New (Additional) Tourist Tax

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In many neighborhoods in SF, a private company was able to add a melo roos tax for street cleaning and "promoting" the neighborhood businesses. Why should residents be taxed to promote neighborhood businesses? Like you said, if they want more business, they should use their own funds. The tax is as much as the tax to help the local schools. It's ridiculous. Further, it's indexed to inflation and is a 15 year contract. While I do see it benefiting some workers who are cleaning the streets, I'm pretty sure this private entity is paying its management multiple times over because each district is its own entity.
Are these the fees they charge to hire someone to power wash all the human poop off the sidewalks? What about the money that goes to the homeless each month to pay them to be on the street, do they still do that?

The worst part is that it comes at the end for many, making it the last memory of the trip.
If it is implemented the way the departure tax was when it was a separate charge on exiting, it won't be a big deal. It was just a credit card charge when checking in at the airline desk. I expect that it will soon be incorporated into the air fare, the same as the other one was. YMMV, but it doesn't move the needle for me.

Not sure if the airlines will go along as this is a state tax as opposed to a federal tax. Can you imagine the signal it would send to the tax everything states like Cali or NY?

Not sure if the airlines will go along as this is a state tax as opposed to a federal tax. Can you imagine the signal it would send to the tax everything states like Cali or NY?

I don't think the states would be able to do any such thing as interstate/international commerce is a federal issue. I'm curious if it will even hold up in Mexico once the Mx feds notice what they are doing.

With few exceptions airports are owned by the government. They would just add in an airport tax, in fact there are a ton of that already. You just don't see them as in the US they are required to roll all the fees into the ticket price.

With few exceptions airports are owned by the government. They would just add in an airport tax, in fact there are a ton of that already. You just don't see them as in the US they are required to roll all the fees into the ticket price.
Airports in Mexico are federally owned, not state. There is already a federal tourist tax. If the airlines collect it and remit it with the existing tax it would go to Mexico city. Once money goes into Mexico city it tends to disappear. What do you think happens to the marine park fees? Another good historic example was the Bracero program.

Airports in Mexico are federally owned, not state. There is already a federal tourist tax. If the airlines collect it and remit it with the existing tax it would go to Mexico city. Once money goes into Mexico city it tends to disappear. What do you think happens to the marine park fees? Another good historic example was the Bracero program.

Put a toll booth just outside the airport. Anyone attempting to enter the airport without a Mexican ID is charged 220 pesos.

More than likely Q.Roo is grease the right palms and it will get collected just like they want it.

Put a toll booth just outside the airport. Anyone attempting to enter the airport without a Mexican ID is charged 220 pesos.

More than likely Q.Roo is grease the right palms and it will get collected just like they want it.
In effect this is what they have done

As previously posted in the Mexico main forum Quintana Roo is instituting a new tourist tax of $224 MXN (currently about $11USD) starting on April 1. The new tax will not be included in your ticket which already has an approximately $30 USD Mexico tourist tax baked in. Visitors will be required to pay the tax prior to departure.
DandyDon:
The most appealing cash cow to milk is the one who doesn't vote locally.
So, WHY would I want to pay an (ADDITIONAL) tax to a locale where I am ALREADY the one helping them out, by bringing them money through my tourism?

You want me to come and spend my money with you? You better make it REALLY appealing. Or, I will spend it elsewhere. (Or, not at all.) I am not as desparate to travel as some locales (apparently) are desparate for revenue.

I certainly have no objection to them levying the tax. I even applaud everyone who goes there, and pays the 'vigorish' - their choice. And, I don't have to go there.

Mexican government: we want to collect an extra $40 from you for your week here ($4.50 per day marine park fee, $11 departure tax.)

Some people:
this is outrageous

US government: we want you to take a covid test, which costs about $40, before you get on the plane to come home.

Same people: oh, yeah, that's a good idea. Gotta stay safe.

I'm heading to Coz April 10, so I get to pay for both. I'm still getting a heck of a deal... our week of diving, dining and siestas will still be under $1500 pp, including airfare. And if the extra $80 somehow helps the citizens of QR, all the better.

Back
Top Bottom