New Apple Watch is a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's on the oceanic video (not the apple one) towards the end.

Will it repair or replace it if it gets flooded at recreational depths?

It's possible that the sensor has more depth limitations than the watch case.

The watch is rated to 100m, or at least that is what one site was saying. The app will only support 40m. Blame Oceanic not apple for this one. Wish the stupid EU certs weren't behind a paywall.

The watch is rated to 100m, WR100m. The app will only support 40m. Blame Oceanic not apple for this one.
The old watches were "rated to 50m"** but could only be taken swimming.

** not to be used for scuba diving or taking anywhere near that depth, see ISO-123-456-789

The old watches were "rated to 50m"** but could only be taken swimming.

** not to be used for scuba diving or taking anywhere near that depth, see ISO-123-456-789
yeah, my bad. Some site was reporting a 100m rating,but of course now can't find it. All I can find on Apple's site is WR100 and that its' EN 13319 certified, but can't find anything that says what EN 13319 actually is without paying for the PDF which is a firm nope. Still willing to bet sensor isn't the limited to 40m, but that's all Oceanic was willing to deal with.

yeah, my bad. Some site was reporting a 100m rating,but of course now can't find it. All I can find on Apple's site is WR100 and that its' EN 13319 certified, but can't find anything that says what EN 13319 actually is without paying for the PDF which is a firm nope. Still willing to bet sensor isn't the limited to 40m, but that's all Oceanic was willing to deal with.
Probably is the watch seals not being able to take greater than 5bar/ATA

Probably is the watch seals not being able to take greater than 5bar/ATA
Wouldn't surprise me.

I'm going to wait tell I can try on this watch, think it'll be overly large for my taste but we'll see. Would be handy/nice for pool teaching days, or casual dives. But the dive functionality wouldn't be the sole reason I get it.

You know, I actually think the opposite. I don't own a smart watch but I have given two to my aging parentals. The fall detection is really first rate, no false positives like I have heard others complaining about. And the best device is one you have on you; people don't like wearing the "life alert" bracelet or necklace, but an Apple Watch is a fashion statement.

As someone with occasional atrial fibrillation, it's VERY useful to just be able to touch my watch crown, and in 30 seconds have a rhythm strip that I can text to my doc. This is an INCREDIBLE advance in cardiac care, and it's here now. This has been clinically relevant for me on at least one occasion.

I found these two items on the Oceanic+ FAQ interesting. Oceanic+ looks to be the only app to allow diving. Air integration was not now, but maybe. Also looks like they are planning to add ability to export the divelog in the future, so may work with divelog apps.

Attachments

• PNG image.png
    PNG image.png
    68.2 KB · Views: 98
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom