New Apple Watch is a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of bands comes in yum-yum yellow. šŸ˜‚

1662598088313.png

Your Galaxy watch does 2 days on dry land. LOL
2 days with all sensors on compared to an apple watch that is begging for a charger when you go to bed. I'll take that.

That ship sailed in 2007. Or maybe you donā€™t own a smartphone?
Smart phone is by design a jack of all trades. Phone, computer, mp3. I've had better phones, better computers, and better music players but they aren't as portable or convenient as my phone. A dedicated DC is the better option when serving as a life support tool.

Very tempting. Iā€™ve always wanted to know how many calories Iā€™m burning while diving. I wear my Apple Watch daily and track my cardio and make sure I close my rings. This is pretty cool. But Iā€™ve only had my Peregrine for about a year. But my watch is getting old and may not be able to upgrade on the next software update. But I donā€™t need this thing. But ā€¦.

A dedicated DC is the better option when serving as a life support tool.

I was going to disagree with this, but in writing my response I realized that you may be right (leaving aside the quibble about calling a DC "life support").

Any computer that is running a general purpose operating system that is simultaneously handling multiple apps - especially apps from third party vendors - may lock up from time to time with unanticipated internal conflicts, etc... WIth my laptop, no big deal, I just restart it.

Not sure I want to have to do that with my dive computer, especially if I may lose deco information. Dive computers can fail too, of course, but probably from battery or sensor issues, not from software hangs.

I was going to disagree with this, but in writing my response I realized that you may be right (leaving aside the quibble about calling a DC "life support").
That's why I called it a life support "tool". It tells us critical info about our life support at a glance. Thanks for the always enlightening posts btw

That's why I called it a life support "tool". It tells us critical info about our life support at a glance. Thanks for the always enlightening posts btw

Yeah, like I said, a quibble more about semantics than diving! :D

I was actually all set to order one when you made me think about the times that my phone, laptop and watch have needed a restart...

Speaking of life support:

"There is a firmware update available for your Apple rebreather, which must be installed at this point. Please ascend to your next staged decompression stop and click ā€œokā€ to begin downloading. Once the download has completed, your rebreather will restart, and ascent may be continued . If your rebreather does not restart, please call our technical support line. We are experiencing higher than normal call volumesā€¦"

10 Apple devices in a family of three probably qualifies me as a Level 10 Apple Nerd but I have zero interest in this multi-functional watch.

Striding off the back of the boat, I shall shout in defiance, ā€œGive me Shearwater or give me death.ā€

No one is buying the Apple watch to replace a Shearwater. Diving is just a bonus feature in addition to everything else. I doubt that anyone on a New Jersey dive boat will sport one. But at a Club Med?

In other words, not too many on SB with high post counts. This is not their target audience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom