New Apple Watch is a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charging daily is a non issue. I treat my Teric like it needs daily charging and it’s not an issue for anyone with pulse and that can fog a mirror. Worst case you need an external battery bank, if you are in a place without reliable charging, but statement still stands.
That was not the question. Will it require charging more than once a day?

No one knows yet. I would guess no, provided starting the day with a full battery.
That would be a huge concern. LOB life means the app will be crunching away all day (and all night). I am sure this load will cause unexpected battery level issues...

That would be a huge concern. LOB life means the app will be crunching away all day (and all night). I am sure this load will cause unexpected battery level issues...
Actually think it will be relatively light on the battery. Think it will airplane mode basically which has great battery life even when playing games/video editing etc

Actually think it will be relatively light on the battery. Think it will airplane mode basically which has great battery life even when playing games/video editing etc
I do not understand your reply. Once you hit the water the app will be constantly calculating tissue loads. Once you leave the water the app will still be constantly calculating tissue loads for 12? to 24? and longer? hours. A dive computer does not turn off once you leave the water....

I do not understand your reply. Once you hit the water the app will be constantly calculating tissue loads. Once you leave the water the app will still be constantly calculating tissue loads for 12? to 24? and longer? hours. A dive computer does not turn off once you leave the water....
Yes but those calculations don’t drain the battery substantially. Powering radios and driving the screen are what kill the battery. I can have an iPhone last a week in airplane mode or a day with Wi-Fi and cellular.

Yes but those calculations don’t drain the battery substantially. Powering radios and driving the screen are what kill the battery. I can have an iPhone last a week in airplane mode or a day with Wi-Fi and cellular.
Agreed that screens and radios consume power. So do cpu's. It will be interesting to discover what the real life cpu load and hence battery drain will be.

My phone and laptop can both drain their battery in under an hour when number crunching. I have no idea what the dive app cpu load on this watch will be. But I would not dismiss it out of hand until more information is available.

I think that Shearwater need not lose any sleep about about this. Garmin OTOH is squarely in Apple’s sights. Remember that this watch is good for hiking, biking, running and oh yes, diving too. Going to be interesting f’sure. Cressi/Sherwood/Aqualung/Suunto can’t be too happy about this either. Nor dive shops. Customers there are going to hear the word “gimmick” a lot. 😎

I just never liked the Apple watch so it’s a non-starter for me.
Huish owns Suunto so…

I have an Apple Watch and I find it uncomfortable when compared to my Seiko dive watch. That curved glass sensor hurts my wrist. It is very annoying. I can’t see myself wearing an even bulkier and heavier Ultra.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom