound up picking up a shearwater peregrine.

One thing I am curious about - what is all this talk about tech and needing a computer? I did plenty of tech dives using my tec2g in gauge mode. Has GUE moved from using bottom timers to computers to do tech dives?
Computers have came a long way. They’re a valid tool.

I always plan in advance and follow my plan conservatively, namely I do a bit of deco more if I can (speaking about 5/10minutes in the tec1 range). So in theory I don't need any computer... But computers are nice tools, they're reliable and you never know if they will help or not - so why not to have one, or even two?

This is the same approach of all my friends who got certified with GUE.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom