New Aqualung Flagship Full Color Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a friend of mine picked up a i750TC recently for halfprice. we thought it was a good deal, but it is TERRIBLE.
the screen is USELESS. it is so DISAPPOINTINGLY dim!!!! and also VERY poor battery life. also dropped the connection dozens of times during each dive.
i'd rather have my unreliable Cobalt which I've had to send in AGAIN now fore repairs, was not reading the air pressure but do NOT fear I bought a TERIC, just waiting for it to arrive.

Back to the problem, my friend sent to the computer in to Aqualung and the LDS is offering to give him a new i770R. or else give a dollar for dollar refund and 20% discount on any Suunto.

So how do we know the screen on the i770 R is useable and not crap like the i750? at least it is rechargeable. And we don;t care about the algorithm he is not gonna do tech, only easy tropical dives.

looked at a couple of videos on Youtube, it is a TFT screen, but not convinced it is way better??

SO: try our luck with the i770R: HUGE risk, already have dented confidence in Aqualung, who just rebranded the Oceanic as the i750 ... OR run towards the Suunto EON core which by all accounts has a bright screen???

please help??

i would give the i770r a shot. it has a lcd so no oled issues like the i750. even with the discount the eon core would cost more right? the form factor is bulkier too.

seems like the predator is the only one that doesn't have issues with the oled.

i would give the i770r a shot. it has a lcd so no oled issues like the i750. even with the discount the eon core would cost more right? the form factor is bulkier too.

I wonder if that's just a case of Shearwater provided adequate battery to run the Predator screen properly bright, where maybe PPS built the 750 and had to cut back on max brightness because it already had issues with the battery life being too short. Dunno...

The Shearwater is an AMOLED. If the Aqualung used a PMOLED screen like the xDeep/Genz and the Liquivisions, it will suffer the same brightness issue/screen death.

If it used an AMOLED, it's just another tick in the, "see, Shearwater is better" box.

So..UPDATE:
We picked up the i770.
Yes, it is better.
The screen is larger, you can see the fonts on this LED screen much better than the OLED on the old i750.
Now to take it under the water.

The Shearwater is an AMOLED. If the Aqualung used a PMOLED screen like the xDeep/Genz and the Liquivisions, it will suffer the same brightness issue/screen death.

If it used an AMOLED, it's just another tick in the, "see, Shearwater is better" box.

Yup. Shearwater, Uemis, and Atomic Cobalt (+ HW?) all used the same AMOLED display. AMOLED displays have great power efficiency, a long life, and can be very high resolution. PMOLED screens, while much less expensive, have problems with the longevity of the light emitting material and also require proportionately far more battery power for equivalent brightness as the screen size and resolution increases. PMOLED is a technology best suited to very small, low resolution (usually monochrome) displays, where it can work very well.
Unfortunately AMOLED displays in dive computer friendly sizes are not currently available in small-market quantities. And diving is a very small market. That's why higher resolution dive computers are now using TFT displays.

Ron

I have to say it was hard to go back to Aqua Lung after having the i750 and putting up with changing the battery every 8-10 dives and not being able to see the screen any time I got near the surface. I would have likely gone with the Shearwater Teric but the dive shop offered me almost $300 off the i770 and only $100 against any other computer in exchange for my i750. I took it out in the sun and I could actually see the display. Youtube review suggested and manual states over 30 hours on one charge. This makes it already better than the i750. The compass functions on the main screen and this is an added bonus. Seems like a good choice. Scuba Diving magazine had the AL i770, Shearwater Teric, and Suunto Core tied. However, I am cautious since the i750 had good reviews when it came out and it is a terrible POS.
Like everyone else will tell you, unless you like to replace batteries and only dive at night, stay away from the AL i750.

A little late to the game Aqualung. Limitations like not allowing user replaceable batteries or locking you out takes it out of consideration immediately in my book.

A little late to the game Aqualung. Limitations like not allowing user replaceable batteries or locking you out takes it out of consideration immediately in my book.
Being limited to the PZ+ decompression algorithm is more important to me than the battery or lock out.

Limitations like not allowing user replaceable batteries or locking you
These are oft regurgitated arguments put forward on different types of computer by people who have nothing of consequence to add to the conversation

And yes for teh record I do have a Perdix, and can give anyone a list of it's deficiencies, because unlike most here I haven't' drunk the SW Kool aid and can look at products objectively

Reactions: Zef

Back
Top Bottom