New (Additional) Tourist Tax

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And back bill the country of origin for all costs, including medical and or maternity charges
I'm guessing that if the country of origin is so economically terrible that people will cross through multiple other countries (Honduras) that the bill back to that country is worth less than the paper it's printed on.

Please move the political discussions that are unrelated to a tourist tax in CZM to somewhere else (/dev/null?).

Flew home from CZM last Saturday and no sign of a kiosk to pay the tax and nothing asked at check in or through security. Just had to verify covid test results at check in and fill out the health questionnaire and give to someone in the security line.

Just received an email (actually 2) from my timeshare company, RCI, stating that the 2 resorts I'm staying at later in the year notified them that there is a "Mandatory Usage Fee" of $10 U.S. and that foreigners must complete a form and payment at the Visitax website prior to departure.

Brother!! How confusing this can be to timeshare owners - if I didn't know better I might think I have to pay the fee twice, one for each resort I'm staying at, and that I had to do it before departing from home. Fortunately, because of the website given, I know that the usage fee is actually the QR tourist tax and that I have options of when and how to pay it.

Has anyone used the Visitax website yet? If so, does it only charge the tourist tax fee ($10) or is there a fee on top of that to use the website? Will be interested to see if in the months to come, Coz airport is still the same as @Saxonjd reported in previous thread.

Just received an email (actually 2) from my timeshare company, RCI, stating that the 2 resorts I'm staying at later in the year notified them that there is a "Mandatory Usage Fee" of $10 U.S. and that foreigners must complete a form and payment at the Visitax website prior to departure.

Brother!! How confusing this can be to timeshare owners - if I didn't know better I might think I have to pay the fee twice, one for each resort I'm staying at, and that I had to do it before departing from home. Fortunately, because of the website given, I know that the usage fee is actually the QR tourist tax and that I have options of when and how to pay it.

Has anyone used the Visitax website yet? If so, does it only charge the tourist tax fee ($10) or is there a fee on top of that to use the website? Will be interested to see if in the months to come, Coz airport is still the same as @Saxonjd reported in previous thread.
I would not pay a tax to the resort or time share and if/when they start collecting the tax at the airport plan on paying it there.
Begrudgingly

I would not pay a tax to the resort or time share

I didn't mean to imply that the time share or resort was collecting the tourist tax fee, only that it was presented to me, by my timeshare, as another fee that would need to be paid. I'm not paying the tax in advance as who knows what the deal will look like when I go in November.

FYI for, at least, RCI timeshare people; under the fees listed that one has to pay at resorts in Quintana Roo, it now reads that there is a "Mandatory Usage Fee" which is $10 U.S. and that foreigners must take care of at the Visitax website. It does not tell you that it is the tourist tax.

Begrudgingly

Haha!! I agree!!

Fees have become crazy in Mexico. A resort we really like in PDC has a 3% state lodging tax, $53.78 local currency environmental tax, and a $700 amenities/resort fee for a 2 bedroom, one week stay. The $700 is new within the last 3 or so years and the reason we aren't booking that resort again.

One resort we are staying at in Coz in Nov. has a $2.82/night environmental tax and a resort fee of $26.24/night. The following week, the resort we will be at has a $2.52/night environmental tax and a state lodge tax of $60 for the week. Both resorts are for a 2 bedroom unit. Can't get away from paying those fees/taxes but luckily those are fees split with our traveling friends.

Fees have become crazy in Mexico. A resort we really like in PDC has a 3% state lodging tax, $53.78 local currency environmental tax, and a $700 amenities/resort fee for a 2 bedroom, one week stay. The $700 is new within the last 3 or so years and the reason we aren't booking that resort again.

One resort we are staying at in Coz in Nov. has a $2.82/night environmental tax and a resort fee of $26.24/night. The following week, the resort we will be at has a $2.52/night environmental tax and a state lodge tax of $60 for the week. Both resorts are for a 2 bedroom unit. Can't get away from paying those fees/taxes but luckily those are fees split with our traveling friends.

and as long as people keep agreeing to pay those fees, they will continue, and will most likely increase.

and as long as people keep agreeing to pay those fees, they will continue, and will most likely increase.
The usual choices are pay or don't go.

The usual choices are pay or don't go.

correct. although i would say it should be...."pay or go somewhere else:. :) imo too many people are too accepting of these new types of fees (and i am not trying single out mexico). the power is in the hands of the consumer. stop agreeing to pay the fees and go elsewhere. if we all did this, the fees would disappear. simple.

correct. although i would say it should be...."pay or go somewhere else:. :) imo too many people are too accepting of these new types of fees (and i am not trying single out mexico). the power is in the hands of the consumer. stop agreeing to pay the fees and go elsewhere. if we all did this, the fees would disappear. simple.
Suit yourself, but I'm not going to refuse to go to Cozumel over a 10 buck US charge. Color me part of the problem, I guess.

Reactions: EdC
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom