New Apple Watch is a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just purchased the teric with AI and haven’t even used it yet but have no regrets. I need something that will not freeze and crash in a few years while on a multi day dive trip because of updates and obsolete hardware. Or some other app running in the background overheating and crashing the watch a few minutes before jumping in the water. Obviously these are just guesses based on previous experiences with apple watches and phones.

I will buy one of their next versions to replace my 20yr old Suunto Vytec as my backup once they get the bugs fixed. I’ll need a few years of user data to get me to rely on this for my primary for anything but that random 1day 1-2 tank dive on a tropical vacation. It’s awesome to see this move by Apple nonetheless.

Any computer that is running a general purpose operating system that is simultaneously handling multiple apps - especially apps from third party vendors - may lock up from time to time with unanticipated internal conflicts, etc... WIth my laptop, no big deal, I just restart it.

Not sure I want to have to do that with my dive computer, especially if I may lose deco information. Dive computers can fail too, of course, but probably from battery or sensor issues, not from software hangs.
I've owned the every iteration of the Apple Watch since they were first introduced and have never had one lock up due to software issues. The only thing that might keep me from upgrading this time around is its size on my skinny wrists. I'll have to wait until they show up in the local Apple store to see what they look like. I can't imagine that it would replace my Teric though.

I wear a 41mm SS Apple Watch 7 and love the size. 49mm is a hard no for an every day wear watch as is the teric.

My AW7 has crashed a few times in the year I owned it. My iP13P has been crashing more often lately. Probably about 10 times since I got it on release day. This will increase over the years as older models did I imagine.

I've owned the every iteration of the Apple Watch since they were first introduced and have never had one lock up due to software issues. The only thing that might keep me from upgrading this time around is its size on my skinny wrists. I'll have to wait until they show up in the local Apple store to see what they look like. I can't imagine that it would replace my Teric though.
Agee, I buy Apple products due to the reliability and low maintenance. They are they Toyota of tech.

I had (have?) high hopes for this Ultra watch. I just discovered on Oceanic's forum that the Oceanic app is subscription-only. To me, it looks like Oceanic shot itself in the foot before the watch even came out. I'd much rather pay one-time a reasonable price than to go down that micro-transaction hell of a rabbit hole. This is really unfortunate.

And, it's also going to be VERY hard to sell a Peregrine to any diver that is also an iPhone user. So, I suspect it will put a hurtin' on Shearwater, too.
Ummm, not with those of us with presbyopia who *need* the big Peregrine screen. And dig a long-lived battery.
They're not targeting you Doc. You're 45 years past their target market. Nor me. But they will sell a lot of these to Millennials, Gen Xers, Yers, Alphas etc. Perhaps it may bring us some more divers. Who knows?
Yes, unlike some of us, them young’uns will be able to read the info. Nemrod nailed it:
Maybe get one to ride beside my much larger screen Peregrine. You guys are right, my age group is not the target because I cannot see it.
Apple-only guy since 1995, yet still have never sprung for an AW nor an IP > 6S. I’ll wait and see. Not regretting the Peregrine at all. But AI wouldn’t hurt.

I was going to disagree with this, but in writing my response I realized that you may be right (leaving aside the quibble about calling a DC "life support").

Any computer that is running a general purpose operating system that is simultaneously handling multiple apps - especially apps from third party vendors - may lock up from time to time with unanticipated internal conflicts, etc... WIth my laptop, no big deal, I just restart it.

Not sure I want to have to do that with my dive computer, especially if I may lose deco information. Dive computers can fail too, of course, but probably from battery or sensor issues, not from software hangs.
Having wrote software for insulin pumps, dedicated software/hardware or F off.

Is the display backlit for night dives? How does this affect battery life? If you are doing five 1 hour long dives a day on a LOB, are you going to be running around at lunch time trying to recharge?

My current dive computer needs a new battery every 5 years or so. So this daily charging appears to be a big issue. I also carry a backup computer that lives in my bcd pocket. Dragging it out every day to charge seems like a non starter.

Is the display backlit for night dives? How does this affect battery life? If you are doing five 1 hour long dives a day on a LOB, are you going to be running around at lunch time trying to recharge?

My current dive computer needs a new battery every 5 years or so. So this daily charging appears to be a big issue. I also carry a backup computer that lives in my bcd pocket. Dragging it out every day to charge seems like a non starter.
Charging daily is a non issue. I treat my Teric like it needs daily charging and it’s not an issue for anyone with pulse and that can fog a mirror. Worst case you need an external battery bank, if you are in a place without reliable charging, but statement still stands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom