New Apple Watch is a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that Shearwater need not lose any sleep about about this. Garmin OTOH is squarely in Apple’s sights. Remember that this watch is good for hiking, biking, running and oh yes, diving too. Going to be interesting f’sure. Cressi/Sherwood/Aqualung/Suunto can’t be too happy about this either. Nor dive shops. Customers there are going to hear the word “gimmick” a lot. 😎

I just never liked the Apple watch so it’s a non-starter for me.

I found these two items on the Oceanic+ FAQ interesting. Oceanic+ looks to be the only app to allow diving. Air integration was not now, but maybe. Also looks like they are planning to add ability to export the divelog in the future, so may work with divelog apps.
Very helpful, there's a lot of info. Looks like pricing will be $80 a year.

Very helpful, there's a lot of info. Looks like pricing will be $80 a year.

So a vacation diver (a majority of our certified kin) could pay $10 and have a month of this service while keeping their significantly larger apple watch on their warm water wrist. I still prefer the approach of "jack of all trades is a master of none". Maybe I'll have the $$ for my perdix at some point in the next year.

Here's why I think this is a big deal. The new Apple Watch Ultra separates the dive computer hardware from the dive computer software. For the launch, Oceanic is making an app for the watch that will sync with their app for the iPhone. But that doesn't stop any of the other manufacturers (Shearwater, Mares, ScubaPro, Aqualung, Suunto, Etc) from making their own apps too. Heck, even the dive log app makers (macdive, divelog, dive+, subsurface, etc) could make apps for the Apple Watch Ultra that sync with their iPhone and desktop dive log software! This is really really exciting.

I have pre-ordered an Ultra, and will be using it as my backup dive computer to my Shearwater Teric. And eventually if there is an app good enough, I may make it my primary dive computer.

For more info on the Watch Ultra, check out Apple's product page (scroll to the "ocean" section). And for more info on the Oceanic app, check out their announcement page.

I’m already on the Apple train, but the only reason I could see to get this is if my current Apple Watch craps out and the Buhlmann is customizable to match my Peregrine. Maybe it’d be a backup in that case. Otherwise, I’m pretty sure I’d rather stick to a dedicated dive computer. Sure wouldn’t buy one just to use as a DC, you can get a real nice computer for $800 with no ongoing subscription.

I still prefer the approach of "jack of all trades is a master of none".
That ship sailed in 2007. Or maybe you don’t own a smartphone?

They're not targeting you Doc. You're 45 years past their target market. Nor me. But they will sell a lot of these to Millennials, Gen Xers, Yers, Alphas etc. Perhaps it may bring us some more divers. Who knows?
But it has fall detection, so maybe?😆

The increase in battery life is most impactful for me. My current Apple Watch needs constant charging on backcountry trips. This addresses what I felt it lacks and added a dive app.

So does removing apple from the equation. 2+ days with my galaxy watch. Wife's crapple has to go on the charger every night.
Your Galaxy watch does 2 days on dry land. LOL

...But who knows. If there turns out to be a guage mode or gauge mode app, i'd consider upgrading my older apple watch for it, but not as a primary dive computer. But i'm not the target market either (even as a millennial software developer).
It looks like apple will ship an included "Depth" app that serves as a basic depth gauge.
Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 8.42.13 PM.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom