New booking policy for Clearly Cayman Beach Resorts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even if they can get more airlift to Little Cayman - not that I really want to arrive and depart there in the same window as all 80 or eventually 110 people - there is still GCM to contend with. We just left GCM Monday noonish, and the new departure lounge got pretty full. The way they're building on the island, I wonder if that new airport will be over capacity before it's actually finished. GCM aside, we prefer traveling off times anywhere we can even on the US side - more likely to get upgrades or at least not be on a packed plane by avoiding weekends.

Caribbean trips for us, a week is too short and 2 weeks is too long. We tend to do 10-12 nights, maybe all one place, maybe split between 2 spots. We may be outliers but this allows none of what we prefer. Oh well.

There are other models they could follow. Even timeshares that rent mainly on a week basis usually seem to have staggered start dates such as Fri, Sat, or Sun to choose from. Some resorts have a midweek option, which allows them to timeblock better while giving people the options of 3/4/7/10/11 nights.
I'm with you - we avoid weekends like the plaugue and like to do 10 days. Was thinking we could pop over to LC for 3-4 days while on a GCM trip (longer won't work with our non diving spouses) - it looks like that won't work with the Clearly Cayman reosorts, so will have to look at other options.

Even if they can get more airlift to Little Cayman - not that I really want to arrive and depart there in the same window as all 80 or eventually 110 people - there is still GCM to contend with. We just left GCM Monday noonish, and the new departure lounge got pretty full. The way they're building on the island, I wonder if that new airport will be over capacity before it's actually finished. GCM aside, we prefer traveling off times anywhere we can even on the US side - more likely to get upgrades or at least not be on a packed plane by avoiding weekends.

Caribbean trips for us, a week is too short and 2 weeks is too long. We tend to do 10-12 nights, maybe all one place, maybe split between 2 spots. We may be outliers but this allows none of what we prefer. Oh well.

There are other models they could follow. Even timeshares that rent mainly on a week basis usually seem to have staggered start dates such as Fri, Sat, or Sun to choose from. Some resorts have a midweek option, which allows them to timeblock better while giving people the options of 3/4/7/10/11 nights.

If true (and sure sounds like it is), this is a freaking tragedy.

They are not the only show in town.

I'm with you - we avoid weekends like the plaugue and like to do 10 days. Was thinking we could pop over to LC for 3-4 days while on a GCM trip (longer won't work with our non diving spouses) - it looks like that won't work with the Clearly Cayman reosorts, so will have to look at other options.

Be sure to contact their reservations department and request your preferred dates, and if they cannot accommodate you then let them know that you plan to take your business elsewhere. If they find that they are losing business, including long-established repeat customers, they may reconsider their new policies.

I’ve now confirmed with my contact: “Yes, it is true. In an effort to keep our room inventory consistent throughout the week, the resorts now require a 7 night, Saturday to Saturday stay.”

Unbelievable and unbelievably bad news.

Frankly a dive resort where they are going to try to get 80 to 100 divers out on boats roughly at the same time in the morning is too big for us. I feel bad for those who are repeat customers who have enjoyed their past trips. When we visit Brac we will likely rent a place on the water through a VRBO, independently shore dive and maybe a boat or two with a small op like the Scuba Shack.

My last trip to Cayman Brac Beach Resort was Monday-Monday, what a huge difference it made. I have made trips to LCBR that were 10 days. I made 2 visits to Cobalt Coast, before they also became Clearly Cayman, that were not Sat-Sat. Saturday-Saturday not only severely limits and crowds travel, but it also eliminates other than 7 day multiples. Though I can understand why they might make this move, it is extremely diver/traveler unfriendly.

I will be communicating my displeasure to Clearly Cayman. This policy may end my visits to these resorts. The more they hear, the more they may reconsider this policy. Perhaps they have plenty of folks who would be glad to comply:(

Edit: my message sent, send yours

Frankly a dive resort where they are going to try to get 80 to 100 divers out on boats roughly at the same time in the morning is too big for us. I feel bad for those who are repeat customers who have enjoyed their past trips. When we visit Brac we will likely rent a place on the water through a VRBO, independently shore dive and maybe a boat or two with a small op like the Scuba Shack.
That will be my choice too, if I return to Cayman Brac

Wow...that is extremely unfortunate. Sounds like we will make our final trip to LC for a while in 2019 after going every year for nearly a decade. We were already starting to consider going somewhere else for our 25th anniversary in 2020, and this will likely be the boot in my backside to start looking somewhere else. I go to LCBR because I hate crowds...and we travel typically fri-fri or wed-wed also because I hate crowded airports. I can't think of a worse way to start or end a nice relaxing vacation at LCBR than being forced to wait in long lines at the GC airport and then sit for an hour or two in a cramped and crowded waiting area on a Saturday afternoon.

I have been a big proponent of LCBR and CBBR over the last decade, but this just seems very short sighted. They could make up the money they are losing by raising prices overall by $5-10 per night and nobody would blink an eye. But they are going to tick a lot of people off by forcing the sat-sat schedule, not to mention needing to work with Cayman Air to have more seats available on the Saturday flights. And for anybody trying to fly United through Houston outside of the summer months, they are pretty much out of luck making the connection on their inbound flights.

Well, I guess that when I do my shorter trip to the sister islands in future I won't be staying at any of their places or diving with them. Shame. I had heard good things about it.

Here is a further response from my contact (red is hers):

Can’t seem to cut and paste but new policy is apparently that those booking within 90 days CAN book long weekend/shorter stays. Have inquired how they wil have inventory for such if selling only Saturday to Saturday for everyone else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom